Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 65

Author Topic: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game dead)  (Read 92735 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of a New World discussion (AoR-like; game ongoing)
« Reply #690 on: September 10, 2010, 09:16:30 pm »

Odds of two famines in a row are probably pretty dismal, so storing enough food to feed yourself for one bad year is probably plenty for anything worth worrying about.

I will continue to hoard it like there's no tomorrow because I want to, however.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 10, 2010, 11:06:57 pm »

I have enough food to get through one famine, but it would be even better if I didn't have to store any at all.

Anyone want to buy food?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:36:56 am by Cheddarius »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 11, 2010, 09:36:25 am »

So, what was the dwarves' military like when the dragon attacked, and how did the battle go? I'm sure accounts of the latter will be sketchy, but I'd like to know as much as I can before I decide whether to attack. Or, when to attack, really; I'm just trying to decide how long I have to spend building up my forces.
Three units of axedwarves and an unit of marksdwarves in light armor. Decimated pretty quickly, but on some accounts, they managed to wound the dragon.

Hey Knight, did you reduce the chances of famine when you changed the event probabilities that one time?
No, actually. It should remain a rare event.

Also. Anyone want to buy some drugs? Eh? Eh? They'll get you so high. Seriously.
This ain't the Apothecary game! :P
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:00 am »

Hey Knight, did you reduce the chances of famine when you changed the event probabilities that one time?
Huh? So, it was a really rare event before, and I just got bizarrely unlucky?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 11, 2010, 12:00:21 pm »

So, what was the dwarves' military like when the dragon attacked, and how did the battle go? I'm sure accounts of the latter will be sketchy, but I'd like to know as much as I can before I decide whether to attack. Or, when to attack, really; I'm just trying to decide how long I have to spend building up my forces.
Three units of axedwarves and an unit of marksdwarves in light armor. Decimated pretty quickly, but on some accounts, they managed to wound the dragon.
Were they using normal iron, or what? Might want to get them in on the metallurgy research I'm planning. Heck, might want to do that anyway.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 11, 2010, 12:50:12 pm »

Hey guys, would you prefer it if I changed Medics to Anthropologickal Alchemists, and medicines to Aqua Fortis and whatnot?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 11, 2010, 01:08:26 pm »

I'd say Physiologikal Alchemists, and aqua vitae, but in principle it sounds good. Anthropology has nothing to do with medicine, after all, and booze is a much better healing agent than acid. (I hope you're not planning to use adrenaline/vitriol to boost the attack of your musketeers, though.)

About your turn: You're trading gold to the giants? Didn't you buy the gold from them in the first place? (And they've got 12 wood on hand? Wow.)

Oh, and Knight Otu, my turn seems to be jammed into the same spoiler as Ched's.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:10:10 pm by Vanigo »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 11, 2010, 01:10:22 pm »

I wanted gold a lot before, but now I don't need it as I have some silver and such coming in. Now I need wood for strong iron and steel. They had a huge surplus and don't need any, which is why I'm getting such a good price.

By the way, do you guys know how much heavy metal armor is better than light metal armor? Is it a percentage, like 175% effectiveness, or just a static improvement, like +3 health, or something? It's probably not worth it to make heavy steel armor if it doesn't improve the cost by a decent quantity.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 11, 2010, 01:59:30 pm »

I don't think anybody's made any yet.

Hey, what kind of rules for shields vs. two-handed weapons are we using? I kind of doubt you can use tower shields and muskets at the same time like Ched is planning.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 11, 2010, 02:11:33 pm »

Huh? So, it was a really rare event before, and I just got bizarrely unlucky?
Yeah. It's not the rarest bad event, but it is rare.

Hey, what kind of rules for shields vs. two-handed weapons are we using? I kind of doubt you can use tower shields and muskets at the same time like Ched is planning.
I think I talked about that somewhere. Might have been a PM. Checking.

ed:

I haven't put many restrictions on the combination of equipment so far - I guess a tower shield can be propped onto or planted into the ground so that the musketeer can hide behind it.
I guess I'll say that tower shields are only useful for ranged units if they have time to prepare them accordingly - presumably when they are defending a certain area.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 02:26:45 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 11, 2010, 02:59:48 pm »

I asked you about it on August 15, 2010, 03:21:03 pm forum time, and you sent a reply saying that bows and muskets can be used with tower shields, I think. Do you have it in your Sent Messages?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 11, 2010, 04:01:39 pm »

I haven't put many restrictions on the combination of equipment so far - I guess a tower shield can be propped onto or planted into the ground so that the musketeer can hide behind it.
I guess I'll say that tower shields are only useful for ranged units if they have time to prepare them accordingly - presumably when they are defending a certain area.
That's... kind of weird, but whatever; I guess the shields have planting spikes or something. Normal shields, too? And what about polearms?
Oh, and what about the metallurgy the dwarves had?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:04:13 pm by Vanigo »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 11, 2010, 04:54:23 pm »

Yeah, that seems kind of wonky.

As far as armor goes, I'm the only one with both heavy and light versions of the same material, so we don't have any good comparisons. My Toughness trait also fouls that up, probably.

It's only 2 points different for me though, which suggests it's a relatively minor difference.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 11, 2010, 06:25:54 pm »

Hm. Guess I'll just make light armor, then.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 12, 2010, 03:57:17 pm »

So, uh, do the dwarven refugees know more about metallurgy than Rennad in general? Or any other tech, I suppose, but metallurgy seems most likely. (And yes, I know I'll still need to research it if they do; it's mostly an RP thing.)
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 65