Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250322 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (Telnet or web browser)
« Reply #315 on: July 25, 2010, 02:29:11 pm »

When I saw the new ESC mechanism, I said "Oh hey, this is annoying just like VIM," and promptly added a keybind to "general/exit screen" of "by letter: `" and started using that instead. ^_^

good idea, using "`"... doesn't interfere with text entry and isn't quite the stretch esc is

Adeon, how stable is the test server? As in crashing and how often is it up?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 26, 2010, 02:10:45 am »

When I saw the new ESC mechanism, I said "Oh hey, this is annoying just like VIM," and promptly added a keybind to "general/exit screen" of "by letter: `" and started using that instead. ^_^

good idea, using "`"... doesn't interfere with text entry and isn't quite the stretch esc is

Adeon, how stable is the test server? As in crashing and how often is it up?

It's up almost always (that I've seen). Sometimes it may go down for a while (like right now I just tested). I'm not the one who hosts it or has access to it. If it crashes, then we've found a major bug that I fix ASAP.

I use the server to test that there are no bugs that only manifest themselves when the server has run for a long time.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 02:31:08 am by Adeon »
I make dead people. Dfterm3

liquidhot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 27, 2010, 08:36:28 am »

I'm not able to get Dfterm2 to run with 31.12, but I was running fine with 31.08. Just wanted to give you the heads up if you hadn't tried the new version yet.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile

I've lowered dfterm2 from HIGHLY EXPERIMENTAL status to be merely experimental. Versioning has now also been started and 0.1 was just released.

There's a PDF manual with many screenshots on how to set it up. There's also an installer, which handles unpacking and setting administrator accounts up for you.

If you want to move your old settings and user accounts to new version, move dfterm2_database.sqlite3 to your %APPDATA%\dfterm2 directory with name "dfterm2.database". %APPDATA% is usually a hidden AppData directory in your home directory. You can check what it is by launching cmd.exe and typing "set AppData" in there.

In git repository, I'll start tagging releases now, so Linux users can use tags to get a specific version of dfterm2 source code. It could be useful in cases where the source repository is broken temporarily.

And onto other changes:
You no longer need to copy dfterm_injection_glue.dll to your Dwarf Fortress directory. If you do, the DLL in the directory is ignored.

And also:
If you only see a black screen in dfterm2, but can see from the log that dfterm2 correctly recognized DF version, try closing DF and attaching again.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile

I forgot how much love this. If only I had a spare machine, I'd set some server up.

Just random thought, would this work a Mac, or any other unix system? I'd check, but that'd require a iso image of some sort, and I seem to misplaced my old berkeley iso.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 01:46:30 pm by ILikePie »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile

I forgot how much love this. If only I had a spare machine, I'd set some server up.

Just random thought, would this work a Mac, or any other unix system? I'd check, but that'd require a iso image of some sort, and I seem to misplaced my old berkeley iso.

No. Dfterm2 for Linux has at least one part that's strictly Linux -specific (socket events system that's based on epoll() call). It would not be hard to make a port to whatever though, but I can't be bothered to install any BSD and I don't have a Mac.

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile

*Googles epoll*

I see, I guess it's just minor inconvenience, as the mac users are a minority. It says here both BSD and Solaris have epoll equivalents (I'm sure Darwin has one as well), so if someone really wanted an awesome roguelike server on their unix, they could easily port it to their system.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.1, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (Telnet or web browser)
« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2010, 10:59:20 am »

edit: fixed!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:11:00 am by yarr »

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 02, 2010, 05:29:32 pm »

compiling dfterm2 i noticed that
#include <vector>
is missing from sockets.hpp

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 03, 2010, 10:40:05 am »

ok I have been playing coop dwarf fortress with a friend all day using dfterm2 and it's great. thank you for this!!!

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 04, 2010, 10:34:31 am »

compiling dfterm2 i noticed that
#include <vector>
is missing from sockets.hpp

Fixed.

ok I have been playing coop dwarf fortress with a friend all day using dfterm2 and it's great. thank you for this!!!

You are welcome.

Dfterm 0.2 has been released. It has a bug fix for black screens and a minor feature addition (CTRL+R to remove window borders).

If you have experienced black screens all the time with dfterm2, this may fix it.

starbane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.2, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (Telnet or web browser)
« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2010, 01:53:10 pm »

When compiling on Linux, I get this:
server.com:~/dfterm2# make
[ 34%] Built target trankesbel
Linking CXX executable dfterm2
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../lib/libicuuc.a(udata.ao): In function `openCommonData':
(.text+0xc5f): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../lib/libicuuc.a(udata.ao): In function `openCommonData':
(.text+0xc7a): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
(.text+0xc99): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [dfterm2] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/dfterm2.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2010, 12:24:20 am »

When compiling on Linux, I get this:
server.com:~/dfterm2# make
[ 34%] Built target trankesbel
Linking CXX executable dfterm2
(.text+0xc5f): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
(.text+0xc7a): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
(.text+0xc99): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [dfterm2] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/dfterm2.dir/all] Error
make: *** [all] Error 2

It may be that for some reason not all libraries get linked.

Try linking dynamically to ICU. I don't know your exact system configuration or environment, but this may do it:
Code: [Select]
$ rm CMakeCache.txt
$ cmake -DICU_LIBRARIES=/usr/lib/libicuuc.so\;/usr/lib/libicudata.so .
$ make

starbane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2010, 02:12:28 pm »

It may be that for some reason not all libraries get linked.

Try linking dynamically to ICU. I don't know your exact system configuration or environment, but this may do it:
Code: [Select]
$ rm CMakeCache.txt
$ cmake -DICU_LIBRARIES=/usr/lib/libicuuc.so\;/usr/lib/libicudata.so .
$ make

That worked, it built and ran, and you're awesome. :)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2010, 07:30:51 pm »

Is there any server online to connect to? I always wanted to watch a DF game "live" without the bandwidth requirements of a video stream...
Maybe using something like http://noway.ratry.ru/jsn/termcast/ to make a DF "TV" channel? That can be awesome and possible with this, I think.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 46