Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 231074 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: That went suprisingly well! [Turn 48]
« Reply #1035 on: August 24, 2010, 05:29:20 pm »

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you would like me to portray your character in a certain way, best to speak up now. So far I've only introduced Nirur as kind yet cynical and Aarchan as a young apprentice.
My character's mentality can be summed up in two words: For MAGIC!!!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: August 24, 2010, 05:44:28 pm »

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you would like me to portray your character in a certain way, best to speak up now. So far I've only introduced Nirur as kind yet cynical and Aarchan as a young apprentice.
My character's mentality can be summed up in two words: For MAGIC!!!

The xkcd flowchart you provided also seems pretty accurate.

ZAP! Hm, wonder if it would give me even MORE cloven hooves?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 24, 2010, 05:50:58 pm »

And god dammit I want more story. Why did you start off with only a little tidbit? I have that feeling you get when you look forward to something and you hate it when whatever the thing the author does next isn't the next part of the thing your looking forward to and you want to strangle someone.

I started off with that little tidbit because that was all I had written. I was going to wait until I at least finished chapter 1 to post the next part, but here is the rest of what I have so far.

Spoiler: Chapter 1 (click to show/hide)

I'm probably not going to post the whole thing on here, because that would take up a lot of space and if I do end up completing this one, I would rather like to get it published, and publishers don't like spending money publishing something that is 100% free online. I can post excepts here and there, though.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 24, 2010, 06:08:31 pm »

Marcus focuses on projecting a tendril of force so he can move the stuff around him (think TK without the psychic powers).
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

sir diesalot

• Bay Watcher
  • WAIT IT'S A NINE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: August 25, 2010, 08:20:01 am »

I'd like Scintoth to come off as somewhat naive and foolhardy - how else would he get stuck in the mirror?
NOT THE BEES!

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 25, 2010, 08:48:41 am »

Freeze self for frost armor! YEEEE

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Why couldn't they just use a regular door? [Turn 49.1]
« Reply #1041 on: August 25, 2010, 07:34:20 pm »

Show GEE I mean no harm to it by doing nothing to it, and also heal myself. See also if GS still knows Earthen Heal from its previous life by healing itself, me, Marcus, Virroken and Nirur Torir, in that order.

Also almost forgot to say: Enter the Tower of Kicen. (Because I want the carriage to be there when we get back still struggling to get back on track.)

Before entering the tower, I meditate in an attempt to figure out exactly how to reunite my fallen companion's body and soul in such a way that he will regain control over himself.
If possible, I'll also contemplate the carriage that is no longer under anybody's control, and how long the wraith is likely to remain a part of this world.

Marcus focuses on projecting a tendril of force so he can move the stuff around him (think TK without the psychic powers).

Freeze self for frost armor! YEEEE
Need Kilakan, I believe, but here is a mini-update since you are now trying to enter the tower:

-----

The tower door appears to be made of an odd, light gray stone. It is impossible to move, yet there appears to be some sort of puzzle or lock on the door:

Below the puzzle is an inscription:

Those who gaze upon this portal may have been proven hardy and strong, yet a test of cunning and wit is needed for those who wish to continue on.
To open the door, you must correctly guess which of the six elements have been combined into this seal. Each element may have been used more than once, or not at all.
To place a bet, first touch each small circle, than one of the elemental seals. They will change color according to the element chosen.
When you are satisfied with your answer, hit the large circle. It shall change color to reflect your bet.
Each dark section infers that you have one of the correct elements in the correct location.
Each light section infers that you have one of the correct elements in the wrong location.
You may attempt as many times as you wish, yet take caution.
To ensure the lock is not solved through pure persistence, after 10 attempts the lock shall reset and you will be penalized.

-----

The puzzle is just like Mastermind, for those who are familiar with it.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 25, 2010, 08:27:01 pm »

Who's the best at Mastermind? I'm halfway-decent at it, maybe a 5/10.

I feel we should start with something like this, to get a basic feel for which elements are used in the lock:
1 - 1122
2 - 3344
3 - 5566

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 25, 2010, 08:57:31 pm »

Mastermind is a mathematical game. Meaning there is a single perfect strategy... I'm not sure if this is it, but it's close.

That will tell you the elements, then it only takes one or two guesses to get the locations right.

*returns to lurking*
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 25, 2010, 11:40:22 pm »

Mastermind is a mathematical game. Meaning there is a single perfect strategy... I'm not sure if this is it, but it's close.

That will tell you the elements, then it only takes one or two guesses to get the locations right.

*returns to lurking*

So, do we want to use our first 6 turns to do this? If so, should I post them all at once or one at a time?

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 25, 2010, 11:46:38 pm »

One at a time. No need to continue after 4 have been identified, and no matter what the 6666 one is unnecessary, since anything that didn't fall under the first five must be the last element.

Course, that's just my suggestion. I presumably have no vote seeing as I died... what, 45 turns ago?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 26, 2010, 12:01:49 am »

Well, you died 2 turns ago, but you went insane... around 10?I suppose that since someone alive needs to punch the guess into the puzzle thing so they would make the ultimate call, but what you posted is a pretty good strategy.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 26, 2010, 12:08:10 am »

One at a time.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 26, 2010, 12:17:11 am »

Well, you died 2 turns ago
*facepalm* Whoops. Mixed this up with your other RTD for a second there.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: August 26, 2010, 01:22:51 am »

Nirur's got the right idea. Look on Wikipedia for strategies. There's an algorithm which guarantees a win in 5 turns, and one that guarantees a win in 6 with an average of 4.3.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 120