Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 230964 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Intense Combat [Turn 59]
« Reply #1215 on: October 06, 2010, 05:16:08 pm »

HAHA! My buffing worked perfectly! Though I sort of assumed it'd use necromancy, but whatever works!

Attempt to enslave the immobilized demon. At least one of necromancy or metamagic should work for that, right?

Wussed out! Change of plans!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:17:08 am by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: October 06, 2010, 05:20:06 pm »

KILL THE DEMON THAT IRONYOWL IS NOT ATTACKING BROSKI
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: October 06, 2010, 05:44:36 pm »

I propose a new turn type: Travel turns. During travel turns, we'd be able to do slightly larger tasks, and without the chance of a critical success or failure (More time to concentrate, without having to worry about that rather hungry looking monster). This would make it easier for healers to provide their critical services between battles, lowering our mortality rate, let people create new spells in relative safety and without slowing the game down, or trade magical knowledge with each other.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: October 06, 2010, 05:55:56 pm »

I suspect RNG would consider creating new spells in relative safety a bad thing.

I do want to harvest these demons and then do stuff with the parts though, so I can't complain with the concept. On a related note, do we really need the portal closed before anything's even come through it? :D
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: October 06, 2010, 06:25:19 pm »

I think I can summon most small, inanimate objects just fine, if you need something in particular. Otherwise: Yes, yes the portal must be closed before it spawns more xp for us.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: October 06, 2010, 07:42:08 pm »

well I'm attempting to make a void-portal crystal from the portal itself, thus closing it, this should be fun.
Nom nom nom

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: October 06, 2010, 08:14:47 pm »

HAHA! My buffing worked perfectly! Though I sort of assumed it'd use necromancy, but whatever works!

Attempt to enslave the immobilized demon. At least one of necromancy or metamagic should work for that, right?

Enslave as in control, correct?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 06, 2010, 08:53:41 pm »

Sublimate the hunter. Unless that's a passive effect, in which case, Cleave!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 06, 2010, 09:03:44 pm »

Correct.

I think I can summon most small, inanimate objects just fine, if you need something in particular. Otherwise: Yes, yes the portal must be closed before it spawns more xp for us.
That could be convenient. I could also try it myself, penalties be damned, but I'm looking for more exotic components for the bulk of what I'm plotting.

So: :(, but I might want you to summon me some iron or something.

Also RNG: Since demons are souls, how do various schools of magic work with regards to attempting to affect their bodies, and does this change with whether they're "alive" or dead?

EDIT: Also, about how large are the hunters? Is the assassin the same size?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:19:22 pm by IronyOwl »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 06, 2010, 09:41:17 pm »

I propose a new turn type: Travel turns. During travel turns, we'd be able to do slightly larger tasks, and without the chance of a critical success or failure (More time to concentrate, without having to worry about that rather hungry looking monster). This would make it easier for healers to provide their critical services between battles, lowering our mortality rate, let people create new spells in relative safety and without slowing the game down, or trade magical knowledge with each other.

Hmm... seems interesting. Not sure if I want to allow people to practice skills, but reading books or devising new spells could work.

Correct.

That could be convenient. I could also try it myself, penalties be damned, but I'm looking for more exotic components for the bulk of what I'm plotting.

So: :(, but I might want you to summon me some iron or something.

Also RNG: Since demons are souls, how do various schools of magic work with regards to attempting to affect their bodies, and does this change with whether they're "alive" or dead?

EDIT: Also, about how large are the hunters? Is the assassin the same size?

Demons don't have souls, they ARE souls. Twisted, dark corrupted souls taken on a physical manifestation, but souls nonetheless.

Using necromancy on demon souls is possible, but may have some rather... interesting side-effects.
Demons are not alive. Vitamancy does not work on them.
The demons stand about 5 feet tall, when crouched. Fully extended, about 8 11 feet. Assassin is the same size as the hunters.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 01:43:04 am by RandomNumberGenerator »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: October 06, 2010, 09:46:52 pm »

I'd tell you not to do it, but I want to see what happens. Do note that Lifetapping them has similar results to Lifetapping undead, and that Shadowtouch (Or was it weakness?) doesn't do much against them.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 06, 2010, 11:53:07 pm »

I'd tell you not to do it, but I want to see what happens. Do note that Lifetapping them has similar results to Lifetapping undead, and that Shadowtouch (Or was it weakness?) doesn't do much against them.
What, attempt to keep one as a pet? If Control Undead works, Shackle Mind or Control Demon can't be that far out, though I admit the consequences for failure could be... a bit more severe than normal. I guess that makes an immobilized cripple a particularly good target.

If you're worried about making things from their bodies... well, I'm worried about that too, but I also figure items made from demon parts would be more powerful than those made from mundane materials, at least for what I'm going for. I originally intended to make a shield out of some carapace, but am reconsidering seeing as it likely won't be any better than a mundane one and I'd need to summon some leather for the straps. My other two schemes are still very go.

On that note, does slaying demons destroy their soul, release it, or neither? If I wanted to make a wraith from a demon soul, for instance (FUN! I know) would I target a live demon or a dead one?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 07, 2010, 12:00:54 am »

I am not authorized to release information pertaining to that subject.

In other words, try it and find out.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: October 07, 2010, 12:04:36 am »

Damn! Oh well, this will work out on 2 out of 3 options.

EDIT: I am now contemplating the consequences of "Keep one alive in case a dead one won't suffice!" I'm not going to, but I'm acting quite the necromancer already. :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:07:48 am by IronyOwl »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: October 07, 2010, 11:54:54 pm »

Heh, finally got around to reading Arcanum Octet I. I've now got even more ideas than before...

Also I want to learn Life magic but it scares me.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 120