Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wiki recategorization?  (Read 1491 times)

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wiki recategorization?
« on: March 07, 2010, 09:20:24 pm »

I spent some time trying to figure out where this belongs, so sorry if I have this in the wrong section.
But is it just me or is every single page that applies to 40d now recategorized as 40d:name instead of name? Is 2010 about to come out? It's creating this tension...
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki recategorization?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:14:01 pm »

You know, I was thinking the same thing today. Don't matter, 2010 will be out soon enough.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:22:16 pm »

...Something be funky. I looked at an article (Indecisive's Illustrated Tutorial) and it said it was last modified tomorrow at 1:38. This could only be more interesting if Activision sent security personnel to Toady's office!

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 01:25:24 am »

I was a part of that idea but i thought it wasn't coming in till after the new release.

The idea is "obsolete" articles will move from the default (main:) namespace to ("versionx":) namespace. When they do it the first time there should be a redirect from "main:foo" to "versionx:foo".
When the new version comes online, then ideally people will edit "main:foo" from a redirect to a "version correct article".
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 04:26:41 am »

...Something be funky. I looked at an article (Indecisive's Illustrated Tutorial) and it said it was last modified tomorrow at 1:38. This could only be more interesting if Activision sent security personnel to Toady's office!

Time zones.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:33:30 am »

In Soviet Russia, the now is Future!
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 04:19:03 pm »

OK, good, it's not just on my end.
On a side note, I don't know if this is bad style (Blizzard for example is really bad with release dates) but when's 2010 expected? (besides in 2010 of course)
At 55 frames per minute.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 05:36:21 pm »

OK, good, it's not just on my end.
On a side note, I don't know if this is bad style (Blizzard for example is really bad with release dates) but when's 2010 expected? (besides in 2010 of course)

There's never been a definite time, and there still isn't.  What I think I heard is that the features are all done, but there are still unfun bugs.  Game crashes and such.  Toady's been in this final bughunting stage for a week or two now, and that's good, no reason to rush things now after all this time.

In short, I check for the release every day, and I expect it within another week or two, but it won't be done until it's done.

You can help by testing d19 release though!  No gameplay changes (to speak of), just technical changes to the graphics which seem to improve framerate.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 06:05:52 pm »

I would love to with only one problem: I play DF sometimes on an XP (where I'd love to test) and other times on a windows 98 (55 frames per MINUTE, solely out of necessity, but I've gotten a lot done on that computer in my fortress), and both off a flash drive. If d19 is likely to work just as well on 98 I might give it a shot though. Any info on that? (I'm probably the only person on this forum who plays DF on a 98 so I doubt it)
At 55 frames per minute.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 07:12:43 pm »

I would love to with only one problem: I play DF sometimes on an XP (where I'd love to test) and other times on a windows 98 (55 frames per MINUTE, solely out of necessity, but I've gotten a lot done on that computer in my fortress), and both off a flash drive. If d19 is likely to work just as well on 98 I might give it a shot though. Any info on that? (I'm probably the only person on this forum who plays DF on a 98 so I doubt it)

Sure, Win98 supports OpenGL so it ought to work fine!  Might even be installed by default.  Save games transfer between development versions too.

Nice to see someone using 98, even if it's out of necessity.  If you have a choice, you might want to install win2k instead: much stabler, about the same performance.  I fought hard and long against XP and it's memory-gobbling, heh.  And I'll *never* *ever* choose Vista.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 07:20:06 pm »

I prefer 98 because it actually has more of the low level tools like msconfig that, as I recall, were removed in 2k and Me. In my opinion both of those were pretty useless.
It's slow as heck though. It's not even an entire frame per second (occasionally it spikes to 1 fps, and I'm running DF and nothing else, not even tray processes).
At 55 frames per minute.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 07:24:30 pm »

You can, I believe, download the WinXP version of msconfig and it'll run fine on Win2000. The same may apply to whichever other things you mean.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 09:36:00 pm »

Nice to see someone using 98, even if it's out of necessity.  If you have a choice, you might want to install win2k instead: much stabler, about the same performance.  I fought hard and long against XP and it's memory-gobbling, heh.  And I'll *never* *ever* choose Vista.

Well, that won't be a hard promise to keep since they already have Vista's replacement out... 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 02:35:56 am »

You could always try using linux on that box instead. Might could get more than <1 fps out of it. And the 40d## releases will run under linux natively so no need for WINE.

On that note, anyone know if DF 2010 will have a linux native bin?
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 03:15:13 am »

You could always try using linux on that box instead. Might could get more than <1 fps out of it. And the 40d## releases will run under linux natively so no need for WINE.

On that note, anyone know if DF 2010 will have a linux native bin?

It will, since d19 has a linux version (:
She/they
Pages: [1] 2