Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92686 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game starts!)
« Reply #315 on: June 01, 2010, 01:35:49 am »

Don't forget to update Sailing.

Also, how will ships work? Will they be waterbound military units that can carry other military units, or act sort of like equipment a military unit can use?

Oh, and thanks for catching the bronze thing. Not only did I not notice that when it happened, I had to spend several puzzled minutes searching for where I had lost two bronze once I had been informed of it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 01, 2010, 10:26:50 am »

There's a loose thread I need to address, I see.
Oh, that's what that means? How exactly does that work? He can use any combination of luxury resources, as long as the total morale gain is no greater than the number of resources involved? That'd be potent.
The intention is that he can use one and only one luxury each turn to complement other luxuries where he is short. The way I stated it is misleading, and might even potentially lead to greater morale than the resources involved. So, reversal on the ruling - he can use one luxury he isn't already using to gain one morale to supplement more than one other luxury. That changes my answer to Cheddarius, obviously.

While we're on luxury, the Music Hall changes to provide Entertainment luxury. Music is a tad too narrow.

On another note, what kind of mounts do you think would suit an african-themed village? Should I make up an animal or just use horses or zebras (elephants I'm already using, and I'd like something faster anyway)?
Use horses. On the elephants, do note that they will be more expensive in upkeep than typical units, at least.

Also, how will ships work? Will they be waterbound military units that can carry other military units, or act sort of like equipment a military unit can use?
The former.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 02, 2010, 08:48:48 am »

Spoiler: The Enlightened (click to show/hide)

Draft.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 02, 2010, 10:06:32 am »

What's that thing on tile 8? An elephant pen?
That's an awful lot of techs to start out with. I only got seven, and my civ is technology-oriented. And only two of mine weren't base techs, compared to four of his. (And why doesn't he have ceremonial burial?)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 02, 2010, 11:15:48 am »

You started with eight techs, actually (did I forget to update even more?), but you're right, he still has more techs than you. I'll remove tactics, the mine and mining, the smithy (that shouldn't even be there), and maybe the hall of learning as well. Nah, that's overkill. But brainwashing might incur a research penalty.

E: Stables shouldn't be there either.

And yes, that horrible thing is a beast pen.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:33:47 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 02, 2010, 11:55:33 am »

Oh, I see, you forgot to add ceremonial burial to my tech list on my last turn. I just counted them up and subtracted one.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 02, 2010, 04:24:49 pm »

Need to finish that beginning RP post. I originally planned on the enlightened not actually having elephants, though since I'm going to have the Oba' Clan (and many of their enemies) be converted to their faith to explain the 15000 people I guess I could have it be carried over from the Oba' Clan.

If you don't understand what I mean by Oba' Clan, read my RP post. It's not finished yet, though.

Also, could you reduce the amount of mountains to 1 or 2? Not for any practical reason, I just imagined Mount Korak not being THAT large. Unless those tiles are smaller then I think they are...

Also also, it should be noted that almost all of my RP post so far was made while I wasn't really thinking clearly, and I haven't proofread it yet.

EDIT: Holy Jesus Christ this story is becoming way too long. Unless you guys don't mind it. I can give you a quick summary of the important stuff I want to happen in the story, which will be much shorter.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:41:17 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 02, 2010, 11:36:20 pm »

I'm guessing by the fact that you've needed several sessions to write it that something shorter and simpler might be better.

In any case, I have more questions about boats:

Will there be multiple types? I would tend to think you could research better ones, but starting out will there be a distinction between "scout ships" and "transports" and so on, or will it just be "boats" plus the river-capable or ocean-only distinction?

How will equipping them work? Will you just build the actual ship and that's it, or can you/do you have to give the sailors armaments?

How will ship vs land combat work? Will it just not be possible, or can ships and units battle each other on the coast or in rivers? Will transported military units have or suffer any impact from being on a vessel in combat?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2010, 03:13:42 pm »

Yeah, I'll do a shorter (much shorter) summary right now. I'd like to finish the RP story, though it'll probably take too long to finish.

There's a well-fortified village (as yet unnamed) in the middle of a large plain and on top of a tall mesa (this mesa is large enough for about 1500 people to live in relative comfort). There's a volcano, called Mount Korak, about 12-13 miles away which happens to have lava perfect for the formation of obsidian, and most of the mountain is made of it. It is also a few miles away from a very large gold vein, though most outsiders believe it is directly on top of this vein.

They are attacked by a large army of about 1500 from a large city owned by the Oba' Clan. They are a large and powerful clan which has subjugated many of the nearby villages and towns. The head commander orders the village to evacuate in the face of overwhelming numbers, despite the fact that the village had been made to fend off just such an attack. The villagers and most of the militia do so, escaping through hidden tunnels normally used to access the gold mine. The commander and about 100 militia men stay behind to distract the opposing army while the village escapes.

About halfway to the mines, one of the militia men, indignant of this cowardly tactic, tells the villagers and militia to follow him back, so they can take back their village. Most of them follow. When they arrive back, it is just about to be night and the man decides to make a scouting run with a few others. They agree, and by the time they are finished it is night. The opposing army is mostly drunk or sleeping, and is completely unprepared for a surprise counter-attack.

The militia, under the cover of night, mounts a surprise attack and manages to destroy nearly a third of the enemy army before they even know they are under attack. They then retreat to a more defendable position, though soon realize that this is unnecessary as the army is largely untrained and completely unprepared for an attack while the militia is highly trained, disciplined, and many of them are combat veterans. The militia then decides to continue the attack, sneaking about and attacking unwary soldiers and retreating before they have time to retaliate. They manage to claim a total killcount of over half the enemy army before they retreat in panic. The militia had suffered almost no casualties.

The next day, the village has an assembly. The man which had led them the night before proposes that they retaliate against the Oba' Clan by uniting their enemies and vassals and attacking their city. This is accepted upon unanimously. Within two weeks, an army similar to that which the Oba' Clan had sent, though better trained, was assembled and marched upon the Oba' Clan city. They arrive around midday, and after a great battle they are forced to retreat with heavy casualties. It is decided to wait for nightfall, then attempt to attack again. That night, the man, which was quickly becoming a voice of authority among the army, had a vision, saying that he had seen paradise on this world and that they had been chosen to bring that paradise into being. This begins to excite an almost religious fervor among the men.

Under the cover of night, they attack again and quickly crush the Oba' Clan army. The man then stands upon an elephant at the center of the city and, calling himself 'The Chosen One,' tells the people of the city and his army to join him and help turn the world into a paradise by 'Awakening' a lesser god he calls 'The Unknown One'. He is possessed while doing so, which causes his voice to gain a powerful, undeniable quality which, combined with his incredible victory two weeks ago, causes almost the entire Oba' Clan city, with a population at the time of about 13000, to defect and join him. They go back to his village, and the man commands them to build a city of gleaming obsidian and gold to house these new inhabitants, which they obey zealously and by the end of the year the plains immediately surrounding the central mesa gleam with houses made almost entirely of obsidian, while the central mesa itself is further fortified with at its very center the foundations of a planned, massive temple of obsidian and gold.

Then my first turn begins.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:05:10 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2010, 06:52:23 pm »

They are attacked by a large army of about 10000 from a large city owned by the Oba' Clan.
I do hope you stuck an extra zero in there by accident.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2010, 06:59:09 pm »

Abculatter, armies are about 10 times smaller than populations. One army unit is 100 people; one labor unit is 1000 people.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2010, 08:11:22 pm »

Abculatter, armies are about 10 times smaller than populations. One army unit is 100 people; one labor unit is 1000 people.

That completely throws off my planned differences in scale between the Oba' Clan and my little village. Though, what if the military isn't a military normally, like the militia I mention in the RP story? In it, every man was required to fight when the time came, whether you were a farmer or craftsman or owned the tavern. Weapons were kept in all homes along with in a central armory. Only a very few were full-time soldiers.

Though, it probably doesn't matter much in the pre-city story.

EDIT: I forgot to mention missionaries in that summary... oh well. I can do it in my first turn.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 08:19:49 pm by abculatter_2 »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 03, 2010, 08:29:29 pm »

You might be able to get a Militia bonus, where you can recruit vast amounts of truly terrible (like Boxbot, not like Voldemort) soldiers... but you'd have to give up some other stuff.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 03, 2010, 09:00:22 pm »

You might be able to get a Militia bonus, where you can recruit vast amounts of truly terrible (like Boxbot, not like Voldemort) soldiers... but you'd have to give up some other stuff.

Not for my actual city. That'll be large enough to have its own full-time military. This is just for the pre-first turn story, as the village my city came from originally had about 1000-1500 people. But again, this has nothing to do with my city itself.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 09:02:13 pm by abculatter_2 »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 04, 2010, 10:01:26 am »

Spoiler: The Enlightened (click to show/hide)

Draft the second.

Will there be multiple types? I would tend to think you could research better ones, but starting out will there be a distinction between "scout ships" and "transports" and so on, or will it just be "boats" plus the river-capable or ocean-only distinction?
To start with, there's a small battleship with a basic array of ship weapons, capable of carrying a single military unit, and an unarmed transport capable of carrying three, or a single beast-mounted unit. Name them as you will.

How will equipping them work? Will you just build the actual ship and that's it, or can you/do you have to give the sailors armaments?
The ship itself is relatively fixed. You can arm the sailors if you like. They won't be as strong as normal military, but they'll do in boarding combat or as a raiding party.

How will ship vs land combat work? Will it just not be possible, or can ships and units battle each other on the coast or in rivers? Will transported military units have or suffer any impact from being on a vessel in combat?
Ships can "bombard" land units at half their base attack value, but can't completely destroy a land unit. Ranged units can retaliate. You can alternately have the crew and/or any carried military unit initiate land combat.
Units on a ship that becomes damaged may suffer damage themselves if the damage comes from heavy weaponry of some kind (which might include some beast attacks). Units on a destroyed ship die. No save. will in most cases die. If they are near a coast or in a river, or near a friendly ship, they have a small chance to survive.

I'll make the changes noted in the thread soon. I think I made some errors in unit stats as well.

Evilcherry hasn't logged in since the beginning of the month. We may have to skip him this turn.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 65