Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 231086 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Yet Another Boss Monster [Turn 47]
« Reply #1020 on: August 23, 2010, 09:39:16 am »

Huh I tend to do better as a knife-wielding maniac, then I do as a crazed alchemist.
Switch the iron knife to my off-hand, draw the blessed copper knife in my main hand, and attack the Hellhound.

Attacking with both on the same turn? I'll allow it, with a -2 penalty to each.
no just with the main hand  I just want it out so I can throw it later if need be.

Edit* I'm gonna be gone for 4/5 days on a vacation, but i'll try and get on in a few days, if the battle continues next turn just have me attack the enemies.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:43:50 am by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: That went suprisingly well! [Turn 48]
« Reply #1021 on: August 24, 2010, 09:08:34 am »

Nooo!

Ignore the carriage.
Skeleton guards me.
New spell: Undeath Revival - Bind Cheddarius' soul to his body in an attempt to revive him as more then just a mindless thrall, hopefully under his own control. Sacrifice some of my own health for this if needed. If it is, I'll take one of Cheddarius' healing salves and use it on myself.

Utterly shocked by the death of your comrade, you completely forget about the carriage and rush to his side. (2+1) You try to create a form of intelligent undead so you can bring your companion and friend back in a way, but due to your inexperience with such a task you're very uncertain about how to do such a thing. (Luck 3) You attempt it anyway, and end up raising a zombie from his corpse. Ah well...

+1 to Necromancy

Isn't it more like my GEE took Cheddarius out (really sorry there Ched) rather than you, Dragnar? Or did you take down someone else I'm not accounting for?

Anyway, I calm GEE down by forcefully CONTROLLING it. GS will attack the last hound.

You try to regain control over the giant elemental, (4+3-3) leveraging your powerful earth magic against it. (Luck 4) It doesn't seem to care about your commands at all, but at the very least it has stopped killing people.

+3 to Elementalism
New Spell: Placate

Freeze elemental to ground.

NO MORE SUMMONING PLEASE GUYS.

Anyone else want Ched's staff? I'm taking it otherwise. Forget daggers. Passive damage bonus > badassery.

You try to subdue the golem (6+3) and create a large sphere of frost in your hands. (Luck 1) Unfortunately the sphere was a little too large, and it ended up exploding. (Resist 5) Oddly enough, you seem to be completely unaffected by the blast, despite that it was centered directly on you. Perhaps you developed some sort of resistance from having frozen yourself so many times? Either way, you then proceed to loot the zombie that Nirur created.

New Ability: Resist Cold

FORCE BOLT THE EVIL THING GUY MAN
Magic flows through your veins as you prepare to FORCE BOLT THE EVIL THING GUY MANs, (Luck 5) Yet you realize that you can't see any EVIL THING GUY MANS. The closest thing to an EVIL THING GUY MAN in the immediate area would be the reanimated Scintoth, but he appears to be on your side. Instead, you decide to blast the evil carriage. (4+2) You throw a powerful bolt at it, (RTD 1) Which the stunned carriage doesn't really notice, sending it flying end-over-end. The carriage sustains heavy damage and lands upside-down, in a position were it can't really do anything.

+3 to Metamagic

Huh I tend to do better as a knife-wielding maniac, then I do as a crazed alchemist.
Switch the iron knife to my off-hand, draw the blessed copper knife in my main hand, and attack the Hellhound with the blessed copper knife.

You grab your old copper knife and swap it out for your iron one, (3+4) Then preform some sort of crazy battle-dance pirouette-stab at the hound. (RTD 2) The wounded creature fails to dodge your attack, and your blessed knife burns right through the creature's tough hide. Celebrate, Hero, for the winner is you!

+4 to Daggers

The giant elemental sits around. (4) It seems rather complacent.

The animated carriage desperately tries to convert more squishy humans into bloody smears on rocks, but it finds that being upside-down, is in no position to do anything other than spin it's wheels.

Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virroken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aarchan(Kilakan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kin(KineseN) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marcus(Acanthus117) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Enemies (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Neutrals (click to show/hide)
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #1022 on: August 24, 2010, 09:35:36 am »

Bwahahaha! Man what an epic battle we fought. Truly a sight to behold. Losing three guys and several minions/summons and gaining almost nothing out of it. Still, it was fun.

Show GEE I mean no harm to it by doing nothing to it, and also heal myself. See also if GS still knows Earthen Heal from its previous life by healing itself, me, Marcus, Virroken and Nirur Torir, in that order.

Also almost forgot to say: Enter the Tower of Kicen. (Because I want the carriage to be there when we get back still struggling to get back on track.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:07:21 am by KineseN »

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 24, 2010, 10:41:32 am »

In other news, I have started writing up this RTD as a book.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
Re: Arcanum Octet II: The Book
« Reply #1024 on: August 24, 2010, 11:05:29 am »

Like your writing, very nice. Will you do something similar to Arcanum Octet I or will you only be doing the II?

Eagerly awaiting for you to introduce the protagonists (us).

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: August 24, 2010, 11:39:12 am »

Thanks! I've written a little before, but I tend to run out of ideas around chapter 5 or 6. I'm hoping that by having the turns in front of me, I will have a general direction to keep moving in when I start running out of steam. For that reason, I'm only thinking about writing AO II for now; it has a general plot, good layout, interesting setting, etc. AO I was more of a sandbox RTD, so there is less to write about.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 24, 2010, 11:57:25 am »

I cant wait to read how RNG narrates say, KinSen learning hammer shockwave, or Cheddarius's triple curative aura fail...rofl
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: August 24, 2010, 01:02:24 pm »

Make my Death more Epic than Canon... please.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 24, 2010, 01:15:22 pm »

Make my Death more Epic than Canon... please.

Sure. You died fighting the hellhounds, right?

At least that was better than ExKirby's death...

“I said shut up! Besides, there are worse things than getting slightly woozy at the sign of blood like... Erm... stupidity...”
Nirur said this as he watched a lone fighter charge out to meet the demon horde. The man was dressed in traditional dueling armor, wielding a slender sword and wearing a silly fedora hat with a large red feather.
   “Come and get me, demon scum!” the man yelled as the horde approached, howling with bloodlust. Then the horde was upon him.
   “In his defense, the man took down one... two... three demons before the horde completely overwhelmed him.” Aarchan mused.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 24, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »

I dislike dying of plague. Eventual aid would be greatly appreciated.

I like the story so far.
In other news, I have started writing up this RTD as a book.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's canon now. There is yet hope for you, Cheddarius!

Before entering the tower, I meditate in an attempt to figure out exactly how to reunite my fallen companion's body and soul in such a way that he will regain control over himself.
If possible, I'll also contemplate the carriage that is no longer under anybody's control, and how long the wraith is likely to remain a part of this world.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 24, 2010, 03:52:21 pm »

Didn't I confirm some time ago that necromancy bound souls in that way? Oh right, here it is, in the first post:

Death Magic – Unlike life magic which encompasses the body, this school utilizes magic of the soul. Those who practice this school bind the souls of the deceased to various object, imbuing them with powerful abilities. Due to the fact that most souls are obtained unwillingly, this school was often branded as evil in the past, but the desperation of the current age has led it to become more acceptable, especially compared to Fell Magic.

But yes, assuming Cheddarius' zombie lasts long enough for somebody to develop some kind of resurrection spell, you could then destroy the zombie and revive him. There is, of course, a chance that his time spent as a zombie will drive him completely and irrevocably mad, but yeah, he's not 100% dead. Neither is Kilakan's old character, who is still in that dagger somewhere... Still, having a soul in existence doesn't guarantee sentience, so Cheddarius is still out of the picture for now.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you would like me to portray your character in a certain way, best to speak up now. So far I've only introduced Nirur as kind yet cynical and Aarchan as a young apprentice.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:57:19 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 24, 2010, 03:54:47 pm »

So my zombification of all dead characters could have brought them back eventually? Huh. Too bad they got killed... wait, who did I make the carriage out of?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 24, 2010, 03:57:46 pm »

So my zombification of all dead characters could have brought them back eventually? Huh. Too bad they got killed... wait, who did I make the carriage out of?

ExKirby

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 24, 2010, 05:15:47 pm »

Didn't I confirm some time ago that necromancy bound souls in that way? Oh right, here it is, in the first post:
Oops. It's been a while since I read that, and I guess I thought for some reason that random souls were used or something, rather then it "preserving" bound souls.

Alright, I didn't think it through very well.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you would like me to portray your character in a certain way, best to speak up now. So far I've only introduced Nirur as kind yet cynical and Aarchan as a young apprentice.
That works for me.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 24, 2010, 05:19:47 pm »

My Character Has Aspergers.

And god dammit I want more story. Why did you start off with only a little tidbit? I have that feeling you get when you look forward to something and you hate it when whatever the thing the author does next isn't the next part of the thing your looking forward to and you want to strangle someone.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 120