Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250268 times)

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm, Dwarf Fortress in a terminal (v0.1.3c - 13/4/2010)
« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2010, 07:40:26 am »

The [dfterm lua] scripts won't let you do memory hacking on DF sessions. They can influence what users can see on the screen, what slots they can watch, launch and close DF sessions, load arbitrary lua modules, disconnect people and simulate input (and maybe something I forgot to mention) but they can't do memory hacking. When I want memory hacking, I'll probably use dfhack. But I've heard dfhack doesn't cope with multiple DF instances so well yet.

ok, i thought i saw something like DT via lua, but i may be wrong

but, I can for example make menu, which lets user select units and then issue command 'u' on behalf of user for df? great!
and what about this: "show forgotten beast" -> lua issues "u" and scrolls down untill it finds uninvited guest and issues 'c' on it. Can I make it?
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2010, 09:59:58 am »

The [dfterm lua] scripts won't let you do memory hacking on DF sessions. They can influence what users can see on the screen, what slots they can watch, launch and close DF sessions, load arbitrary lua modules, disconnect people and simulate input (and maybe something I forgot to mention) but they can't do memory hacking. When I want memory hacking, I'll probably use dfhack. But I've heard dfhack doesn't cope with multiple DF instances so well yet.

ok, i thought i saw something like DT via lua, but i may be wrong

but, I can for example make menu, which lets user select units and then issue command 'u' on behalf of user for df? great!
and what about this: "show forgotten beast" -> lua issues "u" and scrolls down untill it finds uninvited guest and issues 'c' on it. Can I make it?

The scripts can fully read the DF screen and simulate input. So yes. But you need to know Lua, and need to read the manual for the documented API. And understand them. The API includes some helper functions for regular expressions and terminal emulator handling.

Dfterm reads dwarf_fortress_term.lua so you need to make some modifications to that file. I have not written any plugin-like system, but it could be implemented with Lua to that file.

Note that dfterm2 might have a completely different scripting API. Some parts will be the same, at least terminal emulator functions and regex. I might also support other languages than Lua.

I make dead people. Dfterm3

Petr Ga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2010, 10:10:07 am »

I might also support other languages than Lua.

what about Czech language... ok, a flat joke

anyway, i give it a try!
2: Give RMs a gas syndrome that causes RMs only to breed profusely.

Mogmiester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2010, 12:47:20 pm »

I'm having trouble compiling dfterm2. When I run cmake . I get the following error:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is there any chance I could either get a pre-compiled version or help fixing it? libicu and libicu-dev are installed, I think it's a problem with trankesbel not finding them.
My cat's breath smells of cat food.

bongotastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Loving cows for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2010, 12:58:41 pm »

Hi I didn't read all 13 pages of the thread, but searched with no results. My question is: What can you do with the LUA scripting feature? If this has already been answered, can someone point me to the right place?

Thanks,

Mainly you can modify the interface. The chat system is written as a Lua script. Scripting is covered in the manual with all API functions documented. I guess you could do things like automatic responses to certain strings that appear in DF screen or macros.

Has it (lua scriupting in dfterm) similar strength as dfhack? I am trying to get something from pydfhack, so i could try lua, too

I'm thinking along the same lines, I would love to access the DF through Python, but I'd deal with LUA if it could. A scripting API to DF would open up so much madness in DF! Writing c++ code with dfhack is a bit heavy handed just to read/write to memory.
Nothing screams "Christmas" quite like a new release of DF.

daoist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 21, 2010, 01:18:46 pm »

I'm having trouble compiling dfterm2. When I run cmake . I get the following error:

Is there any chance I could either get a pre-compiled version or help fixing it? libicu and libicu-dev are installed, I think it's a problem with trankesbel not finding them.

try this:
Code: [Select]
cmake -D ICU_LIBRARIES_PATH = /wherever/those/happen/to/be/installed

I haven't tried compiling it myself, but that just looks like it needs that variable defined.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:24:22 pm by daoist »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 21, 2010, 04:18:55 pm »

I guess I could provide Linux binaries...but at the moment dfterm2 for Linux is just a crappy chat program. Windows binaries might actually be useful for something. If I remember and care, I'll put up something tomorrow.

If you know CMake (I don't!), you could also check if I did something wrong in my CMake modules...entirely possible.

EDIT: I noticed FindICU.cmake does not work at all with static libraries (a stupid extra line broke it). It went unnoticed because this Fedora distribution did not include static ICU libraries. Fixed and pushed, so you can pull again for a fix that hopefully fixes the problem.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 04:28:06 pm by Adeon »

Mogmiester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 21, 2010, 06:19:27 pm »

Brilliant, thankyou very much.

A couple of questions: What do you mean that it doesn't work on linux atm? And is only a chat program? Does this mean that you can't use it like dfterm 1?
My cat's breath smells of cat food.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2010, 11:04:53 pm »

Brilliant, thankyou very much.

A couple of questions: What do you mean that it doesn't work on linux atm? And is only a chat program? Does this mean that you can't use it like dfterm 1?

You can't use it like dfterm 1. It's incomplete and work in progress. You can't really use it on Windows either. That's why it's not the main download in the first forum post. The source code is provided for those who like to track development.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2010, 04:37:24 am »

I'm having issues like those that have been mentioned already - I've hooked everything up, and can link into DF through the terminal, but although I can CTRL-A to try and gain input nothing moves (I checked with verbosity and it's receiving the input). I can chat but not control the game. Other people can also connect in from other computers over the 'net but also can only chat, hitting CTRL-A for them highlights their name in red as per normal but they can't change anything either.

Intel Quad-Core Q6600
4 Gig RAM
Windows Vista Business 64

DFTerm .0.1.3c
DF 0.31.03
Putty
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2010, 09:22:47 am »

I'm having issues like those that have been mentioned already - I've hooked everything up, and can link into DF through the terminal, but although I can CTRL-A to try and gain input nothing moves (I checked with verbosity and it's receiving the input). I can chat but not control the game. Other people can also connect in from other computers over the 'net but also can only chat, hitting CTRL-A for them highlights their name in red as per normal but they can't change anything either.

Intel Quad-Core Q6600
4 Gig RAM

DFTerm .0.1.3c
DF 0.31.03
Putty

A known problem. And I still don't know exactly what causes it, how to reproduce it, or how to fix it. Others have reported the input just spontaneously started working later.

My best guess for now is that dfterm somehow takes the wrong window to send input to. Do you have [WINDOWED:PROMPT] on (in init.txt)? Set it as [WINDOWED:YES] or [WINDOWED:NO].

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2010, 09:33:09 am »

Intel Quad-Core Q6600
4 Gig RAM

DFTerm .0.1.3c
DF 0.31.03
Putty

A known problem. And I still don't know exactly what causes it, how to reproduce it, or how to fix it. Others have reported the input just spontaneously started working later.

My best guess for now is that dfterm somehow takes the wrong window to send input to. Do you have [WINDOWED:PROMPT] on (in init.txt)? Set it as [WINDOWED:YES] or [WINDOWED:NO].

It's set to Windowed:no. I'm using the exact same ini as a friend's fort, and we've been using his dfterm successfully, but it just doesn't seem to like me XD I figured I'd mention it here to help with data gathering and then hope that it fixes itself like it did for others.

We originally decided to try it on my machine since I have the quadcore, also since we found out that if we have the shared fort open with him hosting, and he starts another copy of DF up to work on a personal fort, it steals key control and won't let me move anything on the shared version (discovered after 2 minutes of mashing my keyboard and then the question of "Are you working on that other fort? The program seems to believe I'm constantly hitting shift and won't let me hit enter") I'm not complaining about that btw, I just find it amusing. ^^
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

JockthePilot

• Bay Watcher
  • NO JC NOT A WARM BEER WHAT THE HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 04, 2010, 04:14:22 pm »

Hey, I just wanted to ask: Is there is a windows version of dfterm2 up yet?

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2010, 02:46:41 am »

For the moment, if you want Windows version, you are going to have to compile it yourself. Dfterm2 is not ready for playing yet, but I'm actively developing it. I will announce it very clearly when it's ready.

JockthePilot

• Bay Watcher
  • NO JC NOT A WARM BEER WHAT THE HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 07, 2010, 10:40:32 am »

For the moment, if you want Windows version, you are going to have to compile it yourself. Dfterm2 is not ready for playing yet, but I'm actively developing it. I will announce it very clearly when it's ready.

You know, considering the one issue I'm having with DFTerm1 that I'm having, I might give it a shot.

My issue is that my android phone does not seem to want to send 'ctrl-a' at the beginning for some reason. I think it has to do with how this particular telnet program works; I'm trying to find solutions at both ends of my connection, but if I can just get past authentication I wouldn't necessarily need ctrl keys
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46