Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Door Won't Close  (Read 1026 times)

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Door Won't Close
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:31:14 pm »

So I built my baron's bedroom with a lever operated door, to ensure containment in case I need to execute him by releasing the goblin imprisoned near his bed (in other situations, the goblin's main duty is to tell my baron bedtime stories).  However, I can't seem to get the door to close.  It's linked to two levers, one inside the bedroom, one without, and I've tried the two levers in every combination, but the door remains stubbornly open.

Any advice?

SinisterMinisterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Door Won't Close
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 03:36:28 pm »

My first guess is that door/lever combos only work right with one lever - but I've never tried using more than one lever on a door myself, so I'm not sure.

If not that: is there a hidden item on that tile holding it open?

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:18 pm »

"A Monarch Butterfly, showing extraordinary coordination, has lodged itself in the doorway"

-Boatmurdered
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 09:49:24 pm »

"A Monarch Butterfly, showing extraordinary coordination, has lodged itself in the doorway"

-Boatmurdered

beat me to the punch
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:04:02 pm »

To be more specific, if ALMOST ANYTHING is in a doorway, it can prevent a door from closing.  That means a fly can prevent a door from closing.

Someone was just talking in another thread about how an animal that they made explode counted as still being in the tile that it died, preventing walls from being built.

Doors should open and close basically instantly if linked to a lever, and the position of the lever doesn't matter, levers only have an effect when they are pulled, and only to switch all linked objects to the new state that the lever is in (meaning that a lever can be "closed", but the door still be "open", and pulling the lever will do nothing, but pulling the lever BACK to closed would cause the door to be closed as well) so this shouldn't be a problem. 

Any number of levers can be linked to a single door, and only the lever that is being pulled at that instant would have any effect on the door.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:27:45 pm »

Try removing and rebuilding the door. That often helps.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 05:45:33 pm »

So I built my baron's bedroom with a lever operated door, to ensure containment in case I need to execute him by releasing the goblin imprisoned near his bed (in other situations, the goblin's main duty is to tell my baron bedtime stories).  However, I can't seem to get the door to close.  It's linked to two levers, one inside the bedroom, one without, and I've tried the two levers in every combination, but the door remains stubbornly open.

Any advice?

I'm sorry but this strikes me as utterly awesome and funny. I can just imagine some posh, arrogant Baron sitting in bed while a goblin tells him stories in monotone, praying for death.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 07:50:02 pm »

Any advice?

I'm sorry but this strikes me as utterly awesome and funny. I can just imagine some posh, arrogant Baron sitting in bed while a goblin tells him stories in monotone, praying for death.

Well, I figure that the Baron's got to have something to keep him occupied, since his wife insists on having her own suite of rooms.