Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Beginners Succession Game  (Read 34481 times)

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
  • The one, and only, Beadra.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Succession Game
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010, 02:02:23 am »

I have two that have that on. I think it was supposed to start automatically when the water wheel was added onto it but I think the water wheel being right over top the water there it would be pumping from is blocking it. =/
We all die eventually, though more so for dwarfs.

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2010, 02:04:43 am »

No, it'd be because the water isn't flowing.  Channel out a line next to the brook (since brooks aren't powerful enough to turn water wheels) and put the wheel on top of it.  Make sure the channel is long enough so you get flow.  You will need some axles, and possible a gear assembly.
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2010, 02:08:58 am »

Actually I rebuilt the water wheel and it seems to be working now. Its very slowly pumping water into the first area its currently muddy heheh.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:59:34 am by Set_Beadra »

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

Jetsquirrel

• Bay Watcher
  • In the end, i will win.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2010, 03:17:25 am »

Damnit trigonous your avatar just attracts my eyes, and i then watch it.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2010, 03:19:24 am »

Yours is almost as bad =P
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2010, 03:26:20 am »

Nevermind... I failed again. I have been at this for a while now trying to get it to work and sometimes it starts working correctly for a moment but stops after a few seconds. I took a pic of what I currently have.
I'll put it in a spoiler to save space on the page.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 10:59:46 am by Set_Beadra »

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2010, 03:28:18 am »

It's probably because it's too hard for the water to flow through that.  Channel out parallel to the brook and try that.  You'll need to break through the wall, so just construct walls across the brook.  If you really want to go all out, drain the brook first and construct some grates as well.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2010, 03:34:59 am »

IF there;s room for more, sign me up.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2010, 03:42:51 am »

sorry, I had to sleep and I think i'm currently in winter, i'll update now before I have to do stuff for my birthday and get this passed on
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2010, 03:50:48 am »

oh, and set- try to dig out back to the brook to make a full "u", that should keep the water flowing and the wheel turning.  also, you can connect water wheels to water wheels for more powah
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2010, 03:54:06 am »

Here's a picture of my water-wheel power-plant.  You can see that I've channeled out from the brook to facilitate the wheels, and it extends past the walls (I overdid the channels just to make sure I got flow.  On the left-most wheel, the channel was just the three tiles it takes up).

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2010, 04:21:58 am »

Ooops... Sorry I had it figured out and working shortly after trigs post. Here's what I ended with. All that for a waterfall to keep my dwarfs happy. Which they are. Quite a few have a happy thought of comforted by a waterfall.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2010, 05:15:44 am »

--2nd of Osidian--

Nothing happened since my last entry except:

I let him move to the worshop area with these promising words: "If you demand glass I'll make some, break it and stab you with it"

Luckily he begun construction in the crafting workshop (after kicking the bone carver out rather nastily) with a tanned hide, 3 turtle shells, and a felsite block... I understand the hide and shells but a random block is so imerssive and amazing.

He took all those things and made a...a...AN EARRING?!?
He even drew the earring itself on the leather, and it is encircled with bands of turtle shell, and also menaces with spikes of turtles shell...idiot

I should probably say although not being worth as much the idol artifact at least shows a goblin being killed in this fortress

--20th of Osidian--

So many things just happened, first a dude trying to drink from the pool got killed by a longoose gar, the champion THEN got pulled under then murdered the gar (that was then named) after thinking he was dead a miner dug a ramp so he could get out and all was well... the miner is a freakin hero, first he mines the fortress out with his friend WHILE overseeing the construction and the running of it and now saves one of our champions, he deserves awesomeness. (yes it's you Set)

--26th of Odidian--

My secret project "death to most mainly people in the valley project is almost complete

--1st of Granite--

Well, my replacement should be here and I'm taking up leading the future marksdwarf squads (being proficient with a crossbow is a nice boost) but I have some advice

-Finish my secret project, all that needs doing now is to let the dude link the levers up to the floodgates and to finish the last bits of the tunnel.

-Get a steady stock of booze, those carp have had enough fun

-Get some marksdwarves (prehaps by letting them hunt? thats how I trained up my dude)

-Decide whether the tomb I built could be used for all the overseers

-Deal with the carp (preferably by using the secret project to cook them with magma and lava)

Obviously these can't be done in one term but doing these would be nice, also get some more beds and a place to put them.

Ok i'll post the link in a sec

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2010, 05:20:07 am »

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2010, 05:27:37 am »

Edit the first post with the play order/progress, I keep searching for it to find my place =P

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28