Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46

Author Topic: Dfterm2 0.16, server software for playing Dwarf Fortress remotely  (Read 250265 times)

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
Re: Dfterm, Dwarf Fortress in a terminal (v0.1.3c - 13/4/2010)
« Reply #210 on: June 07, 2010, 11:55:18 am »

Hey, I just wanted to ask: Is there is a windows version of dfterm2 up yet?

For the moment, if you want Windows version, you are going to have to compile it yourself. Dfterm2 is not ready for playing yet, but I'm actively developing it. I will announce it very clearly when it's ready.

You know, considering the one issue I'm having with DFTerm1 that I'm having, I might give it a shot.

My issue is that my android phone does not seem to want to send 'ctrl-a' at the beginning for some reason. I think it has to do with how this particular telnet program works; I'm trying to find solutions at both ends of my connection, but if I can just get past authentication I wouldn't necessarily need ctrl keys

It is possible to change the key easily, it's just not...clean.

Go to file dwarf_fortress_term.lua to line 353. It looks like this:

Code: [Select]
    if (character == string.char(1)) then -- ctrl+A

The number 1 there is ctrl+A. You can change it to, say, letter b by replacing it with this:

Code: [Select]
    if (character == "b") then

...or any letter you like. Because of the way it works, there are some restrictions what you can put there, e.g. alt+key is multiple characters (usually escape character 27 and then the key or key sequence that was pressed after that). CTRL+some key is usually between character codes 1-31. Of course if you know Lua, you can change the behaviour or customize chat entirely.

I make dead people. Dfterm3

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 07, 2010, 05:45:33 pm »

This looks amazing. Does this mean I could open up my game, open up this, then other people with this downloaded could join in?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2010, 02:29:36 am »

This looks amazing. Does this mean I could open up my game, open up this, then other people with this downloaded could join in?

Yes. Note that the latest DF that's properly supported at the moment is v0.31.03.

EDIT: oops. Other people who play don't need this program. They need a telnet client and a terminal that supports ANSI/VT102 and UTF-8. For Windows, I recommend PuTTY.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 06:16:40 am by Adeon »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2010, 07:24:32 am »

So, I download this.
Friends download Putty.
They can watch me, chat with me, and play?
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2010, 08:25:16 am »

So, I download this.
Friends download Putty.
They can watch me, chat with me, and play?

Yes.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2010, 04:19:49 pm »

How restricted are they to playing?
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2010, 03:35:34 am »

How restricted are they to playing?

By default, everyone can play and watch. You can restrict who can play or chat by tuning configuration (by setting a password). Detailed instructions are in the manual included with the dfterm package.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 09, 2010, 07:08:14 am »

Downloaded it. I'll try it out probably today.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

JockthePilot

• Bay Watcher
  • NO JC NOT A WARM BEER WHAT THE HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2010, 10:24:42 am »

Hey, one more quick question: Will this need to be updated for 31.06 or should it work independent of version?

edit: On a side note I was having difficulty compiling dfterm2 last night. I had to build PDCurses, not the default linux curses library, as it lacks some macros like setcchar(), and it's still throwing cmake errors about boost in the transkebel(sp?) submodule.  I dont expect you to be supporting a unofficially released bit of source code, I just wanted to let you know.

double edit: The issue I'm having is not the control key. I think the android telnet client is waiting for something to finish happening on screen before it sends or something like that. If I force it to send the log in command at connection (in my case the "A" key) it will get to auth but then no matter what I press it won't recieve. This is probably an issue with the client I'm using but I thought I'd give you a heads up; it works fine everywhere else I've tried it including a home nethack server.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:30:37 am by JockthePilot »

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 10, 2010, 06:04:23 am »

Hey, one more quick question: Will this need to be updated for 31.06 or should it work independent of version?

edit: On a side note I was having difficulty compiling dfterm2 last night. I had to build PDCurses, not the default linux curses library, as it lacks some macros like setcchar(), and it's still throwing cmake errors about boost in the transkebel(sp?) submodule.  I dont expect you to be supporting a unofficially released bit of source code, I just wanted to let you know.

double edit: The issue I'm having is not the control key. I think the android telnet client is waiting for something to finish happening on screen before it sends or something like that. If I force it to send the log in command at connection (in my case the "A" key) it will get to auth but then no matter what I press it won't recieve. This is probably an issue with the client I'm using but I thought I'd give you a heads up; it works fine everywhere else I've tried it including a home nethack server.

Dfterm won't work with any DF version it was not updated to. The latest that works properly is v0.31.03. Dfterm2 has *almost* all the features dfterm has (missing slot work and saving their configuration to database), and I will do a sort of preview-release with it soonish (...hopefully, I won't promise or guarantee anything).

Dfterm2 doesn't actually need or use curses. The curses errors come from optional feature that's not in use. You can define compiler macro NO_CURSES to turn it off (unless it's broken, I don't have build test suites).

As for boost, you need a fairly recent version. Boost threads have recently had changes and I use them. I'm not sure which one exactly but the one with Debian Lenny is too old. I guess this might be the case for ncurses too, for the program could not compile on my Debian box and complained about setcchar. (I'm using Fedora 13 on my development machine). I should probably fix CMake files to check that you have recent enough versions...

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 10, 2010, 06:32:50 am »

When I open it with a fortress running it says a running DF can be attached to slot one. How do I do that, I can't type anything in the CMD, and I didn't see any faq packaged with it.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 10, 2010, 09:17:51 am »

When I open it with a fortress running it says a running DF can be attached to slot one. How do I do that, I can't type anything in the CMD, and I didn't see any faq packaged with it.

Quick guide:

1. Start dfterm
2. Grab a telnet client. You need this also on the machine where you start dfterm. This is probably PuTTY for you.
3. Telnet to 127.0.0.1, port 8000 (you can replace 127.0.0.1 with your IP address, other players need that)
4. You should see something already. Press CTRL+A and then type in your nickname and press enter.
5. You are now in chat. You can type your message here and press enter.
6. You can attach the DF process to the screen by typing "/launchdf" to chat. Again, check for supported DF version. Launch DF before doing this step.
7. You can start playing by pressing CTRL+A while in chat and CTRL+A again to return to chat.

Ports and addresses can be tuned. More slots can be created, if you are into that. The detailed manual is in a file called manual.pdf

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 10, 2010, 09:32:53 am »

Stupid PDF's. I appearently don't have its reader. But anyway thanks for the guide, I'll try it out when I get home.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

JockthePilot

• Bay Watcher
  • NO JC NOT A WARM BEER WHAT THE HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 10, 2010, 09:37:24 am »

Dfterm won't work with any DF version it was not updated to. The latest that works properly is v0.31.03. Dfterm2 has *almost* all the features dfterm has (missing slot work and saving their configuration to database), and I will do a sort of preview-release with it soonish (...hopefully, I won't promise or guarantee anything).

Dfterm2 doesn't actually need or use curses. The curses errors come from optional feature that's not in use. You can define compiler macro NO_CURSES to turn it off (unless it's broken, I don't have build test suites).

As for boost, you need a fairly recent version. Boost threads have recently had changes and I use them. I'm not sure which one exactly but the one with Debian Lenny is too old. I guess this might be the case for ncurses too, for the program could not compile on my Debian box and complained about setcchar. (I'm using Fedora 13 on my development machine). I should probably fix CMake files to check that you have recent enough versions...

From what I can tell, setcchar and company only come from PDCurses/Xcurses which are essentially the same thing, a port for curses to windows, DOS, and whatever else (xcurses being the X11 version that works with linux).  setcchar only appears, as far as I can tell, in the xcurses man pages:http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/cursesix.html but if I use that version of curses it throws a lot of errors anyway.

Where exactly can I define compiler macros? I'm new w/regards to compiling stuff, this is basically a lets learn linux experiment for me. If it's super involved, don't sweat it, I'll figure it out.
E: just adding a #define, ha.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:45:57 am by JockthePilot »

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 10, 2010, 12:40:29 pm »

I think the preferred way to do that would be with a command-line switch to the compiler, rather than editing the source files...

On the other hand, that probably involves editing the makefile...

never mind me, I know next to nothing about compiling C/C++ code
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46