Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92640 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game starts!)
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2010, 12:17:03 pm »

That works. Keep in mind that the Granary you're building won't be ready to hold the 1 food you have in surplus.

hrm, ok, that dosen't seem quite right, but not a big loss. It will be completed by the end of this turn though correct? Or is there something random delaying it?
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2010, 01:56:50 pm »

No random delays or anything of the sort, just the same rule as with the Hall of Learning earlier, that most stuff won't be available until after the turn you fully pay for it. I think I mentioned it in the sample turn post. Generally, if you're still building something, you can't use it. Resources and equipment are an exception.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2010, 02:50:53 pm »

Yeah it's the resource use that keeps confusing me. Seems like both should be useable, or not, instead of one or the other. But like I said, I'll get used to it, and make things work. :) Enjoying the game so far.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2010, 05:55:17 pm »

Well it seems reasonable that you could start producing say furniture from logs as each log comes in, rather than waiting until they've all come in before doing something.

Whereas it's not really reasonable to assume you can start storing food in the Granary before you actually finish building it.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2010, 06:23:16 pm »

How do I find ore?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2010, 07:14:46 pm »

I think in one of the other threads (probably first AoR) it said you had a chance to find it when working/improving the tile. That makes it a decent guess for here, though we really don't have any way to know if/how lucky I got finding it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2010, 07:29:52 pm »

Judging by IronyOwl's discovery; i imagine you find ore if you build a quarry on a tile with ore in it, presumably each time you build a quarry or something there's a % chance of finding ore.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2010, 07:56:56 pm »

Hmmm, interesting.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2010, 12:06:15 am »

Hey there, you said you wanted 6 players, I see 5, can I join in late with my Taharks from AoRII???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2010, 04:16:43 am »

What can i do with Leather btw, can i turn it into Clothes?

--EDIT--

Blah, just noticed that same type luxuries don't stack. So my cunning plan to make cotton clothes and leather clothes and increase morale is not a cunning plan at all.

I guess i can make leather armor later though, which might be handy.

I also just noticed that my racial ability to turn 3 labour into 2 wood\stone is actually rather useless, since i can't think of any reason why i would want to waste 3 labour to get 2 wood, when i could use 2 labour to get 2 wood and 2 food, and that's discounting any upgrades.

Owell. Back to the drawing board.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:43:50 am by Neruz »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2010, 10:07:22 am »

Maybe if you have so much labor that you have improved and worked every single hex to the maximum?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2010, 10:19:50 am »

Quarrying is indeed a good way to find ores, but it isn't the only one. I'll reveal that certain avenues of research also provide chances to receive special resources, and one of the good random events can also grant them. There might be other ways.

The primary use for leather is leather armor. Leather clothing can be created as well, but it indeed doesn't stack with normal clothing. You could provide leather clothing if you don't have enough wool for your population, though.

The Sidhecraft trait was meant as a minor bonus from the start, and I was a bit surprised you considered it so powerful at first, actually. However, much like Trade opens up new options, other research may open up more and different options for everyone. That said, while I have some ideas what might happen and what might be gained by certain actions, I'd like to be the players to be the driving force behind what transpires in the world.

Neyvn: I'm finding that 5 players is a nice number, but a 6th player isn't out of question, if the other players don't mind. I'll have to figure out your starting position, though.

Haika: Note that a labor unit isn't a dedicated military unit or explorer unit, and thus might be ill-equipped to handle exploration or danger.

Regarding luxury: Note that while shrines only provide enough luxury for 10,000 people (or 15,000 for Haika), you can mix and match luxury from shrines, clothing, excess food, and whatever other luxury resources may exist. So if a shrine is complete, and you have clothing in your warehouse, you only need 0.2 or so clothing to increase morale, or use 1 food. That said, food that is put into your granary isn't used automatically - I'll assume that excess food is generally stored (if a granary is already built) for hard times. Also, in the previous turns, the excess food hasn't been sufficient to raise morale.

Finally, with Easter and the potential DF release around the corner, I suspect that things might slow down a bit. Don't worry much about getting turns in late for the time being.
We have all the turns in for year 3, though I'd like to give evilcherry the opportunity to write some turn flavor first. So far, I find writing the turns much more enjoyable if I have some flavor to bounce my writing, meager as it may be, off of.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2010, 10:31:10 am »

Hmmmm. So I can only get +1 morale per turn with my shrine and wool, not +2?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2010, 10:51:21 am »

Indeed, the shrine alone isn't sufficient to raise morale after population growth. It is a bit odd, but it still makes it easier to raise morale - you need much fewer clothes for the same effect.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2010, 10:56:58 am »

Yeah the one labor unit explorer guys are a shot in the dark, I know they arn't trained or researched or anything, but who knows, they might get lucky, mabye?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 65