Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flying miner caused by cave-in [40d]  (Read 877 times)

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flying miner caused by cave-in [40d]
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:22:38 am »

I was caving in lines of tiles to make my lava spa, and every time the dwarves stood so they would fall with the rocks. However, the second to last one to fall caused the miner to fly (blue background), and he isn't coming back down. It's been five minutes now.
He's over Open Space, with a 1 z-level drop, and has no intention of coming down.
How do I get my legendary miner back?

EDIT: Building floor under him did not help, neither did building Up stairs...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:11:41 am by Barnox »

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
Re: Flying miner caused by cave-in [40d]
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:57:45 pm »

This happens with goblins that get thrown sometimes. I think you need to use dwarf companion to get him down
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 01:59:55 pm »

Lava covering the stairs beneath him did no harm...

(Unrelatedly, how strong do you need to be in Adventurer Mode for Throw to actually launch enemies, unstead of acting like Take-Down?)

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 02:12:10 pm »

Flying creatures get stuck sometimes. I've seen it happen to soldiers, miners, goblins and even a snakeman in a cave river. They're essentially in stasis and can't be effected by anything, and short of using dwarf companion I don't think there's a way to get them out. If you build a statue garden or noble quarters around them they can make a nice centerpiece.

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:16:42 pm »

Pretty funny is that he's now been possessed. He is possessed, and flying. Exorcist much?
Although, a waste of a decent artifact. I'm not gunna go through the effort of getting Dwarf Companion just to do this one thing.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:36:09 am »

Experiments have shown that creatures stuck in the flying state are immune to everything.  They cannot be knocked out of the air or harmed by anything that you can do to them in the game, not even crushing them under caveins or filling the space with magma will harm them.  They also as far as I have been able to tell do not get tired, hungry, or thirsty, and appear to not even age (or at least don't die of old age while airborne).

I have never had a dwarf stuck airborne while in a strange mood.  I am curious as to whether the mood will time out and the dwarf go insane.  It is possible that he might be stuck in a strange mood forever, in which case you will then never get another strange mood while he lives.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:16:48 pm »

Barnox: did you save the game while the cave-in was occurring?

Barnox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:54:21 pm »

I don't believe so. And I'm suckish and don't keep backups anyway...
I do still have the save of him flying and in the mood, though. He's not gone insane yet.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 07:06:32 pm »

Well, if you're up for trying to fix it with Dwarf Companion, there are some useful instructions here.