Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What to do with a kobold?  (Read 3993 times)

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: What to do with a kobold?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 07:39:45 pm »

why do these threads keep pop up? for example
-What to do with Goblins?
-What to do with Elves
-What to do with Orcs
-What to do with [Insert catched creature here]

srsly the search button might help
or better look at the thread called "What to do with caged goblins?"

Yeah, but this is a kobold! Those are a lot harder to catch.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 07:51:20 pm »

why do these threads keep pop up? for example
-What to do with Goblins?
-What to do with Elves
-What to do with Orcs
-What to do with [Insert catched creature here]

srsly the search button might help
or better look at the thread called "What to do with caged goblins?"

That thread was made AFTER this one.

And people  enjoy responding to these threads, so don't ruin people's fun, kthnx.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 04:49:54 am »

Well magma, prisoners, carp, dead nobles and tantrum spirals are 90% of the forums because everyone encounters them sooner or later and wants to post their own thread. 

This is your DF meme thread.  There are many like it but this one is yours.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

techno65535

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 05:33:41 am »

Here's one, build a tower as high as you can, place the kobold in a room with an open side in it, and release it, but make sure it can't get back out. Build another tower across from the open side of the kobold's room, build a platform out to the side of this one, build a retracting bridge that will go from the platform to the kobold room. Should probably do this before releasing the kobold. Place an artifact on the platform and a pressure plate at the only exit set to release the platform from both towers. He gets his treasure. but he never gets to share it.
... while being chased by axe-welding cats in the dark.
Scratch that, throwing-axe-wielding cats in the dark.
They're cute but my god that's terrifying.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 10:31:22 am »

build a box over magma attached to a one tile bride, designate the cage for dumping/stick the kobold in the box without cage, seal the top and remove the one tile that holds the box in place.

If your dwarf stands on the box while removing thats his fault not yours
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

EliDupree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Eli Dupree's Web Page
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 04:50:05 pm »

Kobolds have [CAN_LEARN] and [MAXAGE:150:170], same as dwarves. Hence, this is my suggestion:

1. First of all, do not dump any weapons or armour he has. This makes the rest of the process easier.
2. Set the kobold up a cosy arena. Make sure you are able to drop enemies in periodically, and also that the kobold cannot break out. Recaging the kobold and putting in back in would be possible, but troublesome.
3. Drop the smallest enemies you can find in one by one, letting the kobold skill up and hoping that it doesn't get killed.*

Hmm - would it also be possible to train the kobold by dumping it in a swimming pool and having it gain swimming skill?

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 06:34:07 pm »

Kobolds have [CAN_LEARN] and [MAXAGE:150:170], same as dwarves. Hence, this is my suggestion:

1. First of all, do not dump any weapons or armour he has. This makes the rest of the process easier.
2. Set the kobold up a cosy arena. Make sure you are able to drop enemies in periodically, and also that the kobold cannot break out. Recaging the kobold and putting in back in would be possible, but troublesome.
3. Drop the smallest enemies you can find in one by one, letting the kobold skill up and hoping that it doesn't get killed.*

Hmm - would it also be possible to train the kobold by dumping it in a swimming pool and having it gain swimming skill?
Probably! Then you could also feed in carp now and then. If you set up an alternating entrance (where a mechanical repeater toggles two doors in opposite directions open and closed at different times) he'll even path back and forth.

In fact, I think I'll change my vote. Having a multi-Legendary kobold as your moat monster is pretty awesome.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 07:57:38 pm »

well, Finally got Dwarf Companion to work, so i decided to make her(yes, its a she). so i build the cage she's in, and release her. Voila, my own tame kobold!

Several strange things happened, however. One, she has nothing on, despite the face that i didn't order her cage dumped.

Two, and most important, She seems to be still in the Cage! now, I can zoom to her wandering around the mountains, but the cage still says she's inside it.

so, what do i do with this Schrodinger's Kobold?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 10:21:29 pm »

well, Finally got Dwarf Companion to work, so i decided to make her(yes, its a she). so i build the cage she's in, and release her. Voila, my own tame kobold!

Several strange things happened, however. One, she has nothing on, despite the face that i didn't order her cage dumped.

Two, and most important, She seems to be still in the Cage! now, I can zoom to her wandering around the mountains, but the cage still says she's inside it.

so, what do i do with this Schrodinger's Kobold?
Make backup.

See how many times you can release the kobold from the cage before the world explodes.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 10:34:18 pm »

problem with that is, it only let me release one kobold form the cage. so, the cage says she's in there(complete with flashing k symbol) but it won't let me release her again. so i have an empty cage that says it has a kobold in it, and that same kobold is now wandering around my fort....

I wonder, If i dump the cage in Magma, will she die?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

yuriatayde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 03:25:10 am »

Well, now I know what's going in my next fort. I'm going to either capture myself a kobold by any means necessary, or I'll find any monster with the ability to learn and make it my noble disposal unit. Eventually making it truly monstrous through experience gained by killing my living garbage, I can imagine some snooty noble staring up in terror at a ridiculously muscular snarling kobold holding a tiny knife and now I just have to try and make that happen somehow.

huh... I'm a huge fan of kobolds, but I've never tried to start a fortress of kobolds. I'm avoiding DF until the new version comes out, so maybe once it's released I should make that the first thing I do.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 06:32:59 am »

problem with that is, it only let me release one kobold form the cage. so, the cage says she's in there(complete with flashing k symbol) but it won't let me release her again. so i have an empty cage that says it has a kobold in it, and that same kobold is now wandering around my fort....

It's a phylactery, stupid! Your careless usage of memory-editing magic created a lich. Destroy the cage for science.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 06:39:21 am »

Great, Dwarven cloning vats.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 02:32:56 pm »

And?
Did you do it?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 03:03:01 pm »

She's still alive, but the cage went empty just before it got dumped.

Curiouser and curiouser
Pages: 1 [2] 3