Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Beginners Succession Game  (Read 34491 times)

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners Succession Game
« Reply #240 on: March 27, 2010, 02:12:59 am »

10th slate

Now that I've got a chance to chug an ale, might as well start a real report on this mess...

Well, to start, I'm Phil, leader of the reclamation outfit.  We came expecting to fight off goblins to take back this outpost but found...nothing.  no resistance of any sort, just one biiig pile of crap.  Well, at least that meant I could downsize the militia.  We still have 2 squads, but instead of 7d a squad we have 2.  The profiles of the squad leaders are below.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, I've sent the rest of the men to work, cleaning up their respective workplaces.  It's been a major pain, as some of the men have decided that the stuff must be cursed by whatever killed off the original inhabitants.  Normally, I'd have told them to dwarf up and stop acting like a bunch of elves that had just discovered they couldn't productively copulate with a tree.   Unfortunately for me, someone let slip that my father did gemwork for the temples back home, and now they've decided I need to "cleanse" all the stuff before they'll touch it.  Well, I better get back to work, I want to get a Depot up before too long.

(anyone have any tips for mass-unforbidding the stuff? I tried doing it from  the stock menu, and got some of it, but the clothing, rocks, ect i'm doing one at a time :P  oh, and all your dwarves have been made, just too tired to write em all up now.  I'm gunna take a little break, then get back on it.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 27, 2010, 04:29:56 am »

10th sandstone

Armok, mid-autumn already... We've barely made a dent in cleaning this place up!  Well, we DID accomplish some things.  Firstly, some migrants arrived, bringing our number up.  Unfortunately we lost at least one dwarf to a carp attack.  Apparently we had run out of booze much sooner than I anticipated, and for some reason there was no well in the damn place!  I put Put to work brewing...

fortunately we had some spare barrels lying around, so the carpenters had time to fix up their shops and start making extra barrels, and a couple buckets for a welll too.  I'm digging a channel from the river to under our fort so we'll have a source of water during sieges.  the mining is going very quickly, thanks to soft clay and Slayer's determination-I caught her sleeping outside by the tunnel, presumably so she could finish all the faster!

The next thing was telling the masons they had to work on chairs-I found one in this entire fortress! ONE!  So they've been put to work.  I've also been helping the smiths clean up the forges, and put them to work smelting ore and melting excess iron that's lying about.  Set's turned his attention there now, and become Quite a good metalsmith.........zzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz....

EDIT: Slayer's details added.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:00:02 pm by Phil_Z »
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 27, 2010, 05:41:15 am »

(anyone have any tips for mass-unforbidding the stuff? I tried doing it from  the stock menu, and got some of it, but the clothing, rocks, ect i'm doing one at a time :P  oh, and all your dwarves have been made, just too tired to write em all up now.  I'm gunna take a little break, then get back on it.

Press D enter b enter , now you're on a reclaim/forbid menu and you can designate large areas to do all sorts of forbid/claim/dump stuff with all of it at once.  Good luck!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Put

• Bay Watcher
  • Vwoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 27, 2010, 05:55:50 am »

Hey hey *winks at slayer*

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
  • The one, and only, Beadra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 27, 2010, 10:40:32 am »

Yay! I just woke up but I hope everything is going okay so far. Sounds good. The bridge had been destroyed going in hadn't it? I had thought a tantruming dwarf had destroyed the draw bridge. Did you rebuild it or just build some flooring over the hole? Just curious. 
We all die eventually, though more so for dwarfs.

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 27, 2010, 12:09:26 pm »

I'm interested in being a substitute, if anyone else drops out. This'll be my first succession game.

It'll be a bit weird going back to Vanilla DF after playing Dig Deeper for most of my DF career.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 12:43:27 pm by Burnt Pies »
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 27, 2010, 12:18:57 pm »

Alright then. Here's the order.

1. Set (Completed)
2. DarkChasm(Completed)
3. Quinnr(Completed)
4. Trig(Complete)
5. Phil_Z(Current)
6. Ze Spy
7. Put
8. DustyLou2
9. Slayer
10. Burnt Pies

An insane child kills the remaining group of spine injured dwarfs shortly before starving to death himself. Thus ended Weightknives. May the souls of the fallen rest in every level of Armok's 1000 hells.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2010, 12:44:42 pm »

Thanks!

I hadn't noticed there was a free space. Now I'm all excited  :)
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Set_Beadra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 27, 2010, 02:20:05 pm »

Haha. Cool. Good to see enthusiasm. People drop out of these so much it feels like more of a chore than a game to continue it sometimes. =/

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 27, 2010, 02:56:32 pm »

tru dat.  just got up and decided to check on any questions before getting started.

Set:  There was still a bridge over a hole on the way into the fort, but the bridge was only 1 dwarf wide.  dunno if It was like that before...

It's going pretty smoothly overall, although all the dwarves are unhappy due to lack of chairs.(which I am trying to remedy)  for some reason the dwarves are refusing to sleep in the barracks. Also, I was hoping to make myself the broker, but I'm having trouble finding time to build a Depot to help train him, so right now he's just sitting around talking to people.  I was also planning on building a wall around the entrance to our fort, but that's been put on hold.  I plan to finish up; the waterway and floor it over to make it magma-proof, and possibly finish off the FUCK THE WORLD project if I have time.  OH, and clean up this goddamn place, it's filthy.  And finish designating that quantum stockpile I'm making by the masonry shops.  And make an underground refuse pile, complete with air shaft for to prevent teh miasma

Burnt Pies, you want me to make a dwarf for you, or would you rather wait for you turn?  Imp, Thanks for your help, do you want a dwarf?

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 27, 2010, 03:23:53 pm »

Oh god I forgot about my magma deathtrap  :P
It has a few flaws though, magma won't flow fast enough will it?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 27, 2010, 03:34:00 pm »

MY plan is to build a pumpstack that get lava up over the channel, then drops it in.  if that doesn't work I'll just build a magma moat instead.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 27, 2010, 03:45:23 pm »

Phil, if it's all the same to you, I'll wait until my turn to make my Dwarf, so I can see what I'm working with.

Thanks for the thought.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 27, 2010, 04:49:42 pm »

Zzzz......ELVES! uhh... must have dozed off...

Anyhow, back to the record...Set's actually been quite useful, taking up all the random jobs around here.

One last thing before I get back to work:  we've had a couple of Kobold thieves and goblin snatchers, as well as a swarm of Rhesus Macaws.  The goblins and Kobalds ran off, and as for the Macaws, well...Suffice to say we're eating Rhesus for breakfast.

(i'll update slayer's stuff now)

Put

• Bay Watcher
  • Vwoosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 27, 2010, 04:52:30 pm »

Monkeys are totally an evening dish.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28