Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mornington Crescent  (Read 3501 times)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mornington Crescent
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:05:52 pm »

Okay, I don't know if any of you know this game, but just read the Wikipedia page about it. It's difficult to understand, but easy to play. This is definitely the most entertaining game of MC I've ever seen, this is basically a standard game of MC.
You can find the game rules here.
Spoiler: REAL rules (click to show/hide)

Winning station is, of course, Mornington Crescent. You can find a London tube map here.

I start with Leyton, home station at Blackhorse Road, allowing for some diagonals and hop-striling to St. Paul's. The hard part is going to be getting around Putney Bridge...
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:11:50 pm by MC Dirty »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Mornington Crescent
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 11:09:04 pm »

This looks a lot like Tacticus minus the game board. Have you done a forum search on that? Not like I'd expect you to, it's kind of obscure.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 11:22:06 pm »

I suggest we add a game board and rename it "Tacticus". And then, add kitchen sinkmen to the game, placing three in the bottom left square.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:51:45 pm »

You and your kitchen sinkmen, next person to post here is probably going to be RAM with his overpowered necrophilia.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 12:16:19 am »

In accordance with basic fleet engagement rules (2nd edition), I declare the KNS Prophet to be in orbit.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 07:31:03 am »

This looks a lot like Tacticus minus the game board. Have you done a forum search on that? Not like I'd expect you to, it's kind of obscure.
Tacticus, you say... Hm, I've already heard of that. I just did a quick search and it's kind of similar.
In Tacticus, there are rules by which you play. They can change every turn, can get abandoned or reversed, but in the end, you still have rules and if you do a move, you have to justify it, even if you invent another rule. Mornington Crescent, on the other hand, consists of 80 % nonsensical terms or terms that aren't ever explained. Wanna invoke a temporal rift at Chalk Farm to use the token instability in Baker Street, increase your overall line velocity and shunt to Westminster, beginning a Dollis Hill loop to block Ladbroke Grove? Sure, you can do that! What do "token instability", "line velocity", "shunt", "loop" and "block" mean? No idea. When in doubt, they mean nothing.

Anyway, I would like a game of Tacticus, but this thread is about Mornington Crescent. If no one wants to play MC, just let this thread die, but I would just like to have an MC thread somewhere.
Someone care to open a Tacticus thread?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:59:12 am »

Oh, you say "Mornington Crescent, on the other hand, consists of 80 % nonsensical terms or terms that aren't ever explained".

Well, how about:
"I invoke a temporal rift at Charcoal Furnace to use the token instability to teleport to Mornington Crescent". I... win? Looks like that.

I doubt it's that easy. Actually I don't even get it. Can you explain a bit? I may join.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:01:16 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 08:15:57 am »

I place over 9000 kitchen sinkmen in the same location right next to Leyton. They all maul him, making me the victor. (At least for now...)
The victory condition is who can murder Leyton the most tines now, BTW.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 08:59:11 am »

Well, how about:
"I invoke a temporal rift at Charcoal Furnace to use the token instability to teleport to Mornington Crescent". I... win? Looks like that.
Ah, but, you see, the temporal rift at Charcoal Furnace sends the area around Euston in the year 1904 where Mornington Crescent didn't even exist. Thus, your move may be legit (seeing as Mornington Crescent in 1904 is the opposite of a Ghost Station), but it does not result in a win.
That move played havoc with my Fronsky Diagram, but it'll have to do.
Okay, as a counter, I claim Dollis Hill and thus start a Dollis Hill loop.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:06:58 am by MC Dirty »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 09:03:45 am »

I counter your dollis hill loop by renaming every station "Dollis Hill", thus allowing any Dollis Hill to be chosen. This is because I spawn 209 sinkmen near whoever decides these names and I force them to rename every station Dollis Hill.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 10:33:34 am »

I counter your dollis hill loop by renaming every station "Dollis Hill", thus allowing any Dollis Hill to be chosen. This is because I spawn 209 sinkmen near whoever decides these names and I force them to rename every station Dollis Hill.
Okay, so this is now a hybrid of Mornington Crescent and Tacticus? That's so ridiculous. Absolutely bizarre. Completely incomprehensible!
In other words: Extremely awesome!

You do know that you just made the game unwinnable? You'll never be able to reach Mornington Crescent.

Okay, by using a sidestrile at Dollis Hill and shunting your sinkmen, abusing their stupidity, I reach the station Hollis Dill. Furthermore, I sacrifice a lead token to spawn Mrs. Trellis, the greatest MC player on earth. Then, I put the dill in my soup. Then, I frume the circle line giving me an increase in line velocity and robbing you of your ability to move red tokens.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:35:08 am by MC Dirty »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:46 am »

I counter all your pathetic moves by assembling a device which controls all existing sinkmen for a brief period of time. Then I force them to come to all of those whoever decides these names and I force them to rename every station which is called Dollis Hill to Mornington Crescent. This way everyone (except for those on Hollis Dill) now is on Mornington Crescent, are we all teh winners (maybe except for the one)?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 10:54:48 am »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:37:07 pm by MC Dirty »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 12:16:02 pm »

I end this loop by turning every mornington crescent except the one I am in into a cheap plastic imitation of mornington crescent. Therefore, I win, and you are all cheap plastic imitations of winners.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 12:25:33 pm »

<deleted>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 09:37:00 pm by MC Dirty »
Pages: [1] 2 3