Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 230831 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Umm... Guys? [Turn 42]
« Reply #915 on: August 09, 2010, 09:16:56 pm »

elemental... life.... summoning, you planning on building a construct?
I was planning on a construct powered by the souls of the damned from the start. And then enhanced with as many runes as possible.
Wanted result:Mini Necron monolith
Actual result: I am the demons. Oops.

Well if *I* were playing I'd keep all the souls of slain comrades around in some form or another. :P
I've been doing that. And now both they AND my soul are trying to kill everyone! Yay!
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 09, 2010, 09:50:56 pm »

Huh, I hadn't even thought of being a sculptor or tailor or something. What sorts of skills would an earth golem probably require?

Sculpting or Earth Magic to make the body, probably. Runecrafting to empower it, and either Summoning or Necromancy to activate it. Other ways are possible, for example Cheddarius' Flesh Golem was made with life magic, and you could possibly use Metamagic to enchant it instead of Runecrafting(I originally intended Runecrafting to be the only way to make magic items, but then Acanthus got some good rolls when imbuing those weapons with force.) The whole point of having multiple schools is to combine them to get different effects; I love it when my players develop new and unexpected ways to accomplish things that I never thought of, but still make sense logically. Of course, I still have to base the results on what the rolls give me; there have been several experimental spells that have been tried that I desperately wanted to see succeed, but got bad rolls and thus failed; there have also been attempts to do something really weird that I didn't like, but they got a 5 so I grudgingly let them do it.

As far as mundane skills like say, smithing or carving; they might not really be useful in combat, which may be why they have been neglected, but they do have their uses. For example, smithing can be used to make raw items to enchant, forge or repair weapons and armor, or even make golems if you find enough metal. Carving has similar uses, though bone weapons might be rather weak; despite that, bones and shells are more readily available than metal, for example. Magic can also help with crafting; certain types of magic could be used to strengthen and enhance bone and leather for example, or fire used to smelt large quantities or ore to use with smithing. In generally, if someone comes up with some interesting idea that makes me stop and think "Hey, that's cool!" they will get something really nice out of it. Unless they roll a 1, in which case they will blow themselves up.

/essay
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 10, 2010, 01:32:19 am »

Fine, I then FORCE BOLT THE ABOMINATION
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 10, 2010, 01:41:19 am »

Neat. I wouldn't want to play one, but a wandering battlesmith might be oddly viable.

You know, it's funny. I've always thought of Nirur as more of the role model necromancer, but it's looking like dragnar had some pretty similar plans to me. Hopefully I'll have more common sense than he did, but not so much that I don't start making eldritch abominations.

What's also funny is just how predictable this was in hindsight. He finds an evil book, reads it, grows hooves. He then reads it again, and his very blood is tainted. He then cages himself up with it, and proceeds to try to channel it into the cage he happens to be standing in.

Firmly in the "unexpected but not surprising" category if you ask me. :P
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 10, 2010, 02:00:55 am »

I'm not sure I have que for this yet, so if I have not, que me

when and if I do get in this is my plan

Major: Machinery
Minor: Runecrafting
Minor: Summoning (focused more on inanimate objects)

guess what im going to do
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #920 on: August 10, 2010, 03:15:27 am »

Hmm, Earth Magic, check. Runecrafting, check. Necromancy or Summoning, in progress.

Look guys. By RNG's definition it seems that I am close to turn into a golem creator. Are you hinting something, RNG?

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 10, 2010, 08:47:35 am »

Hmm, Earth Magic, check. Runecrafting, check. Necromancy or Summoning, in progress.

Look guys. By RNG's definition it seems that I am close to turn into a golem creator. Are you hinting something, RNG?

Actually, I wasn't even thinking about your skills when I wrote that post, though yeah, your skillset does fit it rather nicely.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 12, 2010, 10:44:38 am »

Cast an improved version of Remove Curse on Dragnar.
Order my golem to act as a bodyguard for the others.

Double-up holy word with ched's remove curse, while praying to the god of justice using the amulet.
Have the gelatin atch onto the zombie and devour the magic sustaining it.

Freeze evildragnar to the ground, letting my teammates uncurse him.

I cast weakness on not-Dragnar, while my skeleton attacks.

Alrighty then.

Using 5 of the vials of holy water that Aarchan has, I'll cast torrent against doom-dragnar.

Encase each of the twelve eyestalks with rock, making doom-Dragnar (good name there, rolls of the tongue really nicely) "blind". Stone Spirit heals me.

I say we run, but that's me.

Fine, I then FORCE BOLT THE ABOMINATION

Confirming Actions

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #923 on: August 12, 2010, 11:38:36 am »

Right.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 12, 2010, 12:48:54 pm »

yup
Nom nom nom

sir diesalot

• Bay Watcher
  • WAIT IT'S A NINE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: August 12, 2010, 04:38:42 pm »

Yep.
NOT THE BEES!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 12, 2010, 04:46:58 pm »

It makes me sad that you ask for confirmation instead of updating. :(
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 12, 2010, 04:53:47 pm »

It makes me sad that you ask for confirmation instead of updating. :(
I would normally just update, but there has been 3 pages of text since the last update and several action changes, and I want to make sure I got the right actions.

I guess in the future I could just update with whatever actions I happen to find...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 12, 2010, 04:56:25 pm »

Serves em right for not bolding and strikeouting, if you ask me. :D

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 12, 2010, 05:03:54 pm »

Serves em right for not bolding and strikeouting, if you ask me. :D
I agree.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 120