Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250360 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (Telnet or web browser)
« Reply #300 on: July 17, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »

Can dfterm2 grab a running process? Only asking since I noticed that part was removed from the "known issues".

That seems to be the only way I can host on Vista, since Vista's dumb permissions stuff is preventing anything from launching DF.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 17, 2010, 01:10:29 pm »

Can dfterm2 grab a running process? Only asking since I noticed that part was removed from the "known issues".

That seems to be the only way I can host on Vista, since Vista's dumb permissions stuff is preventing anything from launching DF.

It can't. I removed it because I thought nobody really wants that feature. I'll put it back.

The code to grab a running process is there, but the interface just doesn't have the button to enable it.

I make dead people. Dfterm3

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 17, 2010, 01:29:39 pm »

Sweet, thanks.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 17, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »

Sweet, thanks.

The feature (grabbing a running DF process) is in latest experimental package.

I have to say thanks for this great program, I use it a lot.

Is there any way I could get a copy where something else is used to switch between windows instead of alt+1, alt+2, and alt+3? I'm trying to play on my android phone but can't find a keyboard that can send those keypresses.

I've been trying to compile it on my own so I could reprogram the bindings but I'm having some trouble getting it to compile, mostly because I don't know what I'm doing.

Dfterm2 now handles so-called partial waiting on incomplete sequences. This means instead of alt+some key you can use esc+some key instead. I don't know if this will help android users though.

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 23, 2010, 11:21:47 am »

I guess editing the top post causes no bump? Here I was trying to remember how to get to thet web version of the repo so I could see if there was changelog about .11, end up on your website with a copy of the top post that mentions .11, come back here and see the same thing.

In other news, .11 support before I've unzipped .11. Wootcakes.

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 23, 2010, 07:07:40 pm »

I've noticed that the Escape key became a lot less responsive between versions of DFTerm. Before 0.31.11, I was using a version I downloaded a couple of weeks ago. When 0.31.11 was released, I upgraded DFTerm and found that hitting escape takes a second or two to respond, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. Meanwhile, on the server machine, the game is perfectly responsive.

The server machine is running Windows 7 64-bit and the client is connecting with PuTTY on Ubuntu 10.04. Is anyone else having this issue?

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2010, 08:00:49 pm »

Code: [Select]
-- Found OpenSSL: /usr/lib/libssl.so;/usr/lib/libcrypto.so
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:70 (MESSAGE):
  Could NOT find Threads (missing: Threads_FOUND)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindThreads.cmake:155 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  trankesbel/CMakeLists.txt:51 (FIND_PACKAGE)

I'm trying to compile DFTerm2 under Fedora... I've installed a bunch of packages (everything I could gather from the cmake errors, which has been quite a few!) but I can't figure out what this error indicates. Anyone able to help? HandleStandardArgs??

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 24, 2010, 01:39:39 am »

I've noticed that the Escape key became a lot less responsive between versions of DFTerm. Before 0.31.11, I was using a version I downloaded a couple of weeks ago. When 0.31.11 was released, I upgraded DFTerm and found that hitting escape takes a second or two to respond, and sometimes it doesn't work at all. Meanwhile, on the server machine, the game is perfectly responsive.

The server machine is running Windows 7 64-bit and the client is connecting with PuTTY on Ubuntu 10.04. Is anyone else having this issue?

This is a result of waiting for escape sequences longer than in previous versions of dfterm2. Here's a description of problem:

In a terminal, when you press non-character keys, such as arrow keys or function keys, your terminal client sends an escape sequence instead. For example, for up arrow key this is typically:

(ESC) [ A

(note ESC character vs ESC key. When I say ESC key, I refer to the key on the keyboard, and ESC char as a byte of value 27)

When dfterm2 finds escape sequences such as this, it interprets it as up arrow key.

Now, it's not guaranteed that the client who sends this escape sequence is going to send it all at once. It's possible it just sends the ESC character, then some time passes, and then it sends the rest.

Earlier versions of dfterm2 did not wait at all, and if the characters were not sent at once (happens with flash interface and bad connections) it will be like you pressed the ESC key, then pressed [ and then pressed A.

After introducing the web interface, I implemented a 100 millisecond wait for partially sent escape sequence such as this. For 0.31.11 DF release and dfterm2, I increased that time to 500 milliseconds. This means that if dfterm2 receives ESC character, it will wait for 500 milliseconds before interpreting that as pressing the actual ESC key.

For terminal programs it's bad practice to use the ESC key on keyboard for any single function for this reason. Ncurses waits for 1 second, for example. DF wasn't made with that in mind.

I increased the time, because the soiled flash interface to dfterm2 works weirdly and sends the keys one at a time, which means almost all escape sequences would be broken with old implementation.

The time isn't configurable, unfortunately as of yet. This seems to be a problem so I'll come up with something for next experimental update.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 01:48:01 am by Adeon »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 24, 2010, 01:45:54 am »

-- Found OpenSSL: /usr/lib/libssl.so;/usr/lib/libcrypto.so
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:70 (MESSAGE):
  Could NOT find Threads (missing: Threads_FOUND)
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindThreads.cmake:155 (FIND_PACKAGE_HANDLE_STANDARD_ARGS)
  trankesbel/CMakeLists.txt:51 (FIND_PACKAGE)

I'm trying to compile DFTerm2 under Fedora... I've installed a bunch of packages (everything I could gather from the cmake errors, which has been quite a few!) but I can't figure out what this error indicates. Anyone able to help? HandleStandardArgs??

Try removing CMakeCache.txt and then calling cmake again. IIRC, this error means you lack pthread headers or any other thread libraries or headers.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2010, 02:30:23 am »

Thanks! That did it. I had tried installing threading packages (including pthreads) but that didn't work.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2010, 03:44:44 am »

Thanks! That did it. I had tried installing threading packages (including pthreads) but that didn't work.

Have you installed boost development libraries?

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2010, 05:15:39 am »

Have you installed boost development libraries?

Yes. Boost is installed.

Alehkhs

• Bay Watcher
  • The Sorrow of Poets
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 24, 2010, 04:44:42 pm »

Sooo... is there a list of servers where I can judge observe people playing?

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 25, 2010, 01:48:01 am »

When I saw the new ESC mechanism, I said "Oh hey, this is annoying just like VIM," and promptly added a keybind to "general/exit screen" of "by letter: `" and started using that instead. ^_^

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 25, 2010, 03:31:47 am »

Sooo... is there a list of servers where I can judge observe people playing?

Not really. There's the test server mentioned in the first post but most of the time no one is playing.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46