Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Entombed dwarves  (Read 1035 times)

Skjarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Entombed dwarves
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:33:00 am »

It would be handy to be able to specify a "build from" direction when constructing things so my idiot dwarves don't entomb themselves when I use walls to seal off old sections of my fort.    :)

Jayfrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Entombed dwarves
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

I love that it happens often with floodgates then it's a race agianst time to hook up a lever before they suffocate...
My child got ripped to shreds by invading goblins, which caused my wife to go mad and was shot down by the town guard for attacking the brewer and they both rotted before my eyes....

But dayyumm my room looks nice

Mood: Fine

Anonemoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:16:00 am »

Just remember the directional priority when your dwarf is building something. If I remember correctly, they want to build something from the west. If the west isn't available, then they'll build from the northwest. And it just goes on and on in a clockwise fashion.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:09:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Anonemoose:
<STRONG>Just remember the directional priority when your dwarf is building something. If I remember correctly, they want to build something from the west. If the west isn't available, then they'll build from the northwest. And it just goes on and on in a clockwise fashion.</STRONG>
The basic idea is right, but the specifics are wrong. It's west-east-north-south, and then the diagonals in some order that I never bother remembering as it's only relevant for mining anyway.

Anyway, you can help restrict where dwarves stand by marking a square for building a wall, and then suspending that wall. This works for most things you care about.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 03:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>The basic idea is right, but the specifics are wrong. It's west-east-north-south, and then the diagonals in some order that I never bother remembering as it's only relevant for mining anyway.</STRONG>

It's whichever tile is most northwest, with a preference towards west during ties. There are some exceptions, where the dwarves will prefer all orthagonals over diagnals.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 05:34:00 pm »

It's very simple.

They prefer West over any other direction, East over the remainder, and finally North over South.

Once you have that distinction for the orthogonals, the same rules apply to the diagonals.  Any "west" direction over any "east" and any "north" over any "south."

Thus: NW, SW, NE, SE.

Skjarl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Anyway, you can help restrict where dwarves stand by marking a square for building a wall, and then suspending that wall. This works for most things you care about.</STRONG>

Oh now that IS clever.  Thanks!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 10:01:00 am »

Or, what works for me: designate the side from which you don't want to build as restricted traffic area and the desired side as high traffic.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>Or, what works for me: designate the side from which you don't want to build as restricted traffic area and the desired side as high traffic.</STRONG>

I for some reason have never had any luck with this method.  The suspended wall trick works well, though.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

Why do the dwarves have a preferred "build from" direction? Is it a relic of the 2D version where you always mined into the mountain from the west?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

No, it's how pathfinding / jobgeneration is coded.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

Because on one hand you have
code:
if buildjob, build from (if west!=blocked, return west, else if [...])

and on the other, you have the same except you must determine which direction the dwarf is approaching from. The former is far easier to do in most any 2D game.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 07:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>No, it's how pathfinding / jobgeneration is coded.</STRONG>
I know that. Of course it has to be coded that way for the dwarves to so religiously use a set order of directions. What I meant is why they're coded in such a way.

Sorry for any confusion.   :)

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

Also, hope on the horizon:
quote:
# Req288, FLOODGATE PLACEMENT ISSUES, (Future): It's very common for people to get blocked off by floodgates while placing them.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 12:31:00 am »

Ahh Im finally down with section of wall! Wait..somethings wrong...
FOR THE LOVE OF ARMOK MOFOL!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."