Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 230377 times)

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: What demon lord sends babies to fight me?! [Turn 75]
« Reply #1620 on: December 15, 2010, 06:05:15 pm »

I'm a starter! I'd point out that I haven't been targeted by an attack for a looonnggg time, but then RNG would notice and it would ruin my luck streak.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: December 15, 2010, 06:22:59 pm »

Everyone except me, Tarran, and Demonster's new incarnation was a starter. ExKirby died but wasn't replaced, Dermonster was replaced by Sirdiesalot, and then he, Chedd, and Dragnar bit it, opening the way for us noobs. Nirur, Kin, Kilakan, Virroken, and Acanthus have all been here since the very earliest days of spear-shattering, wall-toppling, healing-mishap glory.

Kilakan's probably been attacked the most and still lived, followed by Nirur. I think.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: December 15, 2010, 08:57:16 pm »

I think it has something to do with my lack of armor, and the fact I enjoy using knives.... ha.  Though I've definitely survived the most damage at one time, being stomped by a 50 foot high man made of metal is well.... shattering.  Hum I also noticed I am the only one of the starters who has no offensive magic what-so-ever, I mean I've got invocations but those have yet to really do much other then save my life via miracle, nd alchemy but I've yet to get an offensive potion to work properly........ damn now I miss my gelatin, gotta regrow the hungry little bastard sometime.
Nom nom nom

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: December 15, 2010, 10:01:42 pm »

Regrow as in make a new one or try to bleed him out of your veins?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: December 15, 2010, 10:17:11 pm »

I wonder what would happen if you tried to command your gelatin while it's inside your body...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: December 19, 2010, 01:34:18 pm »

I hate to ask more questions, but I thought of some.

Could you go into more detail on how necromancy and souls work? What qualities of a creature are influenced or determined by qualities of the creature's soul? Would there be any Necromancy analogues to, say, using Vitamancy to grow additional arms or increase regeneration?

Alchemy. Obviously the ingredients affect the outcome, but what determines the effects of the ingredients? Is there any way to predict or direct certain outcomes, such as using a sharp-thorned plant to make a weapon-sharpening brew, or sweet plants tending to make healing effects? Does the effects of certain ingredients in certain potions imply anything about the ingredients, or just the combination?
   For instance, does the fact that Acid is produced from Sharproot and Salt imply that a third acid-aligned ingredient could be used in place of the other two, or that either could be used for other acid-related things, or that an ingredient (or several ingredients) from, say, Firedraught could be combined with them to make acid-fire stuff, or is it not that simple?
It seems I missed this.

Anyway, the body and soul are two separate, distinct entities, yet they aren't very powerful separate from each other - sort of a 'the whole is more than the sum of it's parts' thing. Modifying someone's body probably wouldn't have much, if any affect on their soul, but we're not dealing with absolutes here. Grafting a few extra limbs onto somebody would have a much lesser effect than trying to turn somebody into a construct or transform them into a different creature. Doing any major corporal changes would be a rather difficult operation though, so it would be a good idea to make sure you know what you're doing.

I think it has something to do with my lack of armor, and the fact I enjoy using knives.... ha.  Though I've definitely survived the most damage at one time, being stomped by a 50 foot high man made of metal is well.... shattering.  Hum I also noticed I am the only one of the starters who has no offensive magic what-so-ever, I mean I've got invocations but those have yet to really do much other then save my life via miracle, nd alchemy but I've yet to get an offensive potion to work properly........ damn now I miss my gelatin, gotta regrow the hungry little bastard sometime.
Yeah... You have a lot of damage potential, certainly, but you're still a scrawny little human. Since I discarded the attributes system from the first Arcanum Octet, you have no toughness score to speak of, which means you need to resort to magical means if you want to increase your hitpoints(armor reduces the damage you take from individual attacks, but doesn't affect HP in any way. ).

Turn should be up soon.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: In Memory Of The Fallen [Turn 76]
« Reply #1626 on: December 19, 2010, 02:13:22 pm »

Cast chill before everyone acts.

You work on making a simple chill, (4+4) Easily casting the spell which floods the room. (Luck 4) You control the spell so it only negatively affects the demons.

+1 to Elementalism

Sublimation. Sublimations everywhere. Where everywhere equals demons.

You decide that it is time for some mayhem, and go to town on the nearest demon. (2+2) Empowering your attack with it's own energy, you swing your axe at the wounded hunter, (RTD 2) which fails to dodge as your axe cleaves it in two.

+2 to Axes
+2 to Demonology

Get up and walk in the opposite direction I last saw the morningstar demon at until I get out of the darkness sphere.
You stand up, and turn around (2) and promptly lose and sense of direction. You spin around several more times and pick a direction you think is leading away from the demon. (Luck 2) Instead you walk right into it.

Retrieve Di'ako, then apply myou's grace to my wounds, using my superior knowledge of alchemy to create a simplified healing/anti-poison.
You grab Di'Ako and then create a quick poultice to try and expunge the poison from your wounds. (6+1) You expertly treat said wounds, and remove the poison from your system.

+1 to Alchemy
+2 to Medicine

Eh, we didn't need his XP anyway.

I cast Regeneration on Marcus.
Two skeletons continue their duels.
The third skeleton guards Aarchan.
The third skeleton engages an unharmed hunter.

Worried for your catatonic companion, (5+1) You cast a powerful healing spell on him. (Luck 2) The spell seems to have little effect, unfortunately. 

+2 to Healing

Your skeletons continue fighting, (5)(1) one delivering a powerful blow while the other fumbles expertly. (RTD 5)(RTD 3) The demons both block the attacks.

Your other skeleton moves to engage a hunter, (6) delivering a powerful overhead strike. (RTD 1) The hunter is caught off-guard, and takes significant damage.

I don't think you added my metamagic exp.

Turquoise sounds awesome if we could apply it to enemies. Of course, it might not be nearly as potent then.

Anyway, this is going better than expected. Attempt to levitate myself above the battle. Exit sphere if that fails but I still have time to act.
Sticking to your age-old theory that there is no better place to test experimental magic than in the heat of battle, you try to levitate. (6+2) Instead of flying, you reduce your weight to be lighter than air. (Luck 6) This proves to be remarkably effective at floating, but gives you little to no maneuverability. You hit your head on the ceiling, and stay there.

+4 to Metamagic
Mass Reduction

The demons which were guarding the mage try to escape as well. (4)(4)(4)(4)(1) Four of them escape through the portal, but the other can't break away from his battle with Nirur's skeleton.

The hunters also attempt to flee, (5)(2) with one leaping through the portal. The other is too wounded to escape, however.

The demon shocktrooper, unaware of what is going on outside of the darkness, strikes at Tarran. (3) He finds it difficult to fight in the darkness, (RTD 1) but Tarran finds it even harder to dodge. He gets hit by the morningstar and is slain.

Hmm, I just thought of something. Since we are still in the obsidian room I'm going to asume that my Spire with the Rune of Channeling is still there. I will therefore chane my action a bit.

Carve a Rune of Channeling on the floor and see if I can channel this slowness to the Spire of Channeling, making those demons who just happened to stand on the appearing line sluggish.
See if Earth Spirit can fire off a Stone or Spire incase any demon aims for the sluggish one.

You work on carving a rune of channeling on the floor, (5+3) sparing no detail when working on it. This leaves you with no time to try and do anything else.

Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virroken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aarchan(Kilakan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kin(KineseN) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marcus(Acanthus117) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Davar(IronyOwl) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: December 19, 2010, 02:15:06 pm »

That was... unexpected. I didn't realize how close Tarran was to death already... I was like "Lets see... he rolls X to hit... does Y damage... wait- Tarran only has Z HP? Huh. Well that can't be good."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: December 19, 2010, 02:20:20 pm »

Grab Tarran's soul before it dissipates and infuse it into my axe.

If that don't work, kill the demons.

In the OP it says that Fel-magic is the art of using peoples souls as a power source.

GUESS WHAT.

Also someone might want to get his healers handbook. Free skills right thar.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:56:38 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: December 19, 2010, 02:29:22 pm »

Grab Tarran's soul before it dissipates and infuse it into my axe.

In the OP it says that Fel-magic is the art of using peoples souls as a power source.

GUESS WHAT.

Also someone might want to get his healers handbook. Free skills right thar.
Stop that! We can revive him!

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: December 19, 2010, 02:34:47 pm »

NEVER.

... wait what? I thought there was no resurrecting here? You weren't able to when I died the first time, I'm fairly sure you didn't ressurect anybody before (Kinda sketchy on details between my first char and this one), RNG just said I would be semi-conscious and not really helpful at all.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 02:37:33 pm by dermonster »
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #1631 on: December 19, 2010, 02:37:33 pm »

"Doooooooonnnnnn't... fleeeeeeeeee..."

Activate the channeling of Turquoise force.
Stone Spirit heals Davar.

Man, I did not notice that Tarran had such low health that he could get killed. If I knew it I would let Stone Spirit heal Tarran instead of protecting me.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: December 19, 2010, 02:39:55 pm »

Pray over my fallen comrade and summon the holy power of Mandantum to resurrect my companion so he may continue the fight against evil, sacrifice the quasit's corpse as an offering.  DO THIS BEFORE ANYONE CAN AFFECT HIM other then Nirur, since keeping the soul here might help.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:13:01 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Arcanum Octet II: In Memory Of The Fallen [Turn 76]
« Reply #1633 on: December 19, 2010, 02:56:15 pm »

NEVER.

... wait what? I thought there was no resurrecting here? You weren't able to when I died the first time, I'm fairly sure you didn't ressurect anybody before (Kinda sketchy on details between my first char and this one), RNG just said I would be semi-conscious and not really helpful at all.
We couldn't resurrect people earlier because no one knew how. So I started turning dead teammate's souls into undead! Now you probably have the skill, assuming the soul hasn't been destroyed already.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: December 19, 2010, 02:59:10 pm »

*Wonders how to twist this in a way that he gets an epic soul axe.*

Other people want to have a turn too!

Also I am a selfish bastard so meh.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 120