Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 120

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet II: Forbidden Lore [Turn 81]  (Read 230868 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Guardian of Hell [Turn 62]
« Reply #1305 on: October 15, 2010, 05:41:33 pm »

Dammit stop giving RNG ideas! The last time that happened the world turned into vanilla pudding!

???
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 15, 2010, 07:32:26 pm »

I'm thinking the platform is more "a thick slab of stone" and less "a slab of stone on fragile pillars high above the ground," so breaking it probably won't do anything.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 15, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »

I'm thinking the platform is more "a thick slab of stone" and less "a slab of stone on fragile pillars high above the ground"

This is quite accurate. It is a giant chunk of obsidian, as is everything else in the room, except for the onyx gems and the... wait, I forgot to mention that part, didn't I?

Okay, yeah. There are 12 small spikes surrounding the platform, each one roughly 8 feet tall, with the last foot or so being made of solid crystal that glows with a faint light that shifts through several colors.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 15, 2010, 08:12:30 pm »

I'm thinking the platform is more "a thick slab of stone" and less "a slab of stone on fragile pillars high above the ground," so breaking it probably won't do anything.

We could have the earth magic guys dump him into a pit so we can beat him up from a distance.

edit: Ninja'd twice in a day, in the same thread.

Impael on dem spikes?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 15, 2010, 08:14:27 pm »

We could have the earth magic guys dump him into a pit so we can beat him up from a distance.
I like this idea, but he probably jumps well. If he's a charger, putting pits everywhere would also likely help.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 15, 2010, 08:31:15 pm »

I like this idea, but he probably jumps well. If he's a charger, putting pits everywhere would also likely help.
He's supposedly very slow, so it's likely he doesn't jump well or charge. He's presumably so damn big that getting him in a pit too deep to climb out of would be quite a challenge, however. Digging holes to trap his legs might work, but damaging him is probably a bigger concern than holding him still, at least at the moment.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 15, 2010, 08:38:47 pm »

Oops, memory failure. In that case, the spires are likely a threat.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 15, 2010, 10:04:56 pm »

Almost assuredly. My best guess would be that they further grant him defensive advantage while on the platform, but anything's possible.

On a related note, I want to carve stuff out of them.

Virroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: October 16, 2010, 02:37:19 am »

I'm gonna stun/slow him constantly and hope that translates into RTD kiting. This is probably more of a SOLVE TEH PUZZLE thing than LOL LETS MASS ATTACK HIM AND HOPE IT WORKS. The armor is supposed to be impenetrable without some magical trick.

It's obvious we have to do something with the spires. Cut them down? Use them as weapons? Overload them with magic?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 16, 2010, 02:39:29 am »

This is probably more of a SOLVE TEH PUZZLE thing than LOL LETS MASS ATTACK HIM AND HOPE IT WORKS. The armor is supposed to be impenetrable without some magical trick.
The reason me and dermonster are attacking it in a likely hopeless melee is to distract it from beating the rest of you guys to a pulp.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: October 16, 2010, 02:41:55 am »

REST OF PARTY IS TINY SQUISHY WIZARDS A-HAHAHAHA HAA!
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: October 16, 2010, 03:28:49 am »

This is probably more of a SOLVE TEH PUZZLE thing than LOL LETS MASS ATTACK HIM AND HOPE IT WORKS. The armor is supposed to be impenetrable without some magical trick.
Fascinating. I'd never thought of it like a literal puzzle before; I knew the spires and runes were likely going to need to be dealt with or worked around, and I suspected other surprises might await us, but I'd still been thinking of it as a somewhat tactical battle. This is definitely worth considering.

REST OF PARTY IS TINY SQUISHY WIZARDS A-HAHAHAHA HAA!
Sadly true. :( Even those of us skilled in melee weapons aren't really armored enough to survive in melee for long, and we're out of resilient minions.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: October 16, 2010, 08:43:10 pm »

I attempt to summon a piece of its armor off of its body. Preferably from the head.
My first skeleton guards me.
My second skeleton attempts to attack the monster.

Casters do buffs!
Charge! Draw his attention with a slash to the throat!

I follow dermonster and attack the monster's right hand/other appendage on the right side of it's body if it has any.

Take the Earthen Dagger, and infuse it with the hadeshorn brew.

I would suggest attacking Moloch the Eternal Guardian first. He has the most power physically, but is extremely slow. If you can keep your distance, you have the best chance of surviving against him. If worst comes to worst, you can always run away. The problem with him is his armor; it is almost impenetrable. You will probably need to find some magical way to break or bypass his armor if you want to kill him.

Info quote on our current boss. We should probably not go into melee distance COUGHCOUGHtarrananddermonsterCOUGHCOUGH.

Standard opening frost wave because debuffs are the coolest thing ever.
Also, keep distance.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Or they can tank for us. That works too.

Excellent. Aegis Dunib. If you'd like I'll Berserk you once we've established that you don't really, really need to run away next round. Unless I need to Aegis Tarran as well, which I guess is likely.

Now to hope those runes don't screw us over. Unlikely, given that we're in a demon lord's living room.

Lend Earthen Dagger to Aarchan and let him do what he wants with it. Before Dunib or Tarran charges the monster I Purge the hulking figure from whatever vile buffs it has. Stone Spirit stands close to Nirur Torir and will heal whoever is in need of it.

Need Acanthus.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: October 17, 2010, 07:19:50 pm »

Attempt to Force Bolt the thing's weapon out of its hand
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet II: Anyone else feel like we're fighting a building? [Turn 63]
« Reply #1319 on: October 18, 2010, 01:14:46 pm »

I would suggest attacking Moloch the Eternal Guardian first. He has the most power physically, but is extremely slow. If you can keep your distance, you have the best chance of surviving against him. If worst comes to worst, you can always run away. The problem with him is his armor; it is almost impenetrable. You will probably need to find some magical way to break or bypass his armor if you want to kill him.

Info quote on our current boss. We should probably not go into melee distance COUGHCOUGHtarrananddermonsterCOUGHCOUGH.

Standard opening frost wave because debuffs are the coolest thing ever.
Also, keep distance.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Or they can tank for us. That works too.

You quickly conjure up a wave of cold, (1+3) sending it rushing towards the behemoth. (Luck 3) The wave engulfs the creature (Resist 5) but it shrugs off your spell.

+2 to Elementalism

I attempt to summon a piece of its armor off of its body. Preferably from the head.
My first skeleton guards me.
My second skeleton attempts to attack the monster.

You try to disarmor the hulking figure, (1+2) but you are unable to pull the massive helmet to yourself. (6) Instead, you summon yourself to the helmet, and you are now standing on top of the massive thing's shoulders.

+2 to Summoning

New Spell: Translocate

Lend Earthen Dagger to Aarchan and let him do what he wants with it. Before Dunib or Tarran charges the monster I Purge the hulking figure from whatever vile buffs it has. Stone Spirit stands close to Nirur Torir and will heal whoever is in need of it.
You hand your dagger over to Aarchan, then attack the hulking creature with a Purge. (3+1) You blast the creature, (Luck 4) which engulfs him in a dull grey light for a short while before it fades.

+2 to Necromancy

Casters do buffs!
Charge! Draw his attention with a slash to the throat!

You grab your axe and charge directly at the the guardian. (6+1) You can't reach his head, so you aim for his chest instead. (RTD 3-4) The huge demon doesn't react at all, and your axe strikes directly on his chest and jarringly bounces off with a dull ringing sound.

+1 to Axes

I follow dermonster and attack the monster's right hand/other appendage on the right side of it's body if it has any.
You follow up Dunib's attack with your own, attacking the demon's right hand. (4+2) Your sword slices through the air, (RTD 2-4) striking right on the creature's wrist. Your attack also proves fruitless, as you barely manage to scruff his armor.

+1 to Swords

Take the Earthen Dagger, and infuse it with the hadeshorn brew.
You gladly accept the dagger from Kin, and as you take hold of the hilt you feel a familiar presence within the blade. (1+3) You dip the dagger into your Hadeshorn brew, which flares with white and blue magic as it soaks up the liquid. (Luck 6) The wave of magic that results from the procedure leaves you feeling refreshed and exhilarated.

Excellent. Aegis Dunib. If you'd like I'll Berserk you once we've established that you don't really, really need to run away next round. Unless I need to Aegis Tarran as well, which I guess is likely.

Now to hope those runes don't screw us over. Unlikely, given that we're in a demon lord's living room.
You conjure up another Aegis effect, (4+1) casting the protective shimmer over Dunib. (Luck 3) The effect encases him and he glows with a soft light.

+1 to Metamagic

Attempt to Force Bolt the thing's weapon out of its hand
You look around for a weapon, but the demon seems to lack one. (1+3) You shoot a force bolt at the demon's hand instead, (RTD 5-4) but the demon seems unfazed.

+1 to Metamagic

Moloch then stands up, and the group suddenly realized just how large he is. The great demon lord stands 60 feet tall and is about a third as wide. His hands are roughly the size of boulders, and look like they could crush someone just as easily. (5) Nirur expertly keeps his balance as he stands on top of the behemoth's shoulder, looking foolishly out of place next to him. Through his visor you see only two red glowing slits, and a wave of hatred and malevolence radiates from him. The great beast lets out a mighty roar, then turns to face Dunib.

Spoiler: Nirur Torir (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Virroken (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Aarchan(Kilakan) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kin(KineseN) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Marcus(Acanthus117) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tarran (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Davar(IronyOwl) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 03:44:50 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 120