Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92760 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game ongoing)
« Reply #645 on: August 30, 2010, 08:17:48 pm »

Well, I'm going to get modern pretty fast anyway; at this rate I'm essentially running out a new gun tech every turn, and by next year I'll be able to run out a gun tech and another tech as well (maybe bombs or something).

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 30, 2010, 08:31:15 pm »

Where were you planning to go from caplocks? At the rate you're going, you'll be at modern weaponry... probably the year after next. You want to start in on phasers and plasma cannons? I think at some point we have to say enough is enough, this is as far as this line of technology goes. Or at least make it less of a line, with lots of branching dependencies. I mean, you only just got the mechanical skill to make windmills, and from a random event, no less; no matter how good your chemistry is, you shouldn't be able to make the gunlocks for muskets.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 30, 2010, 08:32:06 pm »

You can get a lot of mileage out of adjectives. Going from Muskets to Advanced Muskets to Refined Muskets leaves you at really nice muskets rather than, I don't know, belt-feed machineguns or something. Throw in Fine, Balanced, Calibrated, or whatever else you like if you really just want "this, but better." Works less well if you want a specific benefit, but since power, range, and cost are the only qualities they really have, that's really only an issue when you want area damage or something.

Alternatively, we could just imagine Cheddarius' tanks are armored Flintstones cars, bombers are the original Wright planes, and guns hit around as hard as a paintball gun does. Would mark them as decidedly eccentric, but eh. Gnomes can't have all the fun.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:15 pm »

Where were you planning to go from caplocks? At the rate you're going, you'll be at modern weaponry... probably the year after next. You want to start in on phasers and plasma cannons? I think at some point we have to say enough is enough, this is as far as this line of technology goes. Or at least make it less of a line, with lots of branching dependencies. I mean, you only just got the mechanical skill to make windmills, and from a random event, no less; no matter how good your chemistry is, you shouldn't be able to make the gunlocks for muskets.
That's really not how this game works... multiple dependencies would make the technology tree terrifyingly complex.

I guess adjectives would work though.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:01 pm »

That's really not how this game works... multiple dependencies would make the technology tree terrifyingly complex.
Huh? Close to half the techs in the reference post have multiple prerequisites.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:12 pm »

I only see one, Deep Mining... all the rest have one or less, a lot of them have no prerequisites at all...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 30, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »

I think Education might not be up there yet, but that's a good example.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 30, 2010, 09:27:32 pm »

That's still only two, though... as far as I can remember, most of the research done in the game has been in straight lines.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 30, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »

Beast Taming, Agriculture, Improved Agriculture, Museums, Organized Religion, and Deep Mining all have multiple prerequisites. Residential Planning, Metallurgy, and Mechanics require a library, which means Literacy is a de facto required tech.
Okay, so it's not half. But still.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 30, 2010, 10:52:52 pm »

Ah.
Well, in any case. Let's let Knight deal with it and see what he thinks, I guess.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 31, 2010, 05:12:27 am »

I really don't want this game to get to too much modern technology. Aviation, if it happens at all, should be more Spelljammer rather than bomber planes and blimbs, firearms should be more muskets rather than rifles. More golems or very heavy cavalry than tanks. I certainly would not allow to let the game go into Planetfall territory with plasma cannons and laser rifles. I probably really should rename muskets to hand cannons as mentioned earlier. I do feel that muskets and some chemistry have their place, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:43 am »

What happens when I get to the end of the technology?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 31, 2010, 09:38:57 am »

Then you'll be hung from Yggdrasil.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 31, 2010, 10:50:38 am »

I don't know why, but I really wanted to sig that. I haven't given up on you, grammar ghouls!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 31, 2010, 12:36:28 pm »

Not that I blame you for losing it in the shuffle, but you never answered me about how big the dwarven city was and how nasty the dragon is.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 65