Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250209 times)

Dragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If some1 could help me with using a tileset(font) with puTTY/Dfterm it would be much appreciated...i have it installed but it dosn't show up as an option...help would be appreciated.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile

Thanks for the help, it's compiling now. :) Anyways, the ascii-art is from a package in the aur called archey2.

Anyways... new problem :(

After trying to run it in terminal (so that my WM keybindings wouldn't get in the way), I get the following results. I don't know why it didn't correctly translate the lines when writing the terminal to a file, it just did.
>snip<
echo $TERM: linux
tput columns: 128
tput lines: 37

Thanks again for the help :)

Looks a bit messy, but not exactly wrong...
(I'll admit I'm not sure just what it's supposed to look like, I follow this thread because it's an interesting project, but I've actually used it only once or twice.)

You might try tweaking your WM keybindings (I like to use the windows key for a lot of mine since nothing else uses it by default) and try running it in a terminal window.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile

Frostyfrog, Mego has had a good experience setting it up in linux.  He even uses the TrueTypeFont tilesets.  You could try asking him for a quick howto?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=49308
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Adeon, i think i have run into a problem while using your software.  After a period of time the server won't accept passwords anymore.. as in, anyone can login with no password required.  The admin account isn't recognized and logs in as a normal user.  I did my homework before coming here first though. 

It is more than possible i'm running up against the hardcoded 50 registered user limit.  Would that cause this type of behavior?  I'm going to try expanding the limit and see what happens.

People are really enjoying the game and i can only see it getting better.  There are some features i would like to request from you though to improve the gameplay.  Vote ban and Vote nohands.  Vote ban of course being they can never login again.  Vote nohands means they cannot take control of the game, but may watch & chat.  Vote nohands can have a time limit of a few hours.. it would be extremely useful in situations where someone is playing the "Dwarven Drinking Game" and drinks a bit too much.  The only other changes that i think would be useful is a general streamlining of the join process.  Many people upon connecting try to launch a new game because it's not obvious there is already one going.  So either the "launch new game" option can be removed when max slots are reached, or allow the admin to automatically shove new joiners directly into a slot (if it is running).

Currently my solution to the "no password needed" thing is delete dfterm2_database.sqlite3 and replace it with a backup (already configured but very few accounts on it).  However this requires a server restart and i have to login and tell everyone to save and bugger off for a bit.

Thanks for all your work!  It is getting some good use.
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile

Adeon, i think i have run into a problem while using your software.  After a period of time the server won't accept passwords anymore.. as in, anyone can login with no password required.  The admin account isn't recognized and logs in as a normal user.  I did my homework before coming here first though. 

It is more than possible i'm running up against the hardcoded 50 registered user limit.  Would that cause this type of behavior?  I'm going to try expanding the limit and see what happens.

People are really enjoying the game and i can only see it getting better.  There are some features i would like to request from you though to improve the gameplay.  Vote ban and Vote nohands.  Vote ban of course being they can never login again.  Vote nohands means they cannot take control of the game, but may watch & chat.  Vote nohands can have a time limit of a few hours.. it would be extremely useful in situations where someone is playing the "Dwarven Drinking Game" and drinks a bit too much.  The only other changes that i think would be useful is a general streamlining of the join process.  Many people upon connecting try to launch a new game because it's not obvious there is already one going.  So either the "launch new game" option can be removed when max slots are reached, or allow the admin to automatically shove new joiners directly into a slot (if it is running).

Currently my solution to the "no password needed" thing is delete dfterm2_database.sqlite3 and replace it with a backup (already configured but very few accounts on it).  However this requires a server restart and i have to login and tell everyone to save and bugger off for a bit.

Thanks for all your work!  It is getting some good use.

Hi. Sorry for late response.

It's possible that the limits are buggy because I have not tested them properly. I never thought the software would get enough users to hit the limits I set.

I haven't worked on dfterm2 codebase for a while now and it's kind of starting to rot. I'd prefer not to add any features but if I have time, I'll do something about that at next release (which would be when next DF version comes out). Auto-joining and password behaviour changing shouldn't take too much work but the voting system could take some time.

The no password required-thing probably means it won't recognize the user as the user from the database (possibly because of the limits) and instead treats them as one-time users, just with the same name as the user in the database. So while it may be confusing, at least they don't get more privileges than they should.

I've wanted to substantially change the login process, delegating the connection handling to ssh and improving terminal emulator support on linux.

I'll be back.
I make dead people. Dfterm3

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Glad to hear it!  Sounds like you have some plans rolling around in the back of your mind.

So far the increased limits are working.  The only changes were: MAX_REGISTERED_USERS = 500 and CONFIGURATION_FILE_MAX_SIZE = 1000000

My experiences so far are good.  We'll get around 10-12 people during events and a few people throughout the week.  I really prefer only having one fort up to force people to play on the "community fort" instead of just gen+embark+disconnect.  The web client was neat but the common complaint was lag.  Actually, the only complaints i've ever heard (in order of amount) is lag, controls, and small viewing area.
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Lawlcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm having an issue with "bleeding" tiles, tiles shifted over, and movement/selection not working properly (goes the wrong way!)

Here's an example of the bleeding at the menu screen: http://i.imgur.com/A9n00.png
You can also see that Start Playing is on there twice. The tiles are all shifted down once as well after being originally displayed.

If I try to, say, press d to start designating an area and I move the cursor left, the cursor actually goes right and sometimes up/down.

This is how it looks at the embark screen: http://i.imgur.com/v9MHZ.png which makes it pretty much a crapshoot if I get a good embark or not.

dfterm2 is running on my ubuntu server and df is running the latest 31.25 build. 

It does this either in telnet straight on the box to itself, putty from any of my other 2 machines or even on the http/flash client if I enable it. Playing DF stand-alone on the client works fine, just not through dfterm

It also seems to just inject random keypresses. If I try to just move up and down in the view screen, it seems to hit Escape as well. When I try to type into the profile box, it adds random ^D] or ^F] characters into the typing area that I have to delete and try again.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:03:18 am by Lawlcat »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile

I'm having an issue with "bleeding" tiles, tiles shifted over, and movement/selection not working properly (goes the wrong way!)

Here's an example of the bleeding at the menu screen: http://i.imgur.com/A9n00.png
You can also see that Start Playing is on there twice. The tiles are all shifted down once as well after being originally displayed.

If I try to, say, press d to start designating an area and I move the cursor left, the cursor actually goes right and sometimes up/down.

This is how it looks at the embark screen: http://i.imgur.com/v9MHZ.png which makes it pretty much a crapshoot if I get a good embark or not.

dfterm2 is running on my ubuntu server and df is running the latest 31.25 build. 

It does this either in telnet straight on the box to itself, putty from any of my other 2 machines or even on the http/flash client if I enable it. Playing DF stand-alone on the client works fine, just not through dfterm

It also seems to just inject random keypresses. If I try to just move up and down in the view screen, it seems to hit Escape as well. When I try to type into the profile box, it adds random ^D] or ^F] characters into the typing area that I have to delete and try again.

Check that you have UTF-8 turned on everywhere. Dfterm2 doesn't respect locale settings (it would be a good practice if it did but at this point I'm too lazy to fix it, since most people use UTF-8). Based on those screenshots, it looks like PuTTY is not in UTF-8 mode. Dfterm2 always sends UTF-8 regardless of current locale it was run in.

I thought the flash interface would at least would work which sounds a little puzzling.

The shifting occurs because PuTTY and Dfterm2+DF don't agree how to represent some characters or how much space they take.

Playing directly on the server works because Dfterm2 isn't there assuming PuTTY is in UTF-8 mode.

Let me know if this was any help.

Lawlcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Check that you have UTF-8 turned on everywhere. Dfterm2 doesn't respect locale settings (it would be a good practice if it did but at this point I'm too lazy to fix it, since most people use UTF-8). Based on those screenshots, it looks like PuTTY is not in UTF-8 mode. Dfterm2 always sends UTF-8 regardless of current locale it was run in.

I thought the flash interface would at least would work which sounds a little puzzling.

The shifting occurs because PuTTY and Dfterm2+DF don't agree how to represent some characters or how much space they take.

Playing directly on the server works because Dfterm2 isn't there assuming PuTTY is in UTF-8 mode.

Let me know if this was any help.

I've set PuTTY to translate to UTF-8 and it seemed to help a hair, like the menu doesn't duplicate, but in-game it's still goofy when pressing arrow keys to move and some of the screen on the right gets shifted to the left hand sometimes...

Tried with the Windows 7 telnet client and that was just a complete mess lol, I get the feeling I've either got some setting wrong on my server or dwarf fort isn't installed/setup properly
A friend tried from his machine using Cygwin and UTF-8 and he's getting the tearing as well
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:36:08 pm by Lawlcat »

wasurerarenai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.13, Errors compiling FreeBSD
« Reply #489 on: October 02, 2011, 03:18:19 am »

Installed and configured on FreeBSD 8.1. Still having issues with compiling. Any hints for changes that could help?

Noting necessary change to allow lua51 FreeBSD locations to be found:
Code: [Select]
vim dfterm2/trankesbel/FindLua.cmake

FIND_PATH(LUA_INCLUDE_PATH lua.h
/usr/local/include/lua51

FIND_LIBRARY(LUA_LIBRARIES NAMES ${LUA_SEARCH_LIBRARIES}
/usr/local/lib/lua51

Error Compiling:
[ /usr/local/dfterm2]# make
[  1%] Building CXX object trankesbel/CMakeFiles/trankesbel.dir/interface_ncurses.cc.o
[ 11%] Building CXX object trankesbel/CMakeFiles/trankesbel.dir/sockets.cc.o
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc: In function 'std::string getErrorStringSocketsError(int)':
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc:313: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to 'const char*'
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc:313: error:   initializing argument 1 of 'std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _CharT*, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]'
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc: In function 'std::string getErrorStringEAI(int)':
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc:349: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to 'const char*'
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc:349: error:   initializing argument 1 of 'std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _CharT*, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/local/dfterm2.
*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

Mike

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.13, Errors compiling FreeBSD
« Reply #490 on: October 04, 2011, 11:29:03 am »

Installed and configured on FreeBSD 8.1. Still having issues with compiling. Any hints for changes that could help?

Noting necessary change to allow lua51 FreeBSD locations to be found:
vim dfterm2/trankesbel/FindLua.cmake

FIND_PATH(LUA_INCLUDE_PATH lua.h
/usr/local/include/lua51

FIND_LIBRARY(LUA_LIBRARIES NAMES ${LUA_SEARCH_LIBRARIES}
/usr/local/lib/lua51

Error Compiling:
[ /usr/local/dfterm2]# make
[  1%] Building CXX object trankesbel/CMakeFiles/trankesbel.dir/interface_ncurses.cc.o
[ 11%] Building CXX object trankesbel/CMakeFiles/trankesbel.dir/sockets.cc.o
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc: In function 'std::string getErrorStringSocketsError(int)':
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc:313: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to 'const char*'
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc:313: error:   initializing argument 1 of 'std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _CharT*, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]'
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc: In function 'std::string getErrorStringEAI(int)':
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc:349: error: invalid conversion from 'int' to 'const char*'
/usr/local/dfterm2/trankesbel/sockets.cc:349: error:   initializing argument 1 of 'std::basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Alloc>::basic_string(const _CharT*, const _Alloc&) [with _CharT = char, _Traits = std::char_traits<char>, _Alloc = std::allocator<char>]'
*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

Mike

Dfterm2 cannot be compiled on any BSDs. Event poller code for them has not been written. Linux uses epoll(), Windows uses its own object waiting system and FreeBSD has kqueue().

That particular error seems to occur because BSD doesn't use the GNU-type strerror_r. It is easy to fix by adding a macro flag (_XOPEN_SOURCE=600) and changing the code at all places in Dfterm2 where strerror_r is used to use the XSI-compliant strerror_r, but you still need to know your way around in the code.

I'm not fixing this because then I probably should also go all the way and make a port to FreeBSD. I'm working on a major upgrade where I may address this, if it gets ready some day.

wasurerarenai

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Thanks for the explanation. I may try your suggestion. If I do I'll report my otherwise best wishes on your major upgrade.

Mike

Mikael134

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I wonder if its to much hassle for you to add a port config, would make it a lot simpler for me and others to change ports, thanks

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile

I wonder if its to much hassle for you to add a port config, would make it a lot simpler for me and others to change ports, thanks

Use --port command line parameter. For example, dfterm2 --port 1234 to listen on port 1234.

DarkDecaydence

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Would future versions be able to support graphics sets?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 46