Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does rain go through grates?  (Read 1015 times)

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Does rain go through grates?
« on: March 07, 2010, 11:52:41 pm »

I want to pave the ground with stone, with the occasional grate to let rainwater fill natural ponds underneath (which are connected to fill wells that I have). The map rains almost constantly and I am just curious as to if rain will collect in a natural pool that is covered by a grate. Does anyone know?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: Does rain go through grates?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:33:59 am »

I can't give you the answer but, if it rains non-stop, you could test it for the sake of dwarven science! Give us the answer and put it on the wiki grate page ;P
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Steveninn

• Bay Watcher
  • What ya' lookin at there buddy?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:57:50 am »

I tought rainwater only gathers up if its a brook tile underneath. Report back soon. :o
I think of it as what would happen if The Sims and Lemmings had a baby, which was then adopted by the Balrog.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:13:03 am »

I miss having weather turned on...  :'(

IIRC rainwater doesn't fall from the sky it seeps out of murky pool tiles during a rainstorm. Not a single grass tile will be muddied but murky pools will get a little extra water. I think they have to be Light and outside for rain to reach them, but a grate makes the tile light and inside... So best guess is no... would still like to see this tested!

^.o

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:34:46 am »

I believe that grates will prevent the pools from filling because it makes the tile inside as the previous poster said. Also, river, brook and murky pool tiles will all fill up in rain.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:46:04 am »

Murky Pools are teh only thing effected by rain as long as nothing is constructed over them.  Rivers and Brooks get water from the edge of the map.  IIRC, it is possible to permanently dam it with obsidian.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 08:57:09 am »

Or various other means, and if they are dammed the river tiles will fill up with water if it is raining.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 08:27:35 pm »

Thus far the experiment says "no"... I'm going to let the game run for a full year before I declare it impossible.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 09:27:18 pm »

I have already tried it, it doesn't work.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.