Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250370 times)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.2, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (Telnet or web browser)
« Reply #330 on: August 11, 2010, 12:58:49 am »

Is there any server online to connect to? I always wanted to watch a DF game "live" without the bandwidth requirements of a video stream...
Maybe using something like http://noway.ratry.ru/jsn/termcast/ to make a DF "TV" channel? That can be awesome and possible with this, I think.

Only known public server is the test server mentioned in the first post. Because of the resource demands, not many can host public servers.

This is also the reason I'm trying to make dfterm2 easier to set up by anyone, so that people would be able to quickly put up servers on-demand. These people don't want to build public servers, they just want to play DF from work or play cooperative forts with their friends.

Termcasting DF games with this is trivial (if you have UNIX-like environment). With the ttrtail utility from termcast site, you can redirect telnet to termcast from any server. I've done this before for demoing purposes. However, what should be known about termcasting DF is:

- While bandwidth is much lower than using VNC or similiar solutions, it's still usually much more than what you get from NetHack or DCSS.
- DF screen sizes are often large. At least I find playing with 80x25 size uncomfortable. Again, for traditional roguelikes this is not a problem. But termcast watchers might find this inconvenient.

With CTRL+R and CTRL+F tuning, you can make dfterm2 only show you the DF screen (no UI or borders), which is good for termcasting. For now I don't have plans to make DwarfTV or anything.

I make dead people. Dfterm3

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.3, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (Telnet or web browser)
« Reply #331 on: August 11, 2010, 07:15:45 pm »

I have never sucessfully connected to the test server mentioned in the first post.  Given up.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 11, 2010, 08:03:11 pm »

I was, but never happened to find anyone playing... are you doing "telnet (IP) 8000"? Works for me in linux.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 12, 2010, 12:09:34 am »

I have never sucessfully connected to the test server mentioned in the first post.  Given up.

The server is sometimes down but right now it has been up for 2 weeks+. It is definitely running, with many users reporting ok. I suspect you have a networking issue on your side, or are using wrong software or configuration to connect.

The server does not get updates in time (currently running pre-0.1 dfterm2 version), currently the worst bug there is the black screen bug. Force closing and then opening the game usually fixes it, as it occurs randomly. It has been fixed in the newest version but the person who hosts the server has not been able to update the server for a while.

ShadowDrake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 13, 2010, 01:53:36 am »

Doesn't seem to be a super easy way to search this thread so I apologize if this has been asked...

Tried to get this up and running on windows 7 x64 tonight. DFterm itself runs fine, and I am able to connect remotely. I set up the DF executable path and working directory. Set up a slot. Everything seemed great. Started it and asked it to launch a new process for DF.

It launches DF, but then I get a dll error - MSVCP100.dll (though it -may- be MSVCR100.dll). DFTerm then reports that the slot closed.

I've tried registering the DLL (it says it's for a different version of windows), as well as copying it to both my DF folder and windows\system32.

If I set dfterm to hook an existing copy of DF, when launching the slot I still get the same DLL error.

I feel like I'm missing something simple because I've got everything else working great. Suggestion?

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 13, 2010, 04:54:01 am »

Doesn't seem to be a super easy way to search this thread so I apologize if this has been asked...

Tried to get this up and running on windows 7 x64 tonight. DFterm itself runs fine, and I am able to connect remotely. I set up the DF executable path and working directory. Set up a slot. Everything seemed great. Started it and asked it to launch a new process for DF.

It launches DF, but then I get a dll error - MSVCP100.dll (though it -may- be MSVCR100.dll). DFTerm then reports that the slot closed.

I've tried registering the DLL (it says it's for a different version of windows), as well as copying it to both my DF folder and windows\system32.

If I set dfterm to hook an existing copy of DF, when launching the slot I still get the same DLL error.

I feel like I'm missing something simple because I've got everything else working great. Suggestion?

MSVCP100.DLL and MSVCR100.DLL are Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable DLL files. On my tests, it was enough that the DLLs were sitting in the dfterm2 directory.

Have you tried copying the MSVCP100.DLL and MSVCR100.DLL that came with dfterm2 to DF directory or install them from internet? If you download them from the internet, only download from Microsoft's site. The DLLs you find from other sites are often incompatible and incorrect.

ShadowDrake

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2010, 07:32:41 pm »

MSVCP100.DLL and MSVCR100.DLL are Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable DLL files. On my tests, it was enough that the DLLs were sitting in the dfterm2 directory.

Have you tried copying the MSVCP100.DLL and MSVCR100.DLL that came with dfterm2 to DF directory or install them from internet? If you download them from the internet, only download from Microsoft's site. The DLLs you find from other sites are often incompatible and incorrect.

Seems to have worked. Got it up and running beautifully. Thanks :)

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 16, 2010, 01:44:28 pm »

The server is sometimes down but right now it has been up for 2 weeks+. It is definitely running, with many users reporting ok. I suspect you have a networking issue on your side, or are using wrong software or configuration to connect.

The server does not get updates in time (currently running pre-0.1 dfterm2 version), currently the worst bug there is the black screen bug. Force closing and then opening the game usually fixes it, as it occurs randomly. It has been fixed in the newest version but the person who hosts the server has not been able to update the server for a while.

I can connect between my two computers from multiple places, but anytime I goto your outside host, it just sits.  There is nothing there.

NM im just stupid, of course........
all good now
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:55:15 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 17, 2010, 06:14:28 am »

Maybe we should make a list of available public servers, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to host their games (well, me at least... :P)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 17, 2010, 09:28:44 am »

Maybe we should make a list of available public servers, I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to host their games (well, me at least... :P)

Sure, if anyone is going to host a 24/7 server, just drop a note. I'll gladly advertise on the first post. And if you decide you don't want anymore, drop another note and I'll remove it. I'll add this note to the first post.

May not be directly related but at least somewhat:

I'm going to build a feature to dfterm2, that will allow linking separate dfterm2 servers together, so that games on both can be watched on either.

With that, a cluster of computers can be used to host a server that looks like a single one.

Some scenarios where I think it might be useful:
1. LAN of computers on which lots of DF are running. Let's say computers A, B, C, D and E. Only A is directly connected to the internet. You can run dfterm2 on all of those computers, and computer A then acts as a lobby for them.

2. Two friendly admins are both hosting dfterm2 servers. Then they decide they want to link them together. They link each other's slots on themselves, and then players who connect can play on either, and chat with users on both servers. Playing might be harder because of an added source of lag, but for watching it should not be a problem.

edit: anoying speling fixses
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:42:10 am by Adeon »

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 17, 2010, 12:46:58 pm »

If I understand well, I just need to run dfterm2 and anyone with PuTTY will be able to connect to me through my IP adress or dyndns name?

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 17, 2010, 01:04:44 pm »

If I understand well, I just need to run dfterm2 and anyone with PuTTY will be able to connect to me through my IP adress or dyndns name?

Yes. The manual has detailed instructions, but installing is pretty straightforward.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 17, 2010, 02:08:00 pm »

Ok, so a host is up at dwarfort.dyndns.org
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 02:11:58 pm by Quarterblue »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 17, 2010, 02:38:09 pm »

I'm going to build a feature to dfterm2, that will allow linking separate dfterm2 servers together, so that games on both can be watched on either.

With that, a cluster of computers can be used to host a server that looks like a single one.

Some scenarios where I think it might be useful:
1. LAN of computers on which lots of DF are running. Let's say computers A, B, C, D and E. Only A is directly connected to the internet. You can run dfterm2 on all of those computers, and computer A then acts as a lobby for them.

2. Two friendly admins are both hosting dfterm2 servers. Then they decide they want to link them together. They link each other's slots on themselves, and then players who connect can play on either, and chat with users on both servers. Playing might be harder because of an added source of lag, but for watching it should not be a problem.

edit: anoying speling fixses

That sounds pretty freakin' awesome... but I'm skeptical as to how much it'd actually be used... Sounds like it'll be a bitch to code too...
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #344 on: August 17, 2010, 02:52:12 pm »

Using PuTTY, it seems to require an ANSI font with the right characters - if I try to use an OEM/DOS font such as Terminal (or this font I created a few years back, upon which this tileset was based), none of the extended characters render properly even if I force it to treat incoming data as UTF-8 (from Window -> Translation).

If it's not too difficult, an option for raw CP437 output would be nice (and it would probably also reduce bandwidth usage slightly since each character will only be 1 byte, not including color information).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46