Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I just don't get coins.  (Read 10211 times)

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just don't get coins.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 11:17:38 am »

So if I understand this correctly, coins have no value in fortress mode and do not benefit the economy in any way, nor do they make anyone in particular happy, but they do lead to massive slowdowns both in cpu terms and in terms of what your dwarves can accomplish.

Right?

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 11:41:50 am »

So if I understand this correctly, coins have no value in fortress mode and do not benefit the economy in any way, nor do they make anyone in particular happy, but they do lead to massive slowdowns both in cpu terms and in terms of what your dwarves can accomplish.

Right?

I think this paragraph, word for word, should be featured prominently on the wiki page for coins.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 12:37:17 pm »

How would you make a locked vault, anyway? 
Mint all the coins BEFORE your economy comes into play and lock them up.

I've tried keeping up with the economy. But it always failed. As soon as I minted more coins as the bastard suggested and look back - he suggests i should mint more! and my well-made aluminum coins were used but nooo despite how much aluminum i had and how the dwarves liked it he suggested gold, silver and copper coins.
Thats another gay thing, the only way to make coins that are not gold, silver or copper, is to go into ENTITY_DEFAULT and mod it yourself...

But they use the currency. They hoard it and spend it and you can make coins out of iron if you want to. They just aren't ... well. listed in the currency screen
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 12:53:41 pm »

I (stupidly) made thousands of Billon coins in my first fort because I was learning by playing through Capn Duck's video tutorials & the wiki at the time (found plenty of Tetrahedrite & decided to literally exploit it's Billon producing properties). Since then I've learned to turn off the Economy. It's broken & coins are a broken implementation of a broken feature. If you are playing with Economy on ignore the wiki page on coins & the currency screen.

If you want to train a Metalsmith up use goblets, much better for metal reclamation.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 02:09:00 pm »

It's a shame coins are so broken.  I like to make 1 stack a year, so that future coin collectors can drool over them.  The fact that it marks the year of production and an image on the coins is too precious.  :)  It's like you're making something that will interlock with history.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 02:24:35 pm »

i to make a stack a year for history.
why dont traders have coins from home?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 04:37:06 pm »

i to make a stack a year for history.
why dont traders have coins from home?
The elves would be fucking your ass with +Oak Coins+
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 05:11:20 pm »

It's a shame coins are so broken.  I like to make 1 stack a year, so that future coin collectors can drool over them.  The fact that it marks the year of production and an image on the coins is too precious.  :)  It's like you're making something that will interlock with history.
Yeah, I love the images on the coins. I once tried the locked vault method in a fort, and I used all the silver I had laying around to make silver coins. (Fort never progressed far enough to actually turn the economy on.)

I do hope coins will be fixed soon. I see it as a way to brag about how rich your fort is. Fill a massive vault with gold coins and bars and statues and gems and make the walls and floor out of gold...

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 07:14:33 pm »

If you turn economy off, will the dwarfs still trade in there shop-like things?
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 08:04:10 pm »

Shops require an active economy and an active accounting system, so no.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 10:02:48 pm »

Might be best If I just had a metal-smith shop minting coins with a channel linking to a "vault-bank' type system and dump the coins in the "vault-bank" making a credit-card-type payment.
Story of my life.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 03:51:09 am »

I'm just hoping there's going to be a 'purse' or 'wallet' item for dwarves soon enough. Like quivers are for bolts, except then for every dwarf and for coins. That should make the economy and coins more bearable.

Also, make it out of rope reed cloth, by the time the economy sets in people will have plenty of rope reed cloth and/or elf corpses. Maybe some leather(All the low priced leather from human caravans..) and maybe metal(A platinium wallet with steel spikes? Dwarves will love that.)

Am I the only one that actually likes coins? I sometimes turn economy on because I like seeing all those coins on the floor in their rooms, and I can use many of the extra stone laying around after digging to make some coffers to store more coins in. Every dwarf in my fort gets a big chest filled with coins and other valuables. Tombs for everyone too, so all their coins and items they have when they die get moved there. It's a shame items only get moved one at a time...And that I can't bury the military with their armour and weapons.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 06:23:43 am »

I'm just hoping there's going to be a 'purse' or 'wallet' item for dwarves soon enough. Like quivers are for bolts, except then for every dwarf and for coins. That should make the economy and coins more bearable.

Also, make it out of rope reed cloth, by the time the economy sets in people will have plenty of rope reed cloth and/or elf corpses. Maybe some leather(All the low priced leather from human caravans..) and maybe metal(A platinium wallet with steel spikes? Dwarves will love that.)

Or they could just use their pockets?
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 06:25:49 am »

you mean your dwarves have clothes? even my king goes all natural (the first thing he did after coming to the fort was remove all of his clothes).
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 07:43:49 am »

(A platinium wallet with steel spikes? Dwarves will love that.)
*Dwarf walks down hallway*
Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.
*Is ecstatic anyway*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4