Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This is a Char Bone Battle-Axe  (Read 1629 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This is a Char Bone Battle-Axe
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:30:36 pm »

All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.  It is studded with steel, decorated with char bone and pig tail and encircled with bands of char bone, yellow jasper and turtle shell.  This object menaces with spikes of two humped camel bone, giant cave spider silk, and steel.  On the item is an image of five pointed stars in turquoice.

All in all, a pretty bad-ass artifact, though it'd be nice if they'd made it out of goblin bone instead of fish, I guess.

But what really sells it?

The name.  Tetistvakist.  "The Flimsy Laces."

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is a Char Bone Battle-Axe
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 07:42:13 pm »

I can make you're battle axe with my adamantine mug!

dun-dun-duuuuunnnnn

Tyrius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:48:56 pm »

could be worse. could have been crappie bones instead of char

"This is a crappie bone battle-axe"
because that's not the dwarven way. Could you make more statues of Urist instead of an impossibly large one chiseled out of the mountain? Sure, you could. If you want to be called a ninny elf by all your friends.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 07:50:58 pm »

We need a carp bone battle axe.
*A hero picks up the axe*
Hero:Say, Urist, what is this thing made of?
Urist:Carp bones.
Hero:OH GOD!
*Hero dashes off leaving the axe behind*

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:36:34 am »

My turtle-bone floodgate and I will just be over here, holding back the hordes of invaders while you figure out how to sharpen that thing.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 03:36:13 am »

No, what we need is an adamantine war hammer / maul, forged with the charcoal of a slain SoF, named 'The Hammer of Daemons'.

With menacing spikes of admantine, naturally.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 09:41:45 am »

and an image of a dwarf striking down a !!clown!! and an image of the hammer.  All artifacts need some recursion in them.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:15:20 am »

It also needs a dwarf who crafted the battle axe striking down a demon as an image on it
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:18:43 am »

though it'd be nice if they'd made it out of goblin bone instead of fish

I disagree. Fish bone is the perfect, surreal weapon material. And the way I see it, the more ridiculous artifacts are, the better.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 10:30:01 am »

It must have an image of its creator striking down a demon WITH THIS HAMMER.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 03:05:30 pm »

So, the dwarf decided to make the BLADE out of fish bone and DECORATE it with steel?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 04:32:02 pm »

Dwarven logic at its finest

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 04:39:21 pm »

So, the dwarf decided to make the BLADE out of fish bone and DECORATE it with steel?

And then apparently named it after elven lingerie.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:06:09 am »

All in all, a pretty bad-ass artifact, though it'd be nice if they'd made it out of goblin bone instead of fish, I guess.

There is a way to "influence" that. If you forbid all the stuff you don't want them to use they should go pick up something you do want to use. e.g. if you had forbid the char bones in the forge after it had been taken there by the moody dwarf he or she would go find some other bones so if the only non-forbidden bones are goblin ones they'll claim those. The only exception I've found is some dwarves absolutely must have a certain type of item. One of my dwarves claimed a magma forge & would only use 3 Black Bronze bars as he really liked Black Bronze. I only had 2 bars in inventory at the time & I usually forbid all the bars other than Steel, Aluminium & Platinum when I get a strange mood anyway so when I forbid them he just sulked in the workshop until I unforbid them & made a 3rd one for him (he made a Black Bronze Warhammer though). Never forbid stuff after they start making the artifact only during item collection or before a workshop is claimed as they'll fail the artifact & go insane if you do.
A less 'underhanded' way is to make a room with the workshop & stockpiles with only the type of stuff you want your dwarves to use for the artifacts. You may still need to micromanage by forbidding/claiming doors leading to your artifact workshops & your normal ones depending on your setup though.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 09:48:49 am »

Forbidding items while dwarves are allready in process of makijng some silly artifact out of it doesnt make them go nuts.

I once had some peasant go nuts over my last 3 logs of wood on a treeless map, and as I wasnt interested in a woodcrafter I just forbade his 3 logs to build a watermill that I needed.

He didnt go nuts, and even made an artifact out of nothing at all. I think it ended up being cave lobster shell or something. He even still got his legendary woodcrafter skill.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: [1] 2