Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 230580 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Under Pressure [Turn 34]
« Reply #735 on: July 19, 2010, 02:06:50 am »

Okay, try and improve the spell by making the summoned stick fly at an opponent really fast-like.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: July 19, 2010, 07:30:12 am »

Attempt to find the gelatine, calling it ect, if I can't find it.... get on the carriage.  If I can find it, both of us get on the carrier.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 07:41:12 am by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 19, 2010, 07:32:35 am »

In addition to what I just did (Only if it's possible for me to, I mean), I'd like to switch out my silvery scimitar for another force dagger.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: That's It? [Turn 35]
« Reply #738 on: July 21, 2010, 09:14:49 am »

Going south to Duplicity and from there to Almar's Keep seems like the best way. And I'm so on that BattleCarriage.
Sounds good to me.

I draw a rune of power under anyone trying to work healing magic, then use Cheddarius's scroll of bless on the evil book of evil.
You decide to help the healers by empowering them. (2+2) Deciding haphazardly carving runes into the carriage floor is a bad idea, (Luck 5) you borrow Virroken's chalk and quickly make a temporary rune under the healers. With this done, you start trying to bless your evil book of evil. (Luck 5) You finish reading the scroll and stare in amazement as the book is bathed in holy golden fire... which is slowly converted into regular-looking fire, then into black, wicked-looking fire, which then dies off. Apparently you need stronger magic to overcome the book... Perhaps you should read those papers you looted with it?

+3 to Runecrafting

Begin healing Svadi and continue on to those less damaged. Stone Spirit helps with this too.

By the way, would a [5][Luck 5] Compression Bomb still hurt me if I'm too close when it goes off?
You begin healing Svadi, (6+3) sending copious amounts of earth energy into him (Luck 4+1) which heals his wounds and returns some of his life force.

+4 to Elementalism

Thinking about your compression bomb, you determine that if you were able to keep the bomb under control you could release it so the shards fly away from you in a cone, rather than of in all directions.

Avoid Duplicity. Remember the hint we got that we should move on? Well, it's probably occupied again. I vote we take option B.

I try to learn how to use my own life energy to empower my spells, if needed.
My skeletons will help pull the carriage.
My talking skeleton is not to sing.

You continue tinkering with the fundamentals of your necromantic spells. (3+2) You find that while human blood doesn't act as a repository for power in the same way a soul does, (Luck 5) it's close affinity with the soul would let you use it as a conduit to empower your spells.

+2 to Necromancy
New Ability: Blood Sacrifice

I vote for path B as well.
I cast Healing Aura.
My golem practices with his voulge.

You begin trying to heal everyone in the area, (1+1) but even with the effects of the rune of power it seems very weak. (Luck 3+1) you heal a very small amount of damage.

+1 to Healing

Voting for option B. Didn't we ransack duplicity already?

Hop on battle carraige. Ready frozen bursts for protection.
You try to create more ice spheres, (3+3) summoning 2 large crystalline spheres. (Luck 5) They remain in perfect stasis, waiting for your magic to control them.

+4 to Elementalism

(+2 stillness skill, could be useful for being a statue :P)

I vote path B.
I'll hop on the DOOMWAGON (No toe stubbing please) and think up a way to empower my spring spell, like making a geyser spell or something along those lines, but I won't practice it because I could explode myself.

You try to think of ways to improve your spellcasting. (3+2) You think that by applying significant etheral pressure to a spring spell, you could make it into an offensive attack. (Luck 6) You estimate such a spell could possibly knock someone prone, or at least stagger them, though unless they are made of fire it might not do a lot of damage.

+2 to Elementalism
New Spell: Torrent

Okay, try and improve the spell by making the summoned stick fly at an opponent really fast-like.
You try to make the stick fly at a target. (5+2) You force the stick to fly forward, (Luck 4) which then hits the ground with a powerful thud and dissapates.

+0 to Metamagic
New Spell: Force Bol- oh wait...

Attempt to find the gelatine, calling it ect, if I can't find it.... get on the carriage.  If I can find it, both of us get on the carrier.
You search for your gelatine, (5) and remembering exactly were it was, try to reach down and pick it up. (Luck 6) You succeed. You are now holding your invisible gelatine in your hand.

Cheddarius' golem tries to practice witht he volgue. (1) With a wide swing, he takes the entire top half of the carriage off. He determines that swinging the voluge around in the carriage is a bad idea.

---
The carriage travels along route, bouncing and jittering but otherwise keeping the 20 occupants safe. Several hours into the journey, the carriage is ambushed by... A lone imp.
---

The imp decides that fighting 20 people off by itself is a bad idea, and tries to summon help. (3+1) It succeeds with it's spell, (Luck 2) and summons... another imp to help.
---

Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virroken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aarchan(Kilakan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kin(KineseN) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragnar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marcus(Acanthus117) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cheddarius (click to show/hide)

Wow. I am completely underwhelmed by that random encounter here.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 21, 2010, 09:19:01 am »

ATTACK IMP WITH BOTH WEAPONS

Damn, you saw through my ruse!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:23:43 am by Acanthus117 »
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 21, 2010, 09:22:34 am »

I determine whether or not imps have souls by trying to steal an imp's soul and stuffing it into a rock, for safe keeping.
My skeletons will each attack an imp.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 21, 2010, 09:32:23 am »

I read through the papers I gathered along with the book. If I have time I then summon a Quasit to finish off the imps.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

KineseN

• Bay Watcher
  • [Forumlurker]
    • View Profile
    • Rushvalley Tower Defence
« Reply #742 on: July 21, 2010, 10:25:53 am »

Double Spire the imps or see if I can improve the DoomWagon with some menacing earth spikes should the imps be done with. Stone Spirit will heal Cheddarius.

And I really love the RNG.

Interactive signature (experimental). Refresh page to update image.

sir diesalot

• Bay Watcher
  • WAIT IT'S A NINE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 21, 2010, 11:20:36 am »

I'll try to improve my understanding of base elementalism, remembering that the elements all move fluidly like water.
NOT THE BEES!

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 21, 2010, 11:44:15 am »

Ah frig! Sorry for killing the carriage! Stupid golem.
Go before all the melee classes. Cast Dance of Blades, leaving the carriage and moving if necessary to get as many of the best people in range as possible.
Command the Golem to attack the imps.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:54 pm »

Talk to the gelatin, and see if I can make it become invisible, and visible via commands.  If there's time, throw it at one of the imps, and command it to eat.
Nom nom nom

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 21, 2010, 08:52:55 pm »

Yeah. I used two d100 rolls: one to determine the attack, and one to determine the enemies. It went like this:

Attack Roll:
0-30 = No Encounter, 31=70 = Standard Encounter(Players attack first) 71-100 = Ambush(Enemies attack first).

I rolled 91.

Monster Roll:

0-30 = Minor Threat(Like the Shadows), 31-70 = Average Threat(Ala Hellhounds), 71-100 = Huge Threat(Probably impossible to kill, you would have to run away on 80+)

I rolled a 3. Since Imps are the weakest demons, that was really all I could do.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 21, 2010, 09:14:21 pm »

Asplode ze bursts! Also, make cool explosion sound effects with my mouth as they go off.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: July 22, 2010, 01:13:51 pm »

You know, I actually feel very sorry for the enemy.
Nom nom nom

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Return to the Keep [Turn 36]
« Reply #749 on: July 22, 2010, 03:35:35 pm »

Ah frig! Sorry for killing the carriage! Stupid golem.
Go before all the melee classes. Cast Dance of Blades, leaving the carriage and moving if necessary to get as many of the best people in range as possible.
Command the Golem to attack the imps.
You step out of the convertable carriage and ready for battle. You being casting Dance of Blades (3+3) and expertly preform the incantation and gestures, (Luck 1) but forget to actually cast it on anybody.

ATTACK IMP WITH BOTH WEAPONS

Damn, you saw through my ruse!
You lunge at the imp with your daggers, (4)(1) (RTD 6)(RTD 2) but due to your lack of skill with them you fail to hit the imp.

I determine whether or not imps have souls by trying to steal an imp's soul and stuffing it into a rock, for safe keeping.
My skeletons will each attack an imp.

You wonder if imps have souls. (4+2) You reach out to it (Luck 4) and determine that rather than having a soul, demons ARE souls; corrupted, twisted souls but souls nonetheless. (4+2) You try to bind the imp into a rock, (Resist 5+2) but the rock can't seem to contain the imp's soul.

+3 to Necromancy

Double Spire the imps or see if I can improve the DoomWagon with some menacing earth spikes should the imps be done with. Stone Spirit will heal Cheddarius.

You try to attack the imps with two spires of earth, (5+1)(1+1) but can only manage to bring up one. (RTD 2) The imp is hit by the spire and heavily wounded.

+2 to Elementalism

Asplode ze bursts! Also, make cool explosion sound effects with my mouth as they go off.

You detonate the bursts, (4+3) sending shards of ice everywhere. (RTD 2)(RTD 5)(RTD 5)(RTD 2)(RTD 4)(RTD 6) The first imp is perforated by the shards, as is Marcus. Everyone else evades the icy blast.

+2 to Elementalism

I read through the papers I gathered along with the book. If I have time I then summon a Quasit to finish off the imps.
You begin paging through the papers. (Auto-Success) You find that it details a ritual concerning the book. Apparently the former lord of Duplicity had come across the book before the demons had invaded, and sought to destroy it. One of the excepts you read is " ...while reading the book grants the mage incredible knowledge and power, the price the book exacts on the user is far too great to allow this book to remain existing... "

There is also some correspondence between the lord and the city's priest. The priest seems to think that in order to destroy the book, it must first be purified. Ordinary blessing magic and holy water doesn't seem enough, so he recommended using such a blessing spell empowered by the arae flower before trying to use a remove curse spell on it.

Talk to the gelatin, and see if I can make it become invisible, and visible via commands.  If there's time, throw it at one of the imps, and command it to eat.
You attempt to communicate with the gelatin. (3) It does not seem to be able to communicate very well, but you determine that it can not turn invisible(or visible) at will. You throw it at one of the imps (6+1-1) The gelatin flies towards the imp, (RTD 4-1) who didn't see it coming, literally.  It smacks him head on and kills him.

+2 to Throwing.

I'll try to improve my understanding of base elementalism, remembering that the elements all move fluidly like water.
You forgot to bold. Please do so in the future.

You try to study Elementalism (3+2) and determine that the basis of maipulating the elements is, in fact, similar. (Luck 2) You don't see what this has to do with anything, however.

Cheddarius' golem attacks the remaining imp. (4) It swings directly at it, (RTD 6) but the small and nimble creature easily dodges.

Nirur's skeletons team up on the other imp. (1)(3) Their attacks seem weak, (RTD 4)(RTD 4) and the imp dodges them.

Dragnar's skeleton attacks the imp. (1) His attack goes wide (RTD 4) and the imp has no problem evading it.

The imp notices that it's only alive through sheer luck, (4+1) and teleports away (Luck 6) before anyone can stop him.
---
The carriage finally pulls up to Almar's Keep. The keep has seen better days, and it looks like they only recently repelled another demon assault. Many of the walls are damaged, and some makeshift barriers patch up the holes in them. The guards seem hesitant to open the gate, but eventually do so, letting the group into the city. The refugees thank the group, (Luck 2) but don't have anything to give them as payment. Still, journeying to the town might prove beneficial after all, as now the group can seek advice and trade with merchants.
---
Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virroken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aarchan(Kilakan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kin(KineseN) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dragnar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marcus(Acanthus117) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cheddarius (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 120