Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Site troubles  (Read 514 times)

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Site troubles
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:02:26 pm »

Does anyone else have trouble choosing a site? :/ I like to plan for the long term, so I can't stand choosing sites that don't have magma, flux, stone that'll have ore, etc. I also hate 'messy' terrain where it just.. looks ugly, fractured, can't even tell which way is which. I like maps that are flat and then have the mountain begin -- I usually turn off cliff eroding for this reason. Still, I can never seem to find a site that I know I won't get bored of in 2 hours due to lacking a steelmaking resource or HFS or a river or the like -- I liked it better in the old 2d version where every map had everything, and you didn't have to spend hours finding a site. On the rare occasional I /do/ find something, it's been like an hour or even more and I've lost my desire to even play by then. Any suggestions? The built-in site finder kind of sucks, as it almost always chooses awkward places, and it only ever picks up one site per set of parameters.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Site troubles
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 08:14:16 pm »

everyone has this problem to some extent.  I, for instance, have never been ablr to find a good source of magma in a non-evil biome
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 08:27:32 pm »

I try to design maps that have more of those itty bitty little mountains in the middle of some other terrain.  It really concentrates all those fun features into a few tiles while still allowing a big chunk of flat land with possibly different rocks.  More initial and final mountain ranges, more rivers help.  More erosion cycles helps, although it also seems to result in some oddities, like I once had embark sized almost square mountains ~2 tiles apart, instead of just being some kind of ridge thing. 

And yes, everyone sooner or later figures out their own set of worldgen voodoo magic to get stuff they want all in the same place. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:29:15 pm »

Try out the following worldgen parameters, I can almost always find a site that meets my specifications with it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the site finder, well, I gave up on it a long time ago and just manually pan the map around looking for what I am after.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 12:22:28 pm »

Awesome world-gen setup!!!

I like how I'm the myth maker now, seeing as how it stops on year 2.  =)

Oh, and here's a facepalm that goes with it.  I JUST realized that I can add custom gen setups to my worldgen file and not type them in manually.

!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 07:49:34 pm »

Awesome world-gen setup!!!

I like how I'm the myth maker now, seeing as how it stops on year 2.  =)

Yeah I like to have lots of megabeastst so I have it stop with only a couple are dead. 

One oddity of that parameter set is that it occasionally generates a world with no elves, but most of the time all 4 races are present.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.