Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92734 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game ongoing)
« Reply #840 on: October 14, 2010, 07:45:23 pm »

Also, it looks like you forgot that Ched sent his medics over to me.
How do you mean? Do you mean that my medics aren't in your caster list? I think Knight decided that caster units are not "given," they are only "loaned" - so, even though your casters are in my city, they are still listed as your casters, and even though my medics are in your city, they are still listed as my medics. This applies to money, too - so I am deducted the cost for my medics, and you for yours. It's really just a semantic difference, though - in terms of money, there is no actual difference between the two. We both pay 3 gold/turn either way.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 14, 2010, 07:49:44 pm »

Edit: Abculatter, if you had Archery I'd say using atlatls was a nice way to add flavor to your ranged units. Seeing as how you don't, though, it seems more like an attempt to get archers without the required tech. And you still don't have stables. Building them this turn means you can train mounted units next turn.
There is some good news, though. Once you get archery (or a suitable substitute), wooden arrows come free with the bows, and I'm pretty sure the same is true of obsidian-tipped ones, so you won't have to build those obsidian darts.

These requirements are getting annoying.

I'll edit my turn tomorrow, or whenever I get on again.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 14, 2010, 08:56:47 pm »

Also, it looks like you forgot that Ched sent his medics over to me.
How do you mean? Do you mean that my medics aren't in your caster list? I think Knight decided that caster units are not "given," they are only "loaned" - so, even though your casters are in my city, they are still listed as your casters, and even though my medics are in your city, they are still listed as my medics.
I know, but my constructors are listed as "away", and your medics aren't.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 14, 2010, 09:28:43 pm »

Oh, okay then.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 14, 2010, 09:29:52 pm »

These requirements are getting annoying.

Well, they're sort of the point of technology. Without them, you'd be stuck with the same stuff all game, or else everyone would have plasma gatling cannons right from the start.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 14, 2010, 10:46:43 pm »

Hey, why do Ched's cannoneers only have 5 defense? They've got steel shields, and that's the same defense my spearmen have. Are shields less effective for ranged units?

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 14, 2010, 11:02:23 pm »

By Jove, you're right! Let me see...

Your spearmen have 4 defense, with iron shields.
My Lactosian Infantry have 5 defense, with iron shields. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe Eredor have a racial nerf or something?
My Heavy Scouts have 8 defense, with strong iron tower shields. I assume the tower shields help a bit, and the strong iron helps a bit as well.
My Hand Cannoneers have 5 defense, with steel shields. So yeah, there could be something wrong there... But:
There won't be penalties on combining non-tower shields with ranged weapons.
Maybe he meant no attack penalties, but there may be penalties to defense? Or, stronger metals don't give better defense (they might be more fire-resistant or break less or something like that)? Or strong iron is stronger than iron, but steel is actually weaker than strong iron (unlikely, I think)?

Oh, also, my Heavy Hand Cannoneers, 2nd Company, aren't listed, I think.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 14, 2010, 11:19:00 pm »

Maybe Eredor have a racial nerf or something?
You've got Tactics:Shield Wall on your infantry. (Guess I misremembered the stats on my spearmen. Oops.) And I've got Small, which I'm actually not sure is being applied right.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 12:36:28 am by Vanigo »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 15, 2010, 12:49:27 am »

Doesn't Shield Wall only work with Tower Shields or something?
Oh wow, I guess not! I better train all my hand cannoneers to get shield wall... thanks!
I trained Heavy Hand Cannoneers up to Trained last year, but they aren't listed as Trained...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:59:57 am by Cheddarius »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 15, 2010, 01:57:15 pm »

I have the tech Horseback Riding, which I think is supposed to be Animal Taming.
You should have both. You researched Horseback Riding in year 12, and Animal Taming in year 10.

Do mounted heavy units need 2 units of mounts - one for them, one for their haulers - or just one?
Good question. I'll go with just one.

Now to go to the post repair shop...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: October 15, 2010, 06:03:15 pm »

You should have both. You researched Horseback Riding in year 12, and Animal Taming in year 10.
Excellent! How fortuitous.

The defense still seems a little weird...
My Lactosian Infantry with iron shields have 5 defense. My Heavy Scouts with strong iron shields and tower shields have 8. So, it seems likely that strong iron gives +1 defense over iron, and that tower shields give +2 defense over normal shields, or strong iron gives +2 and tower shields give +1. Also, steel shields are presumably stronger than strong iron shields. Thus, my Heavy Hand Cannoneers should have at least 7 defense, I think... there are several explanations for this.
1. Steel shields are not stronger than strong iron shields in terms of pure defense (in this case tower shields give +2 to defense and strong iron gives +1).
2. Strong iron shields are not stronger than iron shields in terms of pure defense (in this case tower shields would give +3).
3. Strong iron shields give +0.5 defense, tower shields give +2.5 defense, and steel gives +0.5 defense over strong iron.
4. Cannoneer units have reduced effectiveness on shields (again, I'm not sure what the "won't be penalties" thing means specifically).
5. Defense is calculated holistically, not through pure buffs and debuffs alone, and by some other mechanism my cannoneers have been assigned 6 defense.
Knight, can you confirm which, if any, of these situations is correct, or is that against the rules/spirit of the game?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 16, 2010, 12:26:30 pm »

Since the numbers are mostly public...
Your infantry has D5 with iron shields and Shield Wall. They had D4 before that.
The Haskanara have D5 with bronze shields, which is the equivalent of strong iron.
The Cannoneers habe D6 with steel shields.
The Heavy Scouts have D8 with strong iron tower shields, heavy steel armor, and Shield Wall. They had D7 before Shield Wall.

Thus
Bronze/Strong Iron shields get +1D over Iron.
Steel shields get +2D over Iron.
Shield Wall adds +1D.
Tower Shields get +1D over normal shields, with the option to gain another +1D for -1A if the unit has Shield Wall.
Top secret: Heavy Steel Armor (but not bronze or iron) adds +1D in addition to its health bonus.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 16, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »

Ah, I see. I forgot about Shield Wall. Thanks!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 18, 2010, 06:51:13 pm »

Waiting on you, IronyOwl.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 18, 2010, 08:18:55 pm »

Should be all set now.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 65