Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92680 times)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game starts!)
« Reply #345 on: June 08, 2010, 02:57:59 pm »

What are my work animals? Can I choose?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: June 08, 2010, 03:36:03 pm »

About anything reasonably normal. Horses or oxes, or an equivalent.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: June 08, 2010, 07:03:15 pm »

Hey, Cheddarius, about your last turn: The mechanic's workshop only reduces labor costs; you still have to spend the same resources. And aren't work animals different from horses?

Knight Otu, on a related question, how are you rounding off construction costs with a mechanic's workshop? Can you spend two labor to get 2.66 construction and then round it up to 3? I think I've seen Cheddarius doing that...

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: June 08, 2010, 07:50:33 pm »

Hey, Cheddarius, about your last turn: The mechanic's workshop only reduces labor costs; you still have to spend the same resources. And aren't work animals different from horses?
I'm pretty sure Knight said somewhere that it reduced resource costs too.
Work animals can be horses; they can also be oxen, etc. I mean, seriously, he said that on the post just above yours.
What are my work animals? Can I choose?
About anything reasonably normal. Horses or oxes, or an equivalent.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: June 08, 2010, 07:58:31 pm »

Well, distinct from riding horses, I mean. Although, looking at the rules posted, they may not be, which kind of makes me wonder why horse farms and pastures are distinct.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 08, 2010, 08:40:41 pm »

I think you forgot the wool (should I call it fur or leather for the Enlightened?) when you were putting stuff in my warehouse, unless tiles produce either food OR wool, instead of both.

Also, would it be possible to build more houses at the cost of labor and/or building resources to reduce or eliminate overcrowding?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:43:22 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 08, 2010, 08:43:24 pm »

Well, leather is different from wool because you can use it to make leather armor. Fur, maybe, unless that's a luxury resource.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 08, 2010, 08:59:50 pm »

That was you, actually. He clarified that it only applied to labor, though that part was a bit obscured by actually explaining how it worked.

For the mechanic's workshop, by "+33% to all construction" you mean "-33% to construction materials, labor, etc.", right? How does the rounding work for that?
It' a bonus to labor that is applied to constructing buildings or tile improvements. I suppose it's more accurate to say -25% to labor costs. Round normally - if you would normally need 3 labor, 2 will suffice, and 3 will suffice if you'd normally use 4. 5 labor will suffice if you'd normally use 6 or 7 labor.

Anyway, my problems are mainly limited to the fact that the Second Legion was supposed to train, though I'd also like to ask how greenskin negotiations went. "They're mildly friendly and have nothing of interest" is a fairly obvious answer, but I'd like to make sure.

I really, really hate to ask, because the answer might be no, but those human units look very squishy. Are Haskanaric Legions really supposed to have more than double the health of Enlightened Zealots or Lactosian Infantry? I sort of assumed the zealots had unusual stats because they were zealots, but the Lactosians were a bit surprising. Maybe shields do more than I expected?

I'm gonna have to think about what to do about the brainspawn, though. I assume whatever happens will be before the next turn?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 09, 2010, 06:37:44 am »

Wow, that was fast. Except for evilcherry, of course.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 09, 2010, 08:15:32 am »

Animals from a pasture should be work animals, but since taking the animal reduces the tile's food output, pastures should be sufficiently different from horse farms. As an addendum, the animal production from pastures and beast pens can't be improved, just like the production of horses in a horse farm.

The mechanics workshop works as follows:
Add all construction labors together to determine how much labor is saved.
...you add the 3 and 4 to 7, and 75% of that rounds to 5...
You round normally, except x.5 rounds up to x+1. Only labor costs are affected, not material costs - the buildings and constructions still need the same amount of material.
Not that it makes much of difference yet, but ships will benefit from the mechanics workshop as well.

I think you forgot the wool (should I call it fur or leather for the Enlightened?) when you were putting stuff in my warehouse, unless tiles produce either food OR wool, instead of both.

Also, would it be possible to build more houses at the cost of labor and/or building resources to reduce or eliminate overcrowding?
Far as I can see, the wool is in the warehouse? Right under the Granary with the food. Feel free to call it fur, but don't call it leather.
Overcrowding can be alleviated by certain avenues of research, whether through new buildings, new tile improvements, or other ways.

That was you, actually. He clarified that it only applied to labor, though that part was a bit obscured by actually explaining how it worked.

For the mechanic's workshop, by "+33% to all construction" you mean "-33% to construction materials, labor, etc.", right? How does the rounding work for that?
It' a bonus to labor that is applied to constructing buildings or tile improvements. I suppose it's more accurate to say -25% to labor costs. Round normally - if you would normally need 3 labor, 2 will suffice, and 3 will suffice if you'd normally use 4. 5 labor will suffice if you'd normally use 6 or 7 labor.
Note the reversal above - I changed it some time later.

Anyway, my problems are mainly limited to the fact that the Second Legion was supposed to train, though I'd also like to ask how greenskin negotiations went. "They're mildly friendly and have nothing of interest" is a fairly obvious answer, but I'd like to make sure.
Will fix. In the meantime, remember that the goblins have access to copper and silver.

I really, really hate to ask, because the answer might be no, but those human units look very squishy. Are Haskanaric Legions really supposed to have more than double the health of Enlightened Zealots or Lactosian Infantry? I sort of assumed the zealots had unusual stats because they were zealots, but the Lactosians were a bit surprising. Maybe shields do more than I expected?
The thing here is, currently you are the only one who uses both armor and shields, and it is the armor that improves the health that much. Granted, the Enlightened and Eredor currently don't have much choice in the matter, but I clarified that when Cheddarius asked in the thread earlier.

I'm gonna have to think about what to do about the brainspawn, though. I assume whatever happens will be before the next turn?
Yep.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 09, 2010, 10:53:25 am »

Hey, you know what would be cool? If we could slaughter work animals for leather.
That'd be awesome - you could have, you either pick cows, which you can slaughter for leather, or horses, which you can ride into war.
Of course I don't need leather as I have wool out the wazoo, but it'd be a nice option for other players.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 09, 2010, 02:38:38 pm »

Hey, while we're on the subject, can I point out that, since you can turn a unit of animals into two food, horse farms make normal farms obsolete? Seems pretty crazy to me.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 09, 2010, 05:17:18 pm »

Huh, never thought of that. I was more concerned about his current cunning scheme to replace all of his field workers with animals.

And yeah, somehow I had read the armor and shields thing backwards, so now it makes more sense.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 10, 2010, 09:11:15 am »

Huh. As a quikck fix, let's say that we'll take that "hard times" thing literally, and you can't slaughter beasts of burden unless you'd starve otherwise.

I've fixed the missing training and negotiation (as a quick aside) in IronyOwl's turn - the goblins also have access to a mushroom delicacy that the Haskanara can eat without harm as well. Imported, it would act as a Delicacy luxury resource.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 10, 2010, 11:04:32 am »

When you pay money for labor, is it a permanent bonus or one turn only?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 65