Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Na'Vi and Humans are Elves vs Dwarves  (Read 8677 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Na'Vi and Humans are Elves vs Dwarves
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2010, 03:56:31 pm »

even if it is as little as four thousand years, that is still a huge amount - technological progress is not linear over time.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2010, 04:03:39 pm »

Navi != Elves

Why? The Na'Vi didn't eat their dead or the dead of others. Nor did they comment about how those tree huggers ATE the cornel's daughter or sister or wife or other significant other.

They also did not keep animals in cages and pass them around as gifts.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2010, 04:43:46 pm »

Doesn't explain how a pre-industrial society of intelligent beings can hope to escape a Malthusian catastrophe. 

Surely you jest, it's more like 4000 years.  Faster if we didn't have the various Dark Ages. (and equivalents in non-european areas)

(and protection from when humans manage to colonize the star system and some extremist group borrows a tugboat >.>)

Well yea, I guess they never did seem to get sick, but their lifestyle does seem prone to injury.  I would assume they avoid malthusian catastrophe by starving and fighting when populations overshoot available food resources.  Or else they just make less babies to keep population constant, which seems exactly like the sort of biological technology that they would be given to make all the horrible parts of traditional lifestyles disappear  :-X

Humans have been extracting and using copper for at least 10,000 years and non-sedintary agriculture probly started before that.  The aliens have better stuff then copper, clearly, but the knowledge of how to extract it and work it is still something they would need along the way to whatever their industrial level society would look like.  And yea they probly will want an industrial civilization someday, if only to protect the traditional lifestyle they prefer.  Its not reasonable to assume that benevolent humans would even be able to protect them if a couple of space conquistadors decided to drop the hammer of physics on them for whatever reason.  Somehow I don't see people parking a UN Space Fleet there for all eternity to keep the curious or greedy from messing with the place. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:45:59 pm by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Yarn

• Bay Watcher
  • DF + SANITY = 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2010, 04:44:10 pm »

Thats because they don't even have cages, maybe the humans should have traded them for some more mundane techs like cage making, or metalworking in general.
WE ARE THE DWARVES
LOWER YOUR SANITY AND SURRENDER YOUR MIND
WE WILL ADD YOUR LIKES AND DISLIKES TO OUR OWN
YOU MIND WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 04:47:26 pm »

Thats because they don't even have cages, maybe the humans should have traded them for some more mundane techs like cage making, or metalworking in general.

But what would you trade the cages for? 20 bins of cloth and a few bags of berries?

/pass
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2010, 07:02:54 pm »

get your Avatar out of my Dwarf Fortress D:
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 08:23:25 pm »

get your Avatar out of my Dwarf Fortress D:

This guy has got it right.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 08:44:45 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:41:11 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2010, 08:46:19 pm »

... he meant the movie.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2010, 08:50:09 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:41:20 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2010, 08:52:55 pm »

I am Acanthus117, destroyer of puns!
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2010, 08:55:59 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 12:41:27 am by Bauglir »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2010, 09:19:09 pm »

I love these forums.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2010, 03:08:09 am »

Theres talk bout the second movie being about UNDERGROUND Na'Vi. With lots of creatures that live in magma and dark corners. Na'Vi are dwarvish (not dwarfish (dwarFISH are part Carp (taht would be so friggin EPICBEAST)))
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2010, 03:57:07 am »

Theres talk bout the second movie being about UNDERGROUND Na'Vi. With lots of creatures that live in magma and dark corners. Na'Vi are dwarvish (not dwarfish (dwarFISH are part Carp (taht would be so friggin EPICBEAST)))
That would make me kill myself in agony.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5