Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250125 times)

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely
« Reply #585 on: March 27, 2012, 11:52:51 pm »

Can you "nohup ./dfterm2 &" then "tail -f dfterm2.log" ?  I don't remember the server being interactive so backgrounding should be ok.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

geeman883

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 28, 2012, 02:35:18 pm »

I'm not into these advanced commands. But everytime I use "telnet localhost 5556" on my android device it just says connection refused. I saw some forums showing how to fix it, but it was too advanced. Can anyone tell me how to fix it in a more basic manner?

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 28, 2012, 02:59:55 pm »

localhost would be your phone.  I'm guessing you are trying to connect to dfterm2 running elsewhere like your home computer?  So you need to "telnet dfterm.com 8000" instead.  dfterm.com being your server or ip. 

If you are on wifi on the same network as the server, you can use the lan ip.  To get that in windows, goto start, type cmd.  type ipconfig.  You are looking for your ipv4 address.  Telnet to that address to connect.  Also, unless you changed the port manually, it should be port 8000 by default.

If you are connecting from outside your lan, you need to get your external ip and foward the port to your server. To get your external ip, you can use moanmyip.com(or whatever tool you find more appropriate, lol).  To forward the port 8000 from your router to your computer you need to log into the router.  To get your router address use the same procedure as above to get your ipv4 address but instead get the default gateway.  Type that into your browser.  The default username & password should be written on a sticker on your router.  Look for a port forward option.  Set it to foward tcp 8000 from the router to the ipv4 address of your dfterm2 server.  Now you have a public server!  Telnet to your external ip like "telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 8000" from your android.  You won't be able to connect to that external ip if you are inside the network.

If you are still having problems or my initial assumption of what you were trying to do was wrong, send a pm and i'll try to help as best as possible.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

geeman883

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 28, 2012, 03:16:16 pm »

Thanks, I'll try that tommorow because I'm feeling very sleepy right now. But I tried doing port forwarding before. Says I need a static IP for it...  But I'm not planning on playing it outside of the wi-fi zone, for now.

EDIT: I got it to connect, but now i have another problem... My Android doesn't have a hard keyboard. So I somehow need to switch windows to the menu one. Can I remap the keys to make a "Ctrl +" or "Fn +" combination to trigger the alt key?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:22:31 am by geeman883 »

Steendor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Connection Restrictions
« Reply #589 on: March 29, 2012, 10:19:27 pm »

I've played with Dfterm a bit. For a while it was the best way for me to play, so thank you for that. :) I was taking a break from DF, but I've been thinking about picking it up again.

Anyway, I fired up Dfterm and found that I couldn't connect. Nothing has changed on my network since the last time I used it, but it was refusing connections when it had accepted them before.  After playing around a bit, I found that when it loaded my old config, it read my IP restriction as 255.168.x.x instead of 192.168.x.x. I downloaded the 0.16 version and got the same result. Here's what I did:
  • Set default to forbid.
  • Add allowed address 192.168.x.x
  • Add allowed address 127.0.0.1.
  • Save.
  • See "C0A8xxxx" via sqlite browser.
  • Restart dfterm, connect from localhost since remote is now blocked.
  • Review restrictions, note allowed address is now 255.168.x.x
  • Save.
  • See "FFA8xxxx" via sqlite browser.

Being the adventurous type, I grabbed my [t]rusty ax and wandered into the source code to see what I could find. I did find a typo in the hex_to_bytes function in hash.cc:
Code: [Select]
else if (c2 >= 'A' && c1 <= 'F')
Should be:
else if (c2 >= 'A' && c2 <= 'F')
However, that doesn't explain how "C0" became 255. ???

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 30, 2012, 11:08:54 am »

But I tried doing port forwarding before. Says I need a static IP for it...

Or a dynamic DNS account...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Huygens

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 30, 2012, 12:49:29 pm »

{ name = "DF 0.34.07", size_address = 0x0085B0F4, screendata_address = 0x0085AD94, checksum = 0x2B33031D, method = "PackedVarying" }

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #592 on: March 30, 2012, 01:05:39 pm »

SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 08, 2012, 09:10:50 pm »

Hey guys, two things.

What is the best way to get the memory addresses for the linux version?  Also, i updated the registry to auto-expire offline servers after two weeks.  http://cityofminds.info/dfmp/registry.php
In about a week there will only be one public server left (that i know of).
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Pizza

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 10, 2012, 08:05:29 am »

Hello. Me and my friend, have been trying to host our own small DF multiplayer server. However, we are able to connect to the server, log in, but when we try to launch a game it closes immediately.

This is a pic of what the program says when we start it:

This is what the console says:

Note: I restarted the game quite a few times, wich is why the console said the same error quite a few times.

Does someone know a fix or solution?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:44:14 am by Pizza »

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 10, 2012, 07:09:38 pm »

Does someone know a fix or solution?

Is the game running in text mode?  You can run the game outside of dfterm2?  Also, can you c&p your working and executable locations?
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Pizza

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 11, 2012, 10:36:19 am »

Is the game running in text mode? 
I am not sure what you mean by this. Could you maybe explain what you mean by "text mode"?

You can run the game outside of dfterm2? 

Yes, i can.

Also, can you c&p your working and executable locations?

C:\df_31_25_win\Dwarf%Fortress.exe
C:\df_31_25_win\

Thanks for your time!
« Reply #597 on: April 11, 2012, 10:44:03 am »

If this had a iOS/Android app it would be the best thing ever. Play DF literally anywhere. :D

FriedFish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: April 11, 2012, 10:49:10 am »

Is the game running in text mode? 
I am not sure what you mean by this. Could you maybe explain what you mean by "text mode"?

You can run the game outside of dfterm2? 

Yes, i can.

Also, can you c&p your working and executable locations?

C:\df_31_25_win\Dwarf%Fortress.exe
C:\df_31_25_win\

Thanks for your time!
try this for executable location
C:\df_31_25_win\Dwarf% Fortress.exe

note the space after the %.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 12, 2012, 09:08:33 pm »

If this had a iOS/Android app it would be the best thing ever. Play DF literally anywhere. :D

All you need client-side (i.e. on the phone) is a telnet client. I believe popular choice on Android is ConnectBot; not sure of specifics on iOS, but I know they exist.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 46