Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250244 times)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile

I tried running this but after following the tutorial linked to in the first post I don't get it working. When I try to open connection with putty it either gives me a screen with just one little box in it that doesn't enable me to do anything or it simply disappears :? Is there something very obvious I am missing that is not in the tutorial, or does it work differently with hamachi?

If you get a blue box inside the putty window, then connection is working. It should ask for a username first so you type it in with your keyboard.

If you don't get anything, you probably weren't able to connect. PuTTY typically closes the window when connection is cut so it disappears. Check that the port on which dfterm2 listens on can be reached. Even with hamachi, you may have to allow it to be a server from your firewall.

I make dead people. Dfterm3

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile

Apologies if this was covered earlier, Im running out of time so I cant search the entire thread.

I can get everything working except dfterm2_configure.

Like most console applications it closes immediately after running several lines of text.

I have totally forgotten how to keep the programs from closing by running them in Command Prompt after I learned how to use QT Creator.

Im using Windows 7 64-bit.

EDIT:
New difficulty;
The chat section is chopping off the game section, that cant last or i wont be able to play.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 03:13:43 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile

Apologies if this was covered earlier, Im running out of time so I cant search the entire thread.

I can get everything working except dfterm2_configure.

Like most console applications it closes immediately after running several lines of text.

I have totally forgotten how to keep the programs from closing by running them in Command Prompt after I learned how to use QT Creator.

Im using Windows 7 64-bit.

EDIT:
New difficulty;
The chat section is chopping off the game section, that cant last or i wont be able to play.

dfterm2_configure is supposed to be run from the command line. Launch cmd.exe and then run it from inside that. That tool is normally not needed unless you have to do something special (like if you forgot to add an admin user or want to wipe the database). Available options can be found by writing --help as the parameter.

You can hide any window by focusing on it and pressing CTRL+X. CTRL+R makes borders go away that also saves space.

And finally, CTRL+F enlarges any window to take all the space or shrinks it back.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:35:48 pm by Adeon »
I make dead people. Dfterm3

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh sweet, thanks!

That is worth some testing right there.

EDIT: Also, I know I need to run it in command line, its just I forgot how to do that, and after about an hour I decided to give up on searching google for an answer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 12:40:34 am by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile

Oh sweet, thanks!

That is worth some testing right there.

EDIT: Also, I know I need to run it in command line, its just I forgot how to do that, and after about an hour I decided to give up on searching google for an answer.
type cmd.exe into the windows seven start menu search box and it should be the first link, click it and it will open the command line, then you'll need to browse to wherever you saved the program with the cd command and then execute it by typing it into the command line.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, thanks for the help guys.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, is there any interest here in me trying to distribute a PuTTY like application that reads a .png tileset and displays that?

I plan on making one for myself, but I could make it remotely usable for other people.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress

So, is there any interest here in me trying to distribute a PuTTY like application that reads a .png tileset and displays that?

I plan on making one for myself, but I could make it remotely usable for other people.

You have my interest :-)
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile

sounds interesting

think you could do it as a patch against PuTTY? it is open-source (link). i imagine it'd save you a lot of work.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Me and a buddy got it running, but all he sees are various forms of A's instead of the usual DF tileset, anybody know what's going on?

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, could this:
Be used to do a succession fort in which two users swap back and forth?
If the above is true, can the host be one of the players, or would he have to take DFTerm offline and play offline?
If both of the above are true, could you give me a brief summary of how to set it up?

Ruirize

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • 2DCraft - A free 2D clone of Minecraft!

Both true.

In the server, set the game up normally, and allow only you and and your friend to play. Easy enough, you could probably work the rest out yourself.
░▒▓█▌2DCraft▐█▓▒░ - The free 2D Minecraft clone!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile

This is pretty cool.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neth Shady

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I just installed all the relevant libraries and tried building dfterm2 from source, but when using make, it throws tons of errors, ending with
Code: [Select]
types.cc:(.text+0x33b): undefined reference to `icu_48::UnicodeString::~UnicodeString()'
types.cc:(.text+0x352): undefined reference to `icu_48::UnicodeString::~UnicodeString()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [dfterm2] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/dfterm2.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
From a cursory glance, all the errors are related to icu_48, but I am sure I installed ICU correctly, icu-config works, for example.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? (I'm using Debian)

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile

I just installed libicu42 and libicu42-dev.  Did you install the dev components?
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 46