Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92747 times)

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game starts!)
« Reply #330 on: June 04, 2010, 11:16:47 pm »

That looks good enough to me. Will my creation count as my action this turn?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 05, 2010, 03:41:58 am »

You know, I didn't pay much attention to it until now, but does an extra unit of food really count as 2 luxury units, or am I reading that wrong? Is it a holdover from the "1 spirituality = 10 luxury" conversion that was used before we just said "1.2 clothing = 1.2 luxury", and it's trying to say 1 food = 0.2 luxury in modern terms?

And yeah, I don't think evilcherry will be back terribly soon; I assume he burned himself out on his game and is recovering from that. I do hope he comes back eventually though; necromantic steelclad giants would have been pretty terrifying. (Though technically they're musical necromantic steelclad giants :P)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 05, 2010, 05:17:49 am »

That looks good enough to me. Will my creation count as my action this turn?
You get normal actions this turn.

You know, I didn't pay much attention to it until now, but does an extra unit of food really count as 2 luxury units, or am I reading that wrong? Is it a holdover from the "1 spirituality = 10 luxury" conversion that was used before we just said "1.2 clothing = 1.2 luxury", and it's trying to say 1 food = 0.2 luxury in modern terms?
Far as I see, it says 2 luxury points, which is the correct term (1 luxury point, usually from 0.1 luxury resource, being sufficient for 1000 people). Is there a spot I missed?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 05, 2010, 08:45:20 am »

Did you remove the gold mine to the south of my city?

Also, would it be possible to use obsidian as a replacement for stone, and maybe replace or reduce my mountain's stone yield in favor of obsidian, or to be able to toggle it as desired?

Also, what if we don't, RP-wise, have sheep or anything which produces wool? Do we make wool on hills anyway, or is that wool representative of anything which can be used to make clothing?

Also, having that beast pen nearer to my city (such as on hex 5 or 6) would make a bit more sense to me. If you do move it, please move the labor working the pen there too.

Turn actions submitted, editted into my post.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 09:33:29 am by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 05, 2010, 02:37:11 pm »

I guess that's technically correct then. I'd gotten so used to talking about the actual source units rather than the luxury they were converted to that I assumed we had dropped the old system. Somehow 1 Thing = 10 Luxury = 10 Population Units makes less sense to me than 1 Thing = 1 Luxury = 10 Population Units; probably because I tend to think of it as 1T = 1L = 10,000 People, which happens to equal 10 Population Units.

Anyway, math rant aside, abculatter, I can point out a couple of problems right now. First of all, unless Otu has said differently, you most certainly may not work a tile more than once. If you could, it'd make multiple tiles of the same type rather redundant.

Secondly, mountains only produce 1 Stone unless you have a quarry or some other special effect.

I don't know anything about obsidian, so you'll have to wait for Knight Otu on the details, but all other special tiles only produce 1 of their type without special improvements, so you can probably assume that with obsidian as well.

EDIT: Also yaaaaaay ships!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 05, 2010, 04:07:51 pm »

In my game obsidian was a passive resource. Working a tile with obsidian did nothing special, but as long as you had an obsidian tile, you got the attack bonus. I think that's what Knight Otu intends here, too.

As for the missionaries thing, there's no precedent for using labor to explore outside the city radius; you use military units for that.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 05, 2010, 04:40:58 pm »

Thanks to Haika, there is a small precedence in using labor units rather than scout units, but I'll strongly advise against using labor units that way. Haika got very, very lucky with the results, and as you might recall, he didn't get what he wanted for several turns. It is far more likely that labor units sent out to scout die from any of the dangers in the world than that they do something productive.

Obsidian is indeed a passive resource. Stone from that tile is probably obsidian as well, but that has no special meaning at this point.

Tiles can only be worked once per turn, and mountains only provide one stone unless quarried. Also, yes, I removed the mine along with mining, so I'd like you to make sure that your profile does still look good enough for you.

Do note that you already have a granary - While you can build a second one, it is a tad premature at this point.

Wool, like stone above, can be anything that is close enough flavorwise. Might be cotton, might be other long-furred animals.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 05, 2010, 04:58:42 pm »

Alright, thanks. Editting my actions for the turn...

Also, is that arrow supposed to represent obsidian or a quarry?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 05, 2010, 05:03:12 pm »

That's the obsidian. Quarries vaguely look like picks.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 05, 2010, 05:09:37 pm »

Ah. And if I were to build a quarry, would I be able to work that quarry on this turn?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 05, 2010, 05:15:20 pm »

No, tile improvements and buildings only kick in the turn after they've been completely paid for. Technologies and military units work similarly.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 05, 2010, 05:39:55 pm »

How large are my armies? Is there a number on that string of letters and numbers which corresponds with the units actual size in citizens?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 05, 2010, 05:49:08 pm »

Normal military units are 100 people.

Presumably the numbers are:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bear in mind that we don't know the exact mechanics, so it's largely a guess as to how strong a given unit is or how much a given stat helps.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 06, 2010, 11:00:54 am »

We're waiting for Evilcherry, right?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 06, 2010, 12:47:44 pm »

Nope, but if he posts his turn before I do so tomorrow, I'll use it.

Edit: Adding another tomorrow, apparently.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:57:50 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 65