Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slow marksdwarf training  (Read 676 times)

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Slow marksdwarf training
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:10:57 am »

For me it seems to take a reeaaallly long time to train up marksdwarves to legendary... even with training bolts available 80 percent or so of the time and plenty of targets to train on it seems to take several years to get to legendary... is there anyway to speed the process up or do i just have to live with it?
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slow marksdwarf training
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:19:24 am »

Make a path that enemy sieges can take that you can seal at both ends with fortifications overlooking it. Then, have your sole defenders be your marksdwarves. Marksdwarves get much, much more experience shooting at live targets than archery targets. I've had marksdwarves go from totally untrained to elite in 1 season from an orc siege, for instance. You just need some way to keep your "practice targets" where your shooters can hit them, hence the sealable shooting gallery.

The more enemies you can trap, of course, means more targets, longer to kill all targets, and thus more experience, so making the shooting gallery long and sinuous is better than short and straight.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slow marksdwarf training
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 12:25:33 am »

Train them up to be champion wrestlers. After they're champion wrestlers then give them a crossbow and put them on the firing line.

Live fire training is vastly more effective than practice training, and assuming you have the firing positions next to your ammo stockpile (and you should!) then skill level of the dwarves should not matter.

It will still be a swarm of crossbow bolts despite the skill level, and after only a couple sieges they will be legendary marksdwarves.