Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92654 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game ongoing)
« Reply #945 on: December 14, 2010, 06:29:59 pm »

Loaned units can be given orders not to perform certain actions by the actual owner of the unit. Thus, if you are not comfortable with another player (or nonplayer faction) using a new feature of your units, you can give that order.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 14, 2010, 07:31:01 pm »

Nice to know... but what happened with my pikemen?

Edit: Oh, I see you edited it into my turn. Probably should have mentioned that somewhere.

Edit 2: Also, it looks like you forgot to refund me the iron for those bardings. I should have 10 iron.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:21:40 pm by Vanigo »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 15, 2010, 10:35:56 am »

Hey Vanigo, I've noticed this trend, and I'd like to discuss it. Here are all posts I've found in this thread, by you, discussing game balance. Here are the ones where you say that you're underpowered, or someone else is overpowered:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here are the ones where you say that you're underpowered, or someone else is overpowered:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Could you... stop? I mean, it seems like every turn I have to defend myself and/or get nerfed, and it's really getting irritating. To be honest at this point, I think some of your technologies are overpowered, especially compared to mine ex-nerf. You paid what - two labor for Earth Dowsing, five for Construction Magic, and just like that you get a spell that beats my Aqua Kaolinae, which I paid a total of 32 labor, counting bonuses, for? And your School and Academy seemed especially powerful too. Now we can argue balance all day, but that's not the point I'm trying to make here. The point is this: I saw your techs, so what did I do? I certainly didn't tell Knight to make your techs worse, because what if they weren't overpowered after all, and I ended up leaving you with a bad technology that you couldn't un-research? I kept my mouth shut, and I built them myself, or traded for them. That's fair for everyone. You see a good technology, you get it - everyone has a chance at it. That, I think, is how the game should be played - if something's overpowered, getting it yourself, so it's not an unfair advantage any more. Not running to the GM every turn saying how overpowered someone is, and how they need to be nerfed, so they get saddled with crap technologies all the time.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 15, 2010, 11:23:09 am »

Hmm. You have a point, I suppose. I do think that those were valid issues to discuss (if not necessarily act on), and to a certain extent it's human nature not to complain about things that benefit you, but maybe I have been going a bit overboard. (And you're right; you have pumped a lot more effort into alchemy than I was taking into account.) Don't expect me to stop complaining about shit like the original 10-gold-for-plus-10%-research school, but I'll try to keep an eye on this tendency.

(For the record, I did bring up the apparent pointlessness of Message of the Stars, albeit in a low-enough-key way that I don't blame you for missing it. And I did point out that my Small trait doesn't appear to be being entirely taken into account somewhere. On which note, I'm surprised by how well my crossbows stack up against IronyOwl's longbows and your guns.)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 15, 2010, 03:59:58 pm »

I saw the Small thing but I put that in the category of "mistake," not "game balance"; if you had said something like "My Small trait is not detrimental enough," I would have counted it.

Anyway, feel free to complain as much as you want about technologies you think are bad. I don't care one whit about that. If you get an insanely overpowered technology, I can get it too. The only thing I care about is if I get something, and you say it's too good, and it gets nerfed, because then it's too late. What has been researched... cannot be un-researched.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 16, 2010, 07:06:25 pm »

Waiting on you, IronyOwl.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 19, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »

Come on, man, your turn.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 19, 2010, 07:10:36 pm »

Now, now, give him some time.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 22, 2010, 12:49:53 pm »

It's been almost two weeks now.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 26, 2010, 01:40:21 pm »

It's been well over two weeks now. KO, I think it's time to declare IronyOwl idle and post the next turn. Assuming he doesn't beat you to it, of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 26, 2010, 04:59:41 pm »

Sorry. I know it's a ridiculous delay, but the holidays are partly to blame.

Not sure when I can get a turn up, but soon-ish.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 29, 2010, 01:51:01 am »

So, is this happening?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 29, 2010, 05:57:19 pm »

Knight Otu hasn't poked me yet, so I'd assume he's also busy. On my end, I got sick. Sorry.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 30, 2010, 10:20:33 am »

I didn't really think you'd need a poke.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 02, 2011, 01:43:19 pm »

So, it's time for a new turn now, right?
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65