Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a 10000 year map, civs keep dying out....  (Read 963 times)

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
Making a 10000 year map, civs keep dying out....
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:10:50 pm »

Anyway to make the civs last all 10000 years? The furthest I got was year 4758 before I stopped it because it had maybe 100 living people left, anyway to boost the numbers?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a 10000 year map, civs keep dying out....
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:36:54 pm »

That's...  interesting.  Try setting the generation of that one to STOP at year 4758, then check legends mode to see if you can find it why everyone's dying.

ragnaroki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:44:17 pm »

why u wanna do that anyway?

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:54:08 pm »

Starting out on a dead civs site with a 10+ z-level tower with a full fort already made lets me focus on making over elaborate traps. And the legends can be cool as hell to read. I just want enough stuff alive so they can siege my fort.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:15:57 pm »

Make it so that you cant cut down trees  or divert rivers or streams and the world will last longer.

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 10:48:06 pm »

That helped alot. How long do gabbos and elfs live? I got some that have been around for year one and are still alive in year 10,000. And some of the elf women are hardcore killers. I got some that killed all the megabeasts except 2 demons. And they have around 60 kills each. And yes, the elfs are the most predominant race even tho all of them are here, they damn near killed all the humans and dwarfs.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:49:26 pm »

How long do gabbos and elfs live?

They're both immortal, which can cause problems for the survival of other races.  Good thing that elves are idiots.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 11:20:17 pm »

That will be tricky to do.  Since no method of creating or splitting civs is in yet, the numbers can only decrease. 

Aparently combat is calculated as a series of 1v1 duels.  Just like in fortress mode, someone that survives some combat and gains a little skill gets exponentially powerful.  At the same time the loosing side just ends up pitching recroots at the winners and feeding them more experience, without having anyone that lives long enough to take on a champ and sometimes without anyone living long enough to reproduce.

I would say reduce the maxage of all creatures (elfs and gobs esp.) so they don't have time to become unstoppable killing machines.  Also increase birth rate to compensate and decrease child time to reduce the % of the population that doesn't really fight back.  Also, increasing the overall populations might make individual champions or random combat rolls less important, but it might just provide more helpless conscripts for the winning side to power level on. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:26:32 pm by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:24 pm »

And how would one go about that?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 09:59:54 am »

max age will not stop Legends war gods i.e. Tholtig Cryptbrain the Waning Diamonds

edit the max numbers that a enity can have to boost numbers 
note this will make them expaned there lands as thay build more towns.
up the number of civ at world gen can help

set elves a max age,gobs die a lot more by:muders, baby snatching,stealing stuff and wars.

you do all the changes bar number of civ made in world gen by moding the raws, make a copy first.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 02:04:05 pm »

dwarves, elves and humans won't build in evil biomes.

reducing the sizes of evil biomes etc in worldgen will help them to spread out
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 04:53:05 pm »

I think instead of generating the results of battles by 1v1 duels, instead it should generate it by a variable number on both sides of the battle, determined by a small degree of randomness and the scale of the battle.

So in an all-out war of dwarves vs elves, a battle on a fairly uninfluential dwarven settlement could be something like 43 dwarves vs 39 elves.

This would in effect reduce the number of champions in the legends, because many of them would die from being beset my multiple enemies before being able to grow strong enough. However, it's still quite possible that any ranged folks would become champs more easily than the melee.