Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250252 times)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.10, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (Telnet or web browser)
« Reply #405 on: November 12, 2010, 05:37:47 pm »

I've released dfterm2 0.10 with DF 0.31.17 support.

There are minor changes, but in the spotlight is the ability to remap keys related to the interface. If you can't use Alt+1, Alt+2, Ctrl+L, etc. for some reason, now you can change them.

Now, I don't spend much time on dfterm2, having moved on to other projects, so I decided to make this feature quickly. Because of this, there is no nice interface to map the keys. You have to modify a configuration file. The windows installer installs a file called interface_keymappings.conf to the place where dfterm2 is installed where the key settings are. Instructions on modifying the file is in the file itself, you can modify it using the Windows notepad. Linux users should have the file in the same directory where they run dfterm2.

Also note that changes affect all users who connect to the server, and that the "Alt+1", "Alt+2", "Alt+3" etc. names in window titles don't change, even though the keys to change focus may have been remapped.

I've heard people have had trouble using Alt+combinations on their mobile devices and this was the motivation behind including this feature.

Other minor change is reducing the time spent waiting after an escape key. This should make esc more responsive.

Report any bugs or anomalies.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 05:48:18 pm by Adeon »
I make dead people. Dfterm3

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.10, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely
« Reply #406 on: November 18, 2010, 11:23:34 am »

Not sure if this is a good place to post this, so apologies if I'm out of line.

I've been trying to get dfterm2 working on Debian Squeeze, and while it seems to run just fine, Dwarf Fortress in TEXT mode segfaults on me at launch.  This is true of .17 and .18 (haven't tried any versions older than that yet).

Does anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone know of a really dumb mistake I'm almost certainly making?

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 18, 2010, 01:04:55 pm »

I've been trying to get dfterm2 working on Debian Squeeze, and while it seems to run just fine, Dwarf Fortress in TEXT mode segfaults on me at launch.  This is true of .17 and .18 (haven't tried any versions older than that yet).

Does anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone know of a really dumb mistake I'm almost certainly making?

Does Dwarf Fortress work in TEXT mode without using dfterm2?

If it doesn't, then this isn't the thread you are looking for.

Carp Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 18, 2010, 01:10:40 pm »

um spo basically this is an ALMOST multiplayer???? ???

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 18, 2010, 01:26:11 pm »

um spo basically this is an ALMOST multiplayer???? ???

I'd say it is the closest you can get to multiplayer.

It allows more than one person to watch the same game in real time, and take turns playing it. Because it's all text, it doesn't use much bandwidth.

But it's not what people would call "true" multiplayer.

Carp Slayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 18, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »

... that's called turnbased multiplayer HOLY STEEL ITS ACTUAL MUTLIPLAYER (turnbased mutliplayer is still multiplayer) YOU SIR DESERVE TO BE IMMORTALIZED! IN AN ENGRAVING OF YOU EATING CHEESE!!!!

danaris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 18, 2010, 07:37:27 pm »

Does Dwarf Fortress work in TEXT mode without using dfterm2?

If it doesn't, then this isn't the thread you are looking for.

In that case, I apologize, and will seek a more suitable venue.  :)

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
« Reply #412 on: November 30, 2010, 07:17:07 pm »

Is there not an easy way to make this work with 31.18?  I was hoping to find a memory.xml or something similar, but I don't see any file in the install directory that defines version offsets...
[i do not regret]

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 09, 2010, 06:30:09 pm »

Is there not an easy way to make this work with 31.18?  I was hoping to find a memory.xml or something similar, but I don't see any file in the install directory that defines version offsets...

(sorry for late response)

No. The offsets are hardcoded. If you want to do it yourself, you need to modify the code and compile it. Usually I do updates myself rapidly after a DF release but I've been busy doing a lot of other stuff.

(In case someone is actually up to doing that, the relevant code for detecting DF version and setting offsets can be found in file slot_dfglue.cc and dfterm_injection_glue.cc)

It's not (relatively speaking) trivial to add support for configurable memory offsets. Before I was thinking of solving the problem with DFHack and the codebase already has some support for DFHack backend but it doesn't support input and has strange lock-up issues and flickering.

I'm thinking of hacking together a memory configuration script that can be used to configure memory reading from DF in dfterm2, most likely it will be in Lua language. I think it would be the fastest way for me to make it configurable, which would also free me from doing any more updates. (Yeah, I'm not working on dfterm2 anymore, having moved on...)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.11, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely
« Reply #414 on: December 09, 2010, 08:14:25 pm »

Incidentally, I've released dfterm2 0.11 with DF 0.31.18 support. No other changes. Enjoy.

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
« Reply #415 on: December 09, 2010, 08:46:01 pm »

Incidentally, I've released dfterm2 0.11 with DF 0.31.18 support. No other changes. Enjoy.

Thanks!  Also, I understand about having to maintain a hobby project you've moved on from >_>  Since you've open sourced it (and told us where to change the memory values!) it should be easy to maintain.  I appreciate the effort you've put into it... the project is pretty incredible.  I recently used it to teach someone how to play from afar... had them run dfterm so I could snoop on what they're doing and offer tips.  Very handy :)

Maybe some day (ha ha) we'll get native support in DF for remote sessions ;)  Ah well, a fool can dream.
[i do not regret]

Junk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.2, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (Telnet or web browser)
« Reply #416 on: January 07, 2011, 03:08:49 pm »

When compiling on Linux, I get this:
server.com:~/dfterm2# make
[ 34%] Built target trankesbel
Linking CXX executable dfterm2
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../lib/libicuuc.a(udata.ao): In function `openCommonData':
(.text+0xc5f): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../lib/libicuuc.a(udata.ao): In function `openCommonData':
(.text+0xc7a): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
(.text+0xc99): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [dfterm2] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/dfterm2.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Obviously the chicken count is OK  8)

Regarding this link issue, it can be done with static libraries if only you enclose the library list between the start-group/end-group statement like this:

ld --start-group libicuuc.a myotherstaticlib.a --end-group -o myapp
or
gcc -Xlinker --start-group libicuuc.a myotherstaticlib.a -Xlinker --end-group -o myapp

bye ;)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm2 0.2, text Dwarf Fortress on remote servers (Telnet or web browser)
« Reply #417 on: January 07, 2011, 04:27:38 pm »

When compiling on Linux, I get this:
server.com:~/dfterm2# make
[ 34%] Built target trankesbel
Linking CXX executable dfterm2
(.text+0xc5f): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
(.text+0xc7a): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
(.text+0xc99): undefined reference to `icudt44_dat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [dfterm2] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/dfterm2.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Obviously the chicken count is OK  8)

Regarding this link issue, it can be done with static libraries if only you enclose the library list between the start-group/end-group statement like this:

ld --start-group libicuuc.a myotherstaticlib.a --end-group -o myapp
or
gcc -Xlinker --start-group libicuuc.a myotherstaticlib.a -Xlinker --end-group -o myapp

bye ;)

I think I made dfterm2 default to using dynamic libraries many versions ago, killing the linker errors.

bdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 14, 2011, 10:15:30 pm »

Hmm... so there's no 'git://genodeen.net/adeon_dfhack' atm right? (just checked by webgit and the name wasn't changed)

Should I wait, get older version or clone it from other source?
The last option would be fastest but I'm not sure if you didn't make some changes and if it would work that way.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 15, 2011, 06:37:04 am »

Hmm... so there's no 'git://genodeen.net/adeon_dfhack' atm right? (just checked by webgit and the name wasn't changed)

Should I wait, get older version or clone it from other source?
The last option would be fastest but I'm not sure if you didn't make some changes and if it would work that way.

Oops. I removed that repository at a cleanup check.

Dfterm2 repository has been updated to not try to clone from that non-existent repository. This doesn't affect functionality (there was experimental work on dfhack backend, but it doesn't work properly and is disabled by default).

You may want to clone git://genodeen.net/dfterm2 again to a fresh directory to reset settings on submodules.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 46