Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: I just don't get coins.  (Read 10224 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I just don't get coins.
« on: March 07, 2010, 02:54:00 pm »

I mean in relation (mostly) to the dwarven economy
So the wiki lists 3 ways to "use" coins:

Loose coins
No coins
Locked vault of coins

I don't do any of those with my coins, I just make them so my advenure can go get them and either throw the copper/misc metal coins, or spend the silver and gold ones.

But this will be the first time I play with the economy on, so I want to know, whats the difference between no coins, and a locked vault?

Also, would making coins train my smiths? If so, in what skill?
I've played a guitar with my penis.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: I just don't get coins.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 03:10:46 pm »

The economy works with what I assume is debit cards with direct deposit to their bank accounts, which dwarves hate as "not dwarvenly enough", and would prefer to replace with endlessly hording metal coins instead of working in their Communist paradises.

The difference in dwarf mode between no coins and coins in a vault is that keeping coins under constant lock and key is pointless micromanagement when you don't have to make the coins in the first place.  The only reason you would want to make coins just to keep them in a vault is to leave them for adventurers to pick up, or maybe some noble might demand some kind of coinage.

According to the wiki, it's metal crafter that gains experience.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 03:43:53 pm »

Thanks.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 03:52:54 pm »

Had a bloodline game once. I decided in my near-infinite noobness that coins were going to be made in huge f*cking quatities. The stockpile alone made it impossible to get anything done.  ;D
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:14:32 pm »

the only problem with coins that i have is the way its handled.

you produce stacks of hundreds of them and when the dwarves split them up and spend them they just friggin can't stack them together again! the high earners fill all their spaces with coins. coins everywhere! stacks of 20, 6 or even ONE coin! all over! every square of owned property filled with owned coins! it's horrible!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:31:28 pm »

the only problem with coins that i have is the way its handled.

you produce stacks of hundreds of them and when the dwarves split them up and spend them they just friggin can't stack them together again! the high earners fill all their spaces with coins. coins everywhere! stacks of 20, 6 or even ONE coin! all over! every square of owned property filled with owned coins! it's horrible!

Money covering every square inch of cavern space? It's a dragons wet dream.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:39:43 pm »

I just minted coins for the very first time. I've never played with the economy on before, and I'm still not - I just like the aesthetics of having stacks of coins in the vault :D

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:40:15 pm »

Yea since item restacking doesn't really exist and dwarves can only carry one stack at a time, bad things happen.  Its like cats but worse because the coins trick the dwarves into helping them reproduce.  After a while a stack of 200 coins becomes 200 stacks of 1 coin.  Its like some sort of communist parody of the post-industrial economies where everyone spends all their time counting coins and trading leveraged derivatives so no one actually has time to go and produce anything. 

A locked vault of coins is just like the credit economy, except everyone tries to path there but can't. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 05:55:34 pm »

The real problem with coins is that the economy works perfectly fine without it.  Debit cards and bank accounts are basically ideal for handling this, and actually having your computer track physical coin objects when it doesn't have to makes little sense from an efficiency standpoint, and even less sense having dwarves CARRY coins instead of just keeping them in their back pockets is even worse.

The most ideal form of economic use of coins would be to just make them invisibile in the inventory of dwarves, and maybe make the tax collector double as a paymaster for realism, forcing some kind of monthly paycheck collection.  That's something more for the "Suggestions" forum than here, though.

Really, though, the entire notion of coinage is just sand in the gears of your fortress, and exists only to give you a headache, forcing you to micromanage more junk.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:05:34 pm »

They're a great tool for screwing people who come after you in succession games.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

rufio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 10:31:31 pm »

How would you make a locked vault, anyway?  Would you have to segregate one metal-crafter and a forge and 9327472 metal bars and a couple months worth of food and a bed and maybe a table in the vault?  And then how would you get him out again afterwards, without letting the rest of your fort come in to start their personal coin collections?  Or do you just sacrifice him to Armok at that point?

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 10:43:20 pm »

There's a sort of "airlock" system you can employ, actually.  The gist of said system is that you design a long hall with lever-locked doors at either end.  There are two levers in this hall: one works the outside lock, one works the inside lock.  You have your worker enter and pull the lever to close the outside lock.  Then they pull the second lever to open the inside lock.  Once their work is done, you reverse the process: close the inner door, then open the outer door.  It works pretty well, as long as you're careful about providing them with everything they need in there (easy enough with clever use of channeling, pit designations, and "dumping" food and drink for them to sustain themselves with).
Sanity is for the weak.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 10:50:01 pm »

The best way to deal with a Dwarven ecodemy is to mint only about 2 sacks of coins. It makes you think about how much better life would be under semi-communistic control without money. When i mean semi-communistic, I also mean semi-dwarfishism
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 01:54:07 am »

How would you make a locked vault, anyway? 
Mint all the coins BEFORE your economy comes into play and lock them up.

I've tried keeping up with the economy. But it always failed. As soon as I minted more coins as the bastard suggested and look back - he suggests i should mint more! and my well-made aluminum coins were used but nooo despite how much aluminum i had and how the dwarves liked it he suggested gold, silver and copper coins.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58:48 am »

How would you make a locked vault, anyway? 
Mint all the coins BEFORE your economy comes into play and lock them up.

I've tried keeping up with the economy. But it always failed. As soon as I minted more coins as the bastard suggested and look back - he suggests i should mint more! and my well-made aluminum coins were used but nooo despite how much aluminum i had and how the dwarves liked it he suggested gold, silver and copper coins.
Thats another gay thing, the only way to make coins that are not gold, silver or copper, is to go into ENTITY_DEFAULT and mod it yourself...
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4