Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250144 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: Dfterm, Dwarf Fortress in a terminal
« Reply #60 on: March 14, 2010, 06:33:13 pm »

conected to the server, looks good to me (used terminal on mac, configured, and with one of the fonts from posts above).

edit: $ telnet 99.13.40.36 -43722
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 06:37:17 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 14, 2010, 10:29:01 pm »

The server is now up, and I have put the proper rules in the firewall. I was able to ping the port from an external proxy.

Any more issues, be sure to let me know.
You can't ping a port.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2010, 10:32:27 pm »

The server is now up, and I have put the proper rules in the firewall. I was able to ping the port from an external proxy.

Any more issues, be sure to let me know.
You can't ping a port.
You can however try and connect and see if you get a proper TCP handshake between a host and the client... Which is what I did.

I used http://www.canyouseeme.org/ as my external proxy.

Thanks for making me clear that up for you. :P
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2010, 04:53:45 am »

Would it be possible to have it send a terminal bell command whenever someone connects to the server? I tried to edit the file, but it did not like when i put ^G into the line where you have 'CTRL+A' when the client connects.

That would bell the connecting client and I think it should accept ^G if you write it as "\007" (without quotes). It's possible to make the server play a sound if you download some sound library that has lua bindings and modify the script file...but I think I'll make it easier for everyone and add that feature in 0.2.

I'm happy to hear stories about working servers for a change.
I make dead people. Dfterm3

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2010, 06:37:04 am »

Not sure if the problem lies with dfterm, but I noticed while working on the font that 4 characters are sending incorrect (but similar) characters for their tiles. The server was running on Windows XP, no idea if it happens on a linux server too.

Tile listing
TileCorrectSending
07/•U+2022/Alt+7U+25CF
09/○U+25CB/Alt+9U+25E6
15/☼U+263C/Alt+15U+00A4
22/▬U+25AC/Alt+22U+2017
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2010, 08:54:54 am »

Not sure if the problem lies with dfterm, but I noticed while working on the font that 4 characters are sending incorrect (but similar) characters for their tiles. The server was running on Windows XP, no idea if it happens on a linux server too.

Tile listing
TileCorrectSending
07/•U+2022/Alt+7U+25CF
09/○U+25CB/Alt+9U+25E6
15/☼U+263C/Alt+15U+00A4
22/▬U+25AC/Alt+22U+2017

That's because for the characters below 32 (space), I merely checked from the unicode tables for similiar looking characters. For the characters above ASCII range (>= 128) I used a table. I'll do a little update and release 0.1.2c which sends the correct symbols when I have time later today.

Should not happen with the Linux version.

EDIT: 0.1.2c is ready and can be downloaded from <a href="http://genodeen.net/files/dfterm/dfterm-0.1.2c.zip>here.[/url]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:30:52 am by Adeon »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2010, 09:44:19 am »

I'm going to be setting this up to run on my super-desktop today.  If anyone is interested in playing off of it send me a PM.  I don't remember the specs exactly I've played 200+ DF games with it with acceptable framerates.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2010, 09:58:06 am »

Feature request: Time in control counter by the active player name.

Then we can have rotating command every 15min or so, for a very fast succession game :)
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2010, 10:10:03 am »

Just wanted to toss this idea out there, no idea how feasible it is. Since DF is a single core game, perhaps an option to specify the number of DF instances for a single server? Then the ability to switch which instance you're watching with a chat command, that way everyone is connected to the same server/chat but there could be 1-4 forts going on. Add instance indicator next to name when they have game input(ex: Joe Smith (1)). Will flesh it out later when I get back to see how feasible it is.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:21:41 am by Elvang »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2010, 10:51:54 am »

Just wanted to toss this idea out there, no idea how feasible it is. Since DF is a single core game, perhaps an option to specify the number of DF instances for a single server? Then the ability to switch which instance you're watching with a chat command, that way everyone is connected to the same server/chat but there could be 1-4 forts going on. Add instance indicator next to name when they have game input(ex: Joe Smith (1)). Will flesh it out later when I get back to see how feasible it is.

Multiple forts at a time is a feature I've planned for dfterm 0.2. The indicator as to who is playing is currently indicated by colouring of the nickname (red means the player is having input, white is chatting, green is admin). It's feasible enough for me to implement it, I'm also planning things like user registration possibilities (optional for server admins, if or not they want to use it for their servers) and some way to control server "clouds", with multiple computers.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2010, 02:10:23 pm »

By indication, I meant of which instance of DF the player is controlling. For example, let's say I had a server running two instances of DF and there are currently three players connected, two of whom currently have game input but to different instances. If I wanted to watch Player B, I'd have to ask him which instance he's currently controlling as both players with control (albeit to different instances) would be colored red.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »

Features I think would be handy:

Send a bell to all terminals (or at least the administrator) whenever a new client connects and authenticates.
Have a 'chat hotkey' that you press when you want to chat when you have control, without giving up control. (when there are timers for control, this will be important.)
Showing the bandwidth usage/stats under where the client names are.
Instead of color, could we put standard IRC symbols for OP/Admin Voice and just regular users? that would make more sense to most people I would think.
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2010, 07:42:46 am »

Also what would be nice:
  • Unpauser - while noone is controling fort lives on it own
  • Server list - would be fun to know who is hosting(and playing) right now could be done with simple forum thread.

also @spokehedz:
couldn't connect to your game. I don't know why... Are you sure it's 24/7?
edit2: dfterm.servergame.org  you seem to have 'r' missing.
edit3: ok so 'r' is not needed my mistake :D (all is working ok)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:03:56 am by darius »

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2010, 03:30:31 pm »

i have noticed with putty that you have to select 'terminal' instead of SSH otherwise you spend your saturday looking for reasons why it won't connect. this is not a bug, this is an 1D-10T error. :D

Helix Marine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2010, 10:36:45 pm »

I tried hosting my game and it just crashes- I  run DFterm and it runs DF then automaticlly exits after starting DF.
Using DF version df_28_181_40d19_2_win

I'm using Vista with 64bit operating system.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:06:15 pm by Helix Marine »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 46