Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heavily Wooded Map vs Trade Caravans  (Read 1185 times)

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Heavily Wooded Map vs Trade Caravans
« on: March 07, 2010, 05:09:00 am »

Turns out that my new map doesn't have any caravan access whatsoever, due to horribly large numbers of trees blocking up everything.

How can I get the caravans past the trees, short of cutting them all down?

I made a 3-tile cleared area around the edge of the map, with a path leading straight to my depot, but that didn't fix anything.
Any suggestions on how to make my depot wagon-accessible?

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heavily Wooded Map vs Trade Caravans
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:19:53 am »

there are a few ways.  if you build paved road 3 tiles thick, trees can't grow over the paths.  My preferred way is to build an underground road, separate from your fortress.  use ramps 3 thick for entrance and exit.  you may even want to put your depo underground.  the reason I like the underground option is because if you trap the entrance and exit, the caravans are relatively safe from wild animals and ambush parties.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:27:03 am »

there are a few ways.  if you build paved road 3 tiles thick, trees can't grow over the paths.  My preferred way is to build an underground road, separate from your fortress.  use ramps 3 thick for entrance and exit.  you may even want to put your depo underground.  the reason I like the underground option is because if you trap the entrance and exit, the caravans are relatively safe from wild animals and ambush parties.

That is quite nice design!

I myself do 3 to 5 tile wide floor tile road that has some nice color pattern (possibly, integration traps) along with statues every three tiles on sides to ensure that wagons stay on this "shortest road."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:56:19 pm »

A four tile wide underground path is a great way to let caravans in AND out during attacks. Just make sure to install some floodgates or other path blocker at the entrance. I usually install one to one side of the map and leave that entire level available for expansion. Leave the trade outpost underground, or make a separate walled in area above ground. Too many entrances to your main keep is fun, but not good in the long term.

#1- use ramps
#2- don't install floor hatches as they block Depot access

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 03:14:48 pm »

... now you're making me feel (even more) dissapointed about having built my fortress into a mountain where the wagons just roll over my entire fortress to land at my doorstep.

... I think I'll just cut away every naturally occuring ramp on the lowest level of the map, so that they have to come from the flat shrublands to the east and north...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 03:32:59 pm »

I never have any problems with this ...

... mostly because I cut everything down. You can never have enough buckets or beds! or barrels or bins! when i see a forest i think "i won't have to worry about barrels and bins for a long time!"
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 04:50:59 pm »

You can never have enough buckets or beds! or barrels or bins!

or pissed off elves!

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:24:21 pm »

You can never have enough buckets or beds! or barrels or bins!

or pissed off elves!
Or Fun!
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 02:17:55 pm »

They do not. I routinely use them instead of bridges for isolating my depot, because of the faster response time.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 01:33:20 pm »

They do not. I routinely use them instead of bridges for isolating my depot, because of the faster response time.

What I should have said was, don't use them as they are when plopped down, ie vanilla. Connecting them to a lever is perfectly viable.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 01:34:14 pm »

What I should have said was, don't use them as they are when plopped down, ie vanilla. Placed over a ramp tile, they will block access. Connecting them to a lever is perfectly viable.