Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mornington Crescent  (Read 3497 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mornington Crescent
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 12:38:33 pm »

But surely if you can rationalise the coefficient reciprocals, you can utilize the tramlink expansion through subsequent applications of the Jones-Griffin function to transient exchanges in base e?

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 12:46:18 pm »

But surely if you can rationalise the coefficient reciprocals, you can utilize the tramlink expansion through subsequent applications of the Jones-Griffin function to transient exchanges in base e?
Surely, you could do that and normally, I would support such a move, but there are a few problems:
1. Unblocking the tramlink understrile is extremely costly and would spread the tokens across Mornington Crescent even more, further amplifying the Mornington Crescent loop.
2. Applying the Jones-Griffin function would offset the paraboloids across Hollis Dilll, Mornington Crescent and Mornington Crescent, leading to a token inflation.
3. Even with the Alchemical ruleset, changing the material would require the Philospher's Stone which doesn't exist in this universe. Getting the stone would imply setting up a natural derail from London to Paris with a detour around the sixth quadrant. And the import tax for Philosopher's Stones from France to GB are horrible.

On the other hand, a token inflation would set the 10 token limit for the loop higher, possibly breaking the Mornington Crescent loop if one could prepare Line Velocity of 97.5 % c around Hollis Dill.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:49:55 pm by MC Dirty »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 12:57:28 pm »

But the tertiary effects of franco-austrian fiscal policy would realign the paraboloids in such a way that a partial implementation of the alchemist's ruleset would apply (except in certain celestial alignments), allowing the bakerloo line to jump intermittently between dimensional membranes, and thus avoid the import tax

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 01:08:13 pm »

Of course! You're a genius! :) The zone multipliers would then be set to 1.1;1.1;1.15;1.0;1.1, allowing for a safe shunt and a short loop around Mornington Crescent and Gare du Nord. Paris has such an advanced underground system that the sudden token influx would pose no problem to the rotation mapping around Jubilee line.
Taking that into account, Beck's Coefficient is finally real again (approximately 0.829). If someone doesn't kick in a token cascade, the map should stabilize again.
100killer9's move could then be considered legal, but it would take more than one turn.

I dare say, this is a very interesting game of MC. Many Mornington Crescent stations and one Hollis Dill? Of course, this is thanks to our usage of Tacticus rules, but it's interesting nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:10:12 pm by MC Dirty »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 01:15:10 pm »

I have a rather simple winning move. I place no less than 6 sinkmen in every station with a bathroom, due to the Public Bathroom Animation Clause. These sinkmen must, unfortunately, be made so that they may never attack a man. Therefore, I turn everybody but myself into a woman, by instantaneously drying your bodies of hormones, placing the average female mix if hormones in your bloodstream, and changing your sexual organs. This works, as women are not men and thus the sinkmen will attack. Being the only one left alive, I must be the winner.
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:52 pm »

Ah! But I invoke the Gender Generalization Clause, which states that terms such as "man" or "men" apply to "mankind" and not just the male gender, rendering the sinkmen unable to attack anyone!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 01:27:18 pm »

How do you plan to turn everbody into a woman? And how should that affect the game? The players aren't physically existent in any station, making your move invalid. Even if you take a dimension spin around the Great Diagonal into account, the line instability would increase enormously, disabling your sinkmen from taking advantage of the overall increased Line Velocity. So, they will stay on the Mornington Crescent station that you claimed in the last turn.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:30:16 pm by MC Dirty »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41:27 pm »

Well, seeing as my plan failed, I shall throw the sinkmen into the subway line.
I shall also create multiple temporal influxes sometime in the near future, which means that it effects the current Underlying paraboloid scheme, inversely affecting the outwardmost lines as to be proportional to the function of the orthagonal lines.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 01:51:51 pm »

But don't you see? The Hammersmish & City line is the key to success! By approximating the underground network into a multi-dimensional matrix, one can then topologically map it onto the german U-bahn, whereupon Dermot's laws will come into effect. The route that the Hammersmith & city line takes at that point is dependent of the geometric displacement of the Oort cloud, with Paddington as an invariant point. One can then utilise the temporal properties of the german networks to change the permittivity of free space. This will alter Faraday's law in such a way that Victoria and Euston square will merge, with dimensional inconsistencies and recursion of the circle line causing five-dimensional links to form between chromatic tokens and modular forms, allowing one to circumvent the mornington crescent loop!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 01:56:00 pm »

But, ed boy, there are no Victoria and Euston Square. Just Mornington Crescent and Mornington Crescent. So, let me take a turn instead (PS: You ninja'd my turn while I was typing. ;))
Although a map with one Hollis Dill and only Mornington Crescent otherwise is interesting, it's also kind of boring.
Thus, I shall use 100killer9's set paraboloid mapping to undertunnel to the station that was once my home station, pay the toll of one wooden token and use the influx from the possibility of the Philosopher's Stone as discussed here to increase my own Line Velocity. This move results in even greater temporal oscillation, which, combined with the future temporal influxes, sends the map back to a state before everything was renamed "Dollis Hill". Just turned around 37.5°.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 01:58:58 pm »

In that case, I shall expend a rainbow taken and two elf tears, to align the mallengelic clouds, then placing me in astrological favour.

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 02:03:23 pm »

I shall expend a token for a hot dog, a chimpanzee, and a bugle, negatively inversing the sum of the angle, and reinvokong Faraday's Law, allowing the Morningstar loop to continue, in an inversely harmonized fashion.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 02:04:22 pm »

@ed boy: Interesting move. So, you're performing an astrological Frume?

Just wanted to say: My Fronsky Diagram currently looks like this:

The notation should be obvious to everyone.

Seeing as the Mornington Crescent loop still continues (which doesn't affect me because I'm on Blackhorse Road, my home station), I play a green token to invert the line color of all adjacent stations. Furthermore, I move to East Pudney.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 02:11:13 pm by MC Dirty »

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 02:16:43 pm »

I inverse the polarity of East Pudney. This makes it West Pudney, alternating the square roots of the coefficients of the neighboring stations, changing the line flux by 180 degrees.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 02:22:50 pm »

I see... Well then, I perform a Compass Trick from East West Pudney to Westminster. This move is extremely cheap ("West" to "West") and gains me 3 blue tokens along the Piccadilly line. Since it's sunday, Westminster gains me 1 black token because of the Jubilee line. The line coefficients along the Northern line thus increase, making every move over it extremely expensive.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 02:25:56 pm by MC Dirty »
Pages: 1 [2] 3