Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 231011 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Crotety old men are very generous, if rude. [Turn 55]
« Reply #1140 on: September 15, 2010, 01:25:38 pm »

There are other islands, but the as far as the game is concerned you will never visit them. You can come from one of those islands if you want to though.

Wake up
Your body begins to recover from the ordeal it has been through (4) and you wake up.

((Do we intend to fight him if he wishes only to be left alone?))

I politely greet the wizard, state that we wish to save humanity from extinction, and ask if he is willing to provide any insight and advice.
You approach the archmage and greet him. (3) "Umm... Hi. So, er... you're the one who summoned the demons? Well, funny thing that, cause you see, we kinda want to get rid of them, maybe... unless that offends you?" (Luck 4) The archmage sighs. "Does humanity's hopes really ride on you and your ragtag band here? Geez... I was right to leave them when I did. Anyway, yes. I did summon the demons; I needed them at the time. I don't need them anymore, as they have fulfilled their purpose. You're free to try and get rid of them if you think you can accomplish it. What do you know about them, anyway?"
"Uhh... nothing, really."
"... Okay, then. I guess I'll start at the beginning. There are seven demon lords who reign in hell; three of them have passed through the gate into this world. To close the gate, you need to defeat these three lords and take the talismans they bear; only these have the power to sever the gate's connection. I would suggest attacking Moloch the Eternal Guardian first. He has the most power physically, but is extremely slow. If you can keep your distance, you have the best chance of surviving against him. If worst comes to worst, you can always run away. The problem with him is his armor; it is almost impenetrable. You will probably need to find some magical way to break or bypass his armor if you want to kill him. He has made his lair somewhere in these mountains. The other two, Torillerb, the Lord of Balors and Hastur, the Eldritch King are much more dangerous. Torillerb has a brutal sword and is extremely skilled with fire magic, and generally fights in a frenzy. Your best shot against him would be to find some way to protect you from his fire, then strike when he lets his defenses down. Hastur... honestly, even I'm not sure of the extent of Hastur's abilities. He can drive most men insane just by looking at them, so you will need to find some sort of mental fortitude to even last a second. He also has a wide variety of enfeebling spells that can bog you down. He makes his home somewhere in the Lost Shoals."

"Now then... I spent way more time talking to you than I should have. I'm busy. Go away."

Wow, who would have thought that I would get lucky and get it work the second time.

Look around the room, see if I can find something (anything) brimming with magical energy and approach it. Touch it. Stone Spirit (because I see no loyal to Kin anymore under Svadi) attempt to heal Aarchan.
You examine all of the myriad objects in the room. (6) You notice a dagger sitting on a display stand that emanates overwhelming earthen energy. (Luck 6) You touch it, and a flood of arcane magic rushes at you, which sends you sprawling backwards, where you crash into a table.

"Damnit, watch what the hell you're doing!" the old mage yells at you.

hummmmmmmmmm.

Walk around the room observing the apparatus and if I see anything alchemitical based, attempt to discuss it with the man in hopes of gaining his trust.

You see several alchemical apparatus lying around. (1) You try talking to the mage about them, but he just yells at you to leave him alone. (Luck 5) Luckily he doesn't seem to be too mad... yet.

Ask wizard if he has anything magically useful that he doesn't particularly want anymore. We will clean and do chores for him in return. Also, careful not to touch anything that might go bang. Or boom.

You ask the wizard if he has anything he might give away. (5) The wizard slams his hands on his desk and yells. "I told you bumbling idiots to leave me the hell alone! I don't have time for you! You want something? Fine!" (Luck 3) "I'll give each of you one thing, of your choosing. You can ask me for anything; knowledge, magic items, spellbooks, whatever. Just promise me after you get them that you'll leave this tower and never come back!"
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: September 15, 2010, 01:45:46 pm »

I ask for a book on demonology, so that I may learn to either purify them, exorcise them, or just banish them. I'll then thank him for his help, agreeing to never bother him again, and leave the tower.

Let's go make a quick trip to the refugee camp to pick up some new PCs and tell the people about our new findings, and then leave to fight Moloch. I believe he's even on our map.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #1142 on: September 15, 2010, 04:27:10 pm »

Ohh! Ohhh! Ohhhh! The dagger, I must have that dagger!

Ask for the dagger and a way to limit the power temporary so that I can wield it until I need to unleash all its energy. Politely.

Also, could it be that this is the rumored dagger of Arcanum Octet I?

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 15, 2010, 04:47:05 pm »

Probably. You might want to try and get that soul out of there...
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 15, 2010, 05:18:08 pm »

Marcus would like a spellbook on enchantment, focusing on using existing spells in one's repertoire to make equipment awesome-er! He also says he won't bother the W.O.M for as long as he lives.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:13:51 pm by Acanthus117 »
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: September 15, 2010, 07:23:05 pm »

Probably. You might want to try and get that soul out of there...
I have the feeling that after all this time, he will have adapted to his new "body", like the geas-blade Need. He supposedly had earth magic and earth immortality, and his first priority was gaining power over himself and insuring the necromancers couldn't mess with him. Perhaps he succeeded. Perhaps he succeeded well enough that wielding him will have the same effect Need has, and you wont be quite under your own control.
 There's also the fact that he is semi-aware this is an RTD, and might not want to chance getting removed.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 15, 2010, 08:20:10 pm »

Marcus would like a spellbook on enchantment, focusing on using existing spells in one's repertoire to make equipment awesome-er! He also says he won't bother the W.O.M for as long as he lives.

There is no enchantment magic. There is Runecrafting, which is the typical way to imbue items with magical properties, and Necromancy which can bind souls to items to power magical effects. Then there is the weird thing you managed to do with imbuing force into your sword, which is some weird effect that you only managed to do because you got really good rolls, but that was more of a one-time thing and not really a magic school.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 15, 2010, 08:23:49 pm »

Awww.

Then I'll just ask for a Tome of Scholarly Magic (the kind I'm skilled at).
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 16, 2010, 12:06:15 am »

+20 flaming sword of kill-everything, please.
Set of gear with runes of warding all over it.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 16, 2010, 12:36:21 am »

+20 flaming sword of kill-everything, please.
Set of gear with runes of warding all over it.

Runes of warding don't stack.

Just FYI.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 16, 2010, 12:49:47 am »

Just FYI.

[   ]  :)
[ x ]  :(

I guess I'll rune up my own stuff.

Moar ice knowledge, I guess.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:22 am »

Just FYI.

[   ]  :)
[ x ]  :(

If they did stack, you could get something like +10 RTD from a single, low-level rune spell. That's why I made the rune instead give a "Warding" effect that applies weather you're standing in one or are wearing something with it engraved, and the warding effect gives +1 RTD.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 16, 2010, 10:27:26 am »

I shall ask for a suit of armor that can slowly administer potions to the wearer, amplifying their effects and prolonging the usage, while also being armor.

If any of you can tame the dagger's power, I'll use the hadeshorn brew on it, it may be the only way we can defeat moloch.
Nom nom nom

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 16, 2010, 10:57:35 am »

I shall ask for a suit of armor that can slowly administer potions to the wearer, amplifying their effects and prolonging the usage, while also being armor.
...you want a magic version of power armor, pumping magic steroids into you constantly... Awesome!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 16, 2010, 11:07:09 am »

ya, and I'm thinking I could butcher moloch if we kill him and make a shield of his hide, attach to armor and become the tank we so desperately need.
Nom nom nom
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 120