Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28

Author Topic: Beginners Succession Game  (Read 34455 times)

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Succession Game
« Reply #285 on: March 30, 2010, 10:00:38 am »

Phil, you're Hamlet Manager, not expedition leader, I can't appoint expedition leader so I had to leave it with Lorbam. You are still bookkeeper, I just set your setting to "all counts are accurate".
On a different note, Set's profession is now set as "Workaholic".
Also, I'd like to mess with pretty much everyone's labours, so if anyone except Set has any specific requests for their Dwarves, raise a voice.
Mining!  ;D
Derp.

Put

• Bay Watcher
  • Vwoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 30, 2010, 10:04:41 am »

Yeah actually I didn't touch the miners at all besides adding wood hauling to the one that isn't you. You two do nothing but mine, and you are damn good at it seems, so I'll leave it at that unless I'll have a bit of a shortage somewhere else.

EDIT:

So far the dwarves are set up in these groups, all the members of a group have the same labours on, except Phil, (Who is a craftsdwarf,) Who doesn't clean or haul refuse.

Today I was greeted by an unwanted visitor.

I was walking outside, looking for a bin, when suddenly I heard one of the dwarves shout "Snatcher! protect the children!" I turned around and before I could say Sweet Rubal Akmamgembish I had walked right into a hideous green Gobo. We were both quite startled, If I may say, as moments later we were running away from each other, I ran back inside, and he presumably ran home. It was an awkward moment.

17th of Granite, 53, Early Spring
Elves! Elven caravan that is. I'm tempted to order all of our chopped wood to be piled in front of the depot, but decided we have more important things to do. It would be pret

20th of Granite, 53, Early Spring
I would've completed the last entry if I wasn't so rudely interrupted by the sounds of screaming and dying...Two ambushes! I knew something was just wrong about that snatcher running away.
Those damn Gobos are really starting to get on my bad side.
Sadly, we lost two of our fine warriors during the combat.
Logem Stigazzon, Marksdwarf, Was shot and killed by the Goblin crossbowmen.
Ingish Dumatethab, Axedwarf, died from severe blood loss, we aren't sure exactly what caused the fatal injury.
Looks like this is going to be a looong year.

7th of Slate, 53, Mid-Spring
Uh oh, one of the dwarves, Kib Frostyurn got a little too upset today, she went over to talk with Lorbam, who was a busy with making barrels, Lorbam told Kib to come by his room later, Kib yelled at Lorbam, punched him, and toppled the Carpenter's workshop over his head!
I've ordered a new Workshop to be built while Lorbam is recovering his head injuries.

8th of Slate, 53, Mid-Spring
I asked around, and it seems no one really know Kib, but apparently she's the one who made that spectacular oaken earing. When I went to talk to her she complained about the lack of food and proper sleeping quarters. I know I can address at least one of these issues.

20th of Slate, 53, Mid-Spring
Sweet Rubal Akmamgembish! Migrants! 21 of them! as if we didn't have too many mouths too feed already!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 02:20:58 pm by Put »

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 30, 2010, 05:14:03 pm »

Goddamn migrants...

I had turned off all my labours because the only thing I was good at was gemcutting/crafting(gee, that's helpful)  So I turned off most of my other labours In the hopes that my constant socializing would make me a competent appraiser/judge of intent.  The reason some dwarves are sooo much better at their jobs than others is that when I embarked.

Oh, and I may not be expedition leader, BUT I CONTROL THE TRADE!  BY CONTROLLING SUPPLY, I CONTROL THE FORTRESS MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

about the sleeping quarters/food thing..I figured out that the reason the dwarves would sleep on the floor rather than in the barracks was that the beds were forbidden.  They only show as forbidden using the mass forbid/claim trick.  I got the stuff in the barracks, but the individual rooms and dining hall might still be forbidden.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 30, 2010, 05:19:44 pm »

Build a 'greenhouse' and have 5-6 gathering herbs, and 3-4 growing plants.
Derp.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 30, 2010, 05:40:24 pm »

Part of the problem is that most of the farmers have novice farming, so by the time they finish planting a 3x3 square, the first patch they planted has finished growing.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
  • The one, and only, Beadra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 30, 2010, 11:15:02 pm »

This is pretty awesome =D! I'm happy to see the reclaiming has gone okay so far. Why not just have a 6x6 plump helmet farm? 6x6 set to farm plump helmets is plenty enough for a 100 dwarf fortress.
We all die eventually, though more so for dwarfs.

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 31, 2010, 04:09:53 am »

it DOES have a 6x6
  actually, when I started it had about a 6x6, and I added 4 3x3's(personal preference)  so yeah..lazt=y farmers...

Put

• Bay Watcher
  • Vwoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 31, 2010, 06:43:53 am »

Last time I checked the 6x6 was empty and they were all working on one 3x3.

they'd grow 2 plump helmets and then somebody would rush over and eat them, rinse and repeat

This doesn't sound good.

Uhh...

Asmel seems to function perfectly normally, but I'll do my best to keep my distance from him.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:47:20 am by Put »

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
  • The one, and only, Beadra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 31, 2010, 05:06:50 pm »

That's awesome! Through all the forts I have had I haven't yet had a fell mood.
We all die eventually, though more so for dwarfs.

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 31, 2010, 06:02:49 pm »

THE BUREAUCRACY GROWS

Is the well helping at all?  I spent a lot of time on that...oh, and if you're getting ambushes you might want to complete that wall I was building....

Put

• Bay Watcher
  • Vwoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 31, 2010, 06:57:25 pm »

Is the well helping at all?

The Dwarves use it and complain about the lack of it all the time, it's pretty strange.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 01, 2010, 02:50:02 am »

I've always wanted a fell mood but it never happens...
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Put

• Bay Watcher
  • Vwoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 01, 2010, 03:49:34 pm »

14th of Hematite, 53, Early Summer

Today we were greeted by a Goblin snatcher once again, he sneaked through the partially built walls Phil left behind him.

Once again, he escaped, but I'll be damned if I'll let him bring another ambush squad to our doorstep just like that, I've  ordered the completion of the wall.

27th of Hematite, 53, Early Summer

Unfortunately, the Gobos showed up on the 21st before our mason could finish the wall.
I called everyone inside and sent out the soldiers..well..it wasn't pretty.
We won, but at the lost of 2 other troops and another Dwarf, our ranks dropped to just 2 Dwarves.

28th of Hematite, 53, Early Summer

Looks like some dwarves are really upset about the outcome of the battle.

Moans of hunger have become a constant,

Even though the farms are working.

7th of Malachite, 53, Mid-Summer

Our Mason, Thob Arfeb started running around naked.

I've taken it on myself to complete the wall and bridge.

14th of Malachite, 53, Mid-Summer

The displays of anger continue.

24th of Malachite, 53, Mid-Summer

The Wall and Bridge are finally finished,

I've ordered a lever constructed by the farms.

27th of Malachite, 53, Mid-Summer

It seems like the end to our food problems might be nigh.

7th of Galena, 53, Late Summer

Someone mentioned to me that during the night he saw one of the dwarves get out of his bed, mutter something, and rush off to the workshop area.

I went to see him but he barely even noticed I was there, he was frantically digging through the workshop's shelves, looking for materials, he went through all of them for the fifth time when I decided that there's nothing I can do but lock him in.

23rd of Galena, 53, Late Summer

Has anyone seen Kubuk? I wonder where he's gotten off to..

Dusty you died during the fight with the goblins :/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 03:52:31 pm by Put »

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 01, 2010, 04:26:41 pm »

Not Dusty?! Damn, no wonder my guy threw a fit.  At least the wall`s done, and the food situation seems to be slowly getting better.

Dustylou2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard of Yendor hits! You die... DYWYPI?
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 01, 2010, 11:15:10 pm »

Nooo! If you can figure out who killed me, take horrible vengeance against them!

If possible, name some random engraver "Dusty II"; I'd rather not die twice in a fort...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28