Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (Solved) How do you make a Quern with a reaction  (Read 1656 times)

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Solved) How do you make a Quern with a reaction
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:30:16 pm »

I'm amusing myself by making Elf Forest (playable df elves) while I wait for DF 2010 and I'd like to give them a Quern (think wooden mortar and pedestal). The Item Tokens DF Wiki page lists MILLSTONE but no quern. Is it a subtype of MILLSTONE or a separate token?

---

For the record Elf Forest is very, very broken.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:18:05 am by sunshaker »

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you make a Quern with a reaction
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:58:03 pm »

for the purposes of construction, a quern is a building made out of a millstone that uses manual power instead of external power. So you should just make the reaction use millstone, basically.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:34:55 pm »

What's the matter? Berries every meal for all eternity not looking so attractive now, eh? You made your rainy, dirty, leafy bed, now lie in it, elfboy.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:21:23 pm »

for the purposes of construction, a quern is a building made out of a millstone that uses manual power instead of external power. So you should just make the reaction use millstone, basically.

You are incorrect. At the mason's shop you are given the option of building either a Quern or a Millstone, each builds a different workshop, one powered by dwarves the other by machinery. Unless the Elves have a mechanic and are capable of building mechanisms, windmills or waterwheels they can not power the millstone. see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Mason%27s_workshop or try it in your game.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 10:24:57 pm »

What's the matter? Berries every meal for all eternity not looking so attractive now, eh? You made your rainy, dirty, leafy bed, now lie in it, elfboy.

lol, they can get apples, syrup and leaves now too (really they can make thread you would think they should know how to process plants).

No I was thinking about having them dye cloth but without a way to give them a Quern/Millstone they would need to buy the dye.

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:16:55 am »

Huh. You're right. My bad. I've never actually built a quern.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:59:27 am »

Huh. You're right. My bad. I've never actually built a quern.

No worries. I've played maps without trees so I've had to avoid things like winmills and water wheels and axles.

I'll experiment later this week on a day when it is not sunny out (hello sun, where have you been all winter?).

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 11:12:28 am »

(hello sun, where have you been all winter?).
Tired of being shaken, no doubt.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:17:38 am »

Apparently the token for a quern is QUERN, who would have thought. After some experimentation I was able to use the following reaction to make a functional wooden quern.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:WOOD_TO_QUERN]

[NAME:make wooden quern]

[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:QUERN:NO_SUBTYPE:WOOD:OAK]