Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What to do with a kobold?  (Read 3995 times)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
What to do with a kobold?
« on: March 06, 2010, 11:32:47 pm »

A recruit wrestled a kobold and, managed to knock him out on top of a cage trap. Now, I know a kobold that is not either fleeing, stealing a +Adamantine Goblet+, or dead is not exactly a common occurence, so what should i do with my Kobold in a cage?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with a kobold?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:34:58 pm »

But it in the dining hall, your dwarves must know the enemy. Or alternatively throw him into a unescapable room with a very valuable item, he'll have a valuable item but won't be able to get away with it.  :D

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:37:27 pm »

Build him his own little palace, and construct his cage inside it.  Complete with many engravings of your Dwarves valiantly striking down his brethren.  Be sure to include all masterpiece items, and set up a stockpile in that room with your most valuable items in it, just to taunt the little blighter with the fact that he's stuck in a cage with all that wealth just outside his grasp.
Sanity is for the weak.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:11 am »

You could always put him in a noble's room as a war prize, though be sure to attach a lever to the cage to make sure the kobold can't get out.

And of course, if he did happen to escape. It'd be pretty funny, i doubt he'd actually attack the noble. so the Noble would probably freak out until he starves/dies of dehydration/goes insane.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:25:27 am »

Kobolds have [CAN_LEARN] and [MAXAGE:150:170], same as dwarves. Hence, this is my suggestion:

1. First of all, do not dump any weapons or armour he has. This makes the rest of the process easier.
2. Set the kobold up a cosy arena. Make sure you are able to drop enemies in periodically, and also that the kobold cannot break out. Recaging the kobold and putting in back in would be possible, but troublesome.
3. Drop the smallest enemies you can find in one by one, letting the kobold skill up and hoping that it doesn't get killed.* For best results, use groundhog or fox children; they'll be size 1. Although - and I haven't tested this - it's entirely possible that the kobold and a non-hostile sacrifice will just ignore each other and spend their time trying to escape.**
4. Once your kobold is powerful enough you will be able to sacrifice unruly dwarves or traders to it. A bridge to a trade depot over the arena can be retracted at the appropriate time.
5. Even if you don't have any particular use for a super-powerful kobold, having a world where the creature with the most kills is a kobold with a loincloth and a large copper dagger is pretty badass.

Ideally, the fort could then be ended and worldgen run (I think there's a way to do that, refresh my memory anyone?). See whether the kobold will kill any megabeasts.

*If small enemies (groundhog, fox, cat, rhesus macaque, found in order here) are for some reason unavailable or they take too long to raise his skills, you can have multiple drop zones of differing heights. Dwarven science results suggest that a 1z drop will never result in injury, while a 10z drop will kill everything (anybody know otherwise)? Though a word of caution: when you drop an elephant in 9z levels, hoping it will fall unconscious and give your kobold wrestling experience, if it falls on another creature (the kobold or even a kitten) it will take literally zero damage (same with the other creature). Then all you have is a pissed off elephant versus a very small kobold.

**If you provide a single door leading out of the arena and set it to be locked and pet-impassable, creatures should still attempt to path through it. This might lead to confrontations as they find themselves on the same tile.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 03:37:21 am »

-Arena... Who will win, 2 kobolds and 3 goblins or a skeletal triceratops?  My fort is going to find out once I breach the aquifer and start real excavation. 

-Noble executioner

-Spartan Elementary School... remove the kobos dagger and drop unneeded children in a 1x1 pit with it.  Either the kid gets a head start wrestling or you get some FPS improvement.  Consider dropping the kobalt 3-5 z levels first. 

-Bone crafts for the bone crafts god... either toss it onto a trap with lots of axes or discs, or uncage it infront of your champion hammerdorf.  Either way, one kobalt becomes a handful of bones that can each make 3 crafts. 

-Dining room decoration

-Unleash it upon the elves as a proxy soldier.  They might just stand around trying to path through stuff instead of fighting though. 

-Think of something even better!  Combine fire, glowing pits, cast obsidian, duels and z levels in a unique way.   
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Barrel Roll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 03:42:06 am »

Is it possible to make a really badass steel dagger that he could use? Just drop it in his prison cell.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:45:34 am »

He won't pick it up.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:58:43 am »

use DC to make him your king/citizen/pet in thet order of preferability.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:43:24 pm »

Set up his cage in the best rooms in the fortress. Let's see how traumatised the nobles are by those bedroom arrangements.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 01:01:59 pm »

though be sure to attach a lever to the cage to make sure the kobold can't get out.
Wouldn't that open up a new way for the kobold to get out, rather than eliminate the non-existent escape method?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 01:17:00 pm »

edit it's raw file to make it godlike, enslave it then let it loose on those carp/elves/nobles/king/uristmcdwarf thats causing you problems
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 01:23:01 pm »

though be sure to attach a lever to the cage to make sure the kobold can't get out.
Wouldn't that open up a new way for the kobold to get out, rather than eliminate the non-existent escape method?

*facepalm* That's the point. The lever is there so he can get out and kill the noble.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 02:09:36 pm »

Build the cage outside.
Hook it up to a lever.
Go into it and tell your dwarves to dump his loincloth.
Release him and let him run back to mommy!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 03:23:49 pm »

why do these threads keep pop up? for example
-What to do with Goblins?
-What to do with Elves
-What to do with Orcs
-What to do with [Insert catched creature here]