Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Na'Vi and Humans are Elves vs Dwarves  (Read 8682 times)

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Na'Vi and Humans are Elves vs Dwarves
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:24 am »

They also didn't undermine the entire forest, then link all the supports to a lever, and pull the lever to cause 'fun' for the Na'Vi. Drop em 10 z-levels and /carbon fiber bones/ are not much help.

They were planning on mining down underneath the "elven" city to get at the adamant...er...unobtanium.  So you might be able to make a case...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 09:29:39 am »

Now I'm wondering what kind of HFS they would have found if they had suceeded.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:32 am »

Lets hope for their sake it isn't the !!clowns.!!  For our sake, let's hope it is the multi-armed clowns.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 10:37:51 am »

Also they used napalm instead of magma. Still lots of burning.

I've started a thread like this some time ago. It's too obvious not to notice.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 10:40:58 am »

Lets hope for their sake it isn't the !!clowns.!!  For our sake, let's hope it is the multi-armed clowns.

Yes, because we're all so turned on by the thought of "tentacle rape".

So let's go over what we have so far:
Na'vi: Nature-loving hippies who wear what appears to be fragments of rope reed cloth, wield bows, sleep in a forest retreat, and are tall and slender with pointy ears. However, they don't trade in caravans or sell animals for profit. On the other hand, they do make war over the cutting down of trees.
Avatar movie Humans: Shorter and stockier by comparison, they live in inorganic constructed indoor environments, use advanced technology and precise craftsmanship, will resort to melee combat (using machines), and kill the Na'vi to mine out not-so-hidden fun stuff. However, they don't utilize magma (which to be fair did not seem to be present in their biome), they socialized much more closely with the tree-hippies than dwarves currently do, and some of them even agree with the elves about trees. They also fail to use a magma flood collapsing level of doom world-ending device weapon of mass destruction when they fail to win. On the other hand, they have lots of Fun.

Did I miss anything? I attempted to sum up what others had said and added a few.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 10:49:06 am »

The one thing that's different with the Na'vi is that their tree appears to hold the soul/memory of their ancestor (they, for the lack of a better word, can apparently "upload" themselves before they die).  So their response to to mass deforestation is more akin to what you would do is someone tries to kill your parents.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 11:02:11 am »

There isn't really a way to stand against the viewpoint of the Na'vi without being evil. I think that's well-recognized; there isn't really a gray area due to the way the story is written. While the real world is not like the world of Avatar, who knows what reasons the elves of DF have for preserving trees? Maybe the trees of DF are to them what the trees of Fangorn Forest are to Treebeard in Tolkien's books, and chopping them down is akin to murder?

I don't know if we can examine the metaphysical differences due to the (temporary) lack of detail at that level in DF.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 11:25:56 am »

Like Deon said, they did use magma. Ranged magma.
I would also add that the Na'vi use animals A. in warfare, like the next version, and B . for outsiders, but only if the relations go down before trying to make peace.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Naros

• Bay Watcher
  • [COVETS_SPOONS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 01:14:15 pm »

*sync with lavatrap*

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 01:37:42 pm »

The Na'vi are exactly like elves in that I long to chop down their precious trees, then make +carbon fibre bone bolts+ from their corpses when I'm done hacking them to bits.

I also have no problem believing that the Na'vi would take pleasure in cannibalism

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 02:30:13 pm »

One thing i hated about Avatar was the fact that the film was only a few pixels away from flashing a bright red "ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES" over the entire screen.

If it weren't for that USB compatible forest/giant brain making the audience go all "awww", nobody would have been rooting for that xenofobic bunch.

Is there ANY fight in the movie that wasn't started by the space elves?
Backstory hostilities: elves
Dozer vandalism 1: elves
Dozer vandalism 2: traitor(elves)
Big tree: elves
Final fight: elves

They also would have lost the final fight despite those deus ex machina armor piercing bows, super accurate spears, infinite ammo traitor equipment, pterodactyls that can smack a helicopter three times it's own weight around without changing course and numerical superiority that they didn't have in the rest of the movie. And that's not counting the stupidity levied onto the human side to make the elves less retarded like the 5kmph bomber, complete lack of any heavy weapons beyond combat knives for robots and their inability to hit a 3 meter tall target at roughly the same distance. You don't need your freaking eyes for that, just flail the gun around and pull the trigger when the bayonet encounters resistance.

It pretty close to triumph of the will in terms of how much of the producer's political views they tried to shove down the viewer's throat. Even the nazis pioneered more cinematography techniques beyond "spend half a billion dollars on rendering trees"

Rant aside, maybe the reason that the humans failed was because they didn't flood the entire forest with magma.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2010, 03:32:51 pm »

Also, I must extol the virtues of that colonel bloke as the ultimate dwarf comparison. Not onyl does he hate the hippy elves, but he performs several tasks to detriment them with such an intensity that he ignores silly little things like the lack of breathable air or being on fire.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2010, 06:14:16 pm »

Actually Pandora is a moon.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Ayeohx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2010, 06:38:03 pm »

What a crappy movie.  Apply magma to the whole damn franchise & James Cameron.

The dwarves aren't necessarily humans.  The dwarves are just looking for a place to call home.  The humans in that three-hour-waste-of-my-time were just greedy Americans stealing the natural resources from the poor nobles Indians.  I mean Na'vi.  Screw that movie.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 06:56:19 pm »

What a crappy movie.  Apply magma to the whole damn franchise & James Cameron.

The dwarves aren't necessarily humans.  The dwarves are just looking for a place to call home.  The humans in that three-hour-waste-of-my-time were just greedy Americans stealing the natural resources from the poor nobles Indians.  I mean Na'vi.  Screw that movie.

The only thing I liked was the Dakka. Imagine if your dwarves got AMP suits. *drool*

District 9 was cooler.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5