Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Question of the Week thread: Out of ideas  (Read 11295 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Question of the Week thread: Now with twice the question.
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2010, 03:11:12 am »

I read a lot of Red Wall when I was in Jr. High.  I got interested when I saw the well done animation on PBS. I stopped reading him when his novel seem to get repetitive. Redwall though is great fantasy novel.

I never understood the appeal of Animorphs myself. I did real a lot of RL Stine when I was in the 3rd grade the second time. They were light enough to books to help me learn how to read. I know there of different genre, but I find them in the similar vain of kid serial franchise book thing.

Anybody read any of Diane Dubane Wizard series?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2010, 03:27:11 am »

3. Favourite movie?

1. Least Favourite Book?
2. Least favourite vidya game?
3. Least favourite Movie?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2010, 03:32:36 am »

1. Least Favourite Book?

1. I can't say for certain what my least favorite book ever was, but I can think of a few that I hated reading in junior high.  Maybe To Kill a Mockingbird.  I didn't care.

2. If I had to pick one... Ah, there's a bunch right on the edge of memory, but I don't know the titles.  I don't want to be trite and just say Halo 2 (because I just don't think it was designed well).  Oh right, I remember.  Hitman.  How the fuck are you even supposed to play that?

3. So many to choose from, but I can pick the perfect encapsulation.  Coyote Ugly.  That's really all there is to say on the matter.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2010, 04:10:54 am »

Hmmkay, I'll definitely look into those books :D

As far as Tamora Pierce, I sort of grew out of her around when the Trickster and The Circle Opens works were published, so my experience is more with her earlier works.  I'm planning on going off to read her more recent books over the summer, though--I think I need a little foray into childhood delights to make me feel better about recent events.

I read a lot of Red Wall when I was in Jr. High.  I got interested when I saw the well done animation on PBS. I stopped reading him when his novel seem to get repetitive. Redwall though is great fantasy novel.

Ah, I always loved the dialects, places, and foods he described.  I didn't read them for the plot (I don't think I really knew what was going on, half the time).  I read them for the detail, kind of like I used to obsessively reread the beginning of The Fellowship of the Ring.

... I don't know why I love reading about food so much, since I'm not that into eating it... but for some reason, I'm a real sucker for food descriptions and pictures.  I just like looking and drooling, but I don't like smelling.

Yeah, I'm a little bit weird.

I never understood the appeal of Animorphs myself. I did real a lot of RL Stine when I was in the 3rd grade the second time. They were light enough to books to help me learn how to read. I know there of different genre, but I find them in the similar vain of kid serial franchise book thing.

Ah, I read loads of R. L. Stine, too.  Given that I was pretty much doing nothing but reading at that point--I refused to take my face out of a book to cross the street, for example--I think it was partially a matter of there being a lot of it.  The other thing was that the stories were so profoundly detached from my reality that I found myself transfixed.  As a young girl with no friends, no comprehension of other human beings, and a seeming complete inability to figure out the most basic rules of social interaction, they were fascinating.  It was interesting to hear about other people's adventures with their friends, and how they reacted to the environment around them.  Reading all those shitty serialized novels gave me a chance to catch up a little bit with my peers in terms of social development, so that although I was still grievously behind on all counts, I had some idea of what the hell was going on.

Heck, I read the Thoroughbred series, too--almost the entire goddamned thing, and given that it was one long stream of "Look listen hey horses look!" I figure something else was going on.  Either that, or I had no taste (which I can certainly believe).

Anybody read any of Diane Duane Wizard series?

Check!  Not my thing, but I do remember looking through them at least a little when I was younger.

In the same vein: Any Jane Yolen or Madeleine L'Engle fans out there?  Ooh, and how about people who have read The Plant that Ate Dirty Socks, or the books by Astrid Lindgren, or by Peggy Parish?  I loved all of those as a kid.

3. Favourite movie?

1. Least Favourite Book?

3. Favorite movie... hrm.  I don't watch many movies, but I do like My Cousin Vinny, Watchmen (yeah, yeah, travesty, whatever.  It was reasonable), The Dark Knight, V for Vendetta, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1998 French musical performance for stage, starring Garou and Helene Segara).

Oh.  Also liked Big Fish, though I've only seen it once.  Go figure.

1. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.  Maya Angelou.  Required reading for freshmen in my high school.

SO MUCH HATRED YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.  It was the first book we had to read, and if I had a copy I'd almost burn it out of sheer spite (okay, I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't try to make sure it went to a good home.  If you buy it unawares, it's your fault).

Pfaugh.  Hate.

2. Probably any and all of those piece of shit games that are made from random American cartoon/toy crap like Sponge Bob Squarepants or Rugrats, whatever.  They aren't games.  They're vehicles for advertisements.

I'm also not much for sports games.  Grew up playing them with my cousin, and don't want to play them anymore.  I can't say they're like the other things on this list, though.  I don't hold an utter disdain for anyone who occasionally enjoys a little Madden, Blitz, whatever.  They're just something I dislike, in general.

3. The Scarlet Letter.  That movie is rage-inducing.  I am one of the few people who enjoyed the novel (yes, I also adore Moby Dick.  Go figure), but ... HURNGH.  It ran so very far away from anything that was possibly enjoyable about the original work and turned it all into monstrous face-beating horrible chick-flick demonic mishmash.  As someone I knew in high school said, "It's not scraping the bottom of the barrel.  No, the bottom of the barrel is what it wants to be when it grows up."

I also dislike chick flicks in general.  Female: check.  Been through heartbreak: check.  Dealt with idiot men: check.  Empathize with your heroine:

*crickets*

I mean seriously.  Yeah, sure, romantic comedies can be occasionally amusing.  Sleepless in Seattle was reasonable, I guess.  But the straight-up standard chick flick... no.  I don't want to see it.  I don't even want to know it exists.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2010, 04:30:26 am »

Fav Movie: To many to list.

1. Asked and Answered.

2. I contest that franchise games are not games, but mostly I hate them. Pokemon series are an excellent vehicle for advertising, but they are fine games in their own right. Spider-Man 2 the Game; this was a fantastic game in its own right and did exactly what a movie tie in game should do! Expand the story of the movie, provide it with more depth, and let the audience explore the universe! Ridic: Escape from Butcher Bay is a fine movie based game, that is being remade??? soonish. I'm well aware those are the exceptions, but they are exceptions that prove that despite being an advert they can also be a compelling game. It won't happen though as that is not their purpose in the video game industry. They are however my least favorite game in general.

3. Lifetime Movies. Bleh! And they all star Dean Caine, and all men are evil with their evil penies! Essentially they all have the same spot with the same poorly rehashed hash story and they all star Dean Caine. (To be clear the Dean Caine used here is to poke fun at Lifetime Movies, as Dean Caine has only started in three Lifetime Movies, though all of them he was the evil Man with the evil penis. That caused him to do evil things to woman, then there was some sorta law placed in or something.)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2010, 04:32:10 am »

Oh! Childhood memories! I feel like reading 'The Enchanted wood' and 'The Far Away Tree'.
'The Wishing Chair'. What author do all of these belong to?

I dunno. Romantic comedies... They all seem to be:

I mean, even 'I love you man' worked like that.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2010, 04:59:18 am »

2. I contest that franchise games are not games, but mostly I hate them.  I'm well aware those are the exceptions, but they are exceptions that prove that despite being an advert they can also be a compelling game. It won't happen though as that is not their purpose in the video game industry. They are however my least favorite game in general.

Yeah, it's just that there's a certain point where a game stops being a "tie-in game" and starts just being an advertisement, and that's when I get peeved and say its game status is revoked.  Pokemon was good.  Pokemon definitely counts as a game.  That one Superman game for the N64, though... no.

3. Lifetime Movies.

I can't believe I actually Googled that.  Seriously... argh.  "The Pregnancy Pact?"  What in the hell were these people thinking?

And yeah, romantic comedies are pretty bad.  I've built up a resistance because my mum likes them, but roundabout when they turned into endless crappy movies with "let's see if I can indoctrinate Vector with Normal Behavior" attached I sort of decided I just didn't care to watch anymore.  Romance is fine, but I just don't like the weird sort of expectations and so on that seem to come along with the woman-targeted movies in general.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2010, 05:03:52 am »

I thought red & blue came out before the series. Or at the same time or something...

Hunh.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2010, 05:19:29 am »

Red & Blue for its western release came out after the series followed by the card game. They all served to advertise and support one another. A comic book series was also released, though I dont believe it was as popular. Super Man 64 was a tie in to the fucking awesome Bruce Tim Superman series, I don't think it was meant to be an advert, it however failed on all level of design. Its as bad as ET for the Atari. I would never wish to see them go away though. Tie in games such as those always have a guarantee sale base of consumers. They don't have to be good or well made. They just have to work, and relate to the movie, somehow. Since they have a sale base installed, it means they can set the production budget in such a fashion where they are going to make a guarantee amount of money to work on something that isn't poo.

Lifetime Movies.
All of them are crap. Production quality, acting and writing are all well done. Its not like Chiller or Syfy movies, where thats a roll of the dice. However, its content is poo. The pregnancy pact is one of the rare Lifetime movie where it portrays woman as not heroic, or stoic or anything.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2010, 12:17:59 pm »

Favorite movie?
That is hard...
um...
The Fugitive

1. Least favorite book:
Anything involving Nazi Germany.
They have been shoveling that down my throat since grade school.

2. Least favorite video game:
That is a HARD question...
I'm going to pretend the questions is "most disappointing video game".
In that case, I'd have to say Rhiannon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Despite what it says on the case,
 it was SHIT compared to this amazing game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3. Least favorite movie:
I've probably repressed something horrible.
There were also those sequels to old comedy movies,
 which SHOULD HAVE featured Jim Carey.
The one that pissed me off the most was the Mask sequel.
Why didn't they just leave that possibility open,
 beg Jim Carey to do it for them,
 and if that didn't happen, just let it die?
Life would have been so much more dignified.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2010, 11:41:50 pm »

Installed consumer basis are a powerful motivator.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2010, 12:05:23 am »

I don't have a favorite movie.  I watch a movie, I enjoy it, that's it.  I don't rave about them for years afterward.

Least favorite book...  Pride and Prejudice.  All of the girls I know have impressed upon me that it's required reading, but I just can't do it.  All they do is talk, and Mr. Darcy makes thinly veiled insults.  I can't finish it.  It's boring.

Least favorite vidjya game...  Any of those games that try to get away with a lack of any redeeming qualities by covering it in "art."  That game with the old lady in the graveyard, The Path (As I've heard), a lot of indie games.

Least favorite movie...  Probably any of those generic "This football team is underdogs but the new coach who is black in a racist town/a woman/washed up/other hindrance is gonna take them to state but they'll lose the final match because winning isn't everything but it'll be a really close match because winning is most things" movies.  Remember the Titans, Facing the Giants, any of those movies.  The Comebacks, however, was hilarious.  When the wife looks at her husband's framed photo, and it's the one of him in his underwear getting tased in the groin.  Genius.
Shoes...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2010, 11:28:03 am »

1. Least Favourite Book?
Jane fucking Eyre. I hope I never have to read that sentimental load of weepy Victorian crap ever again.

Spore was disappointing.

There are too many to decide on one that I hate more than the others.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2010, 11:32:24 am »

1. Least Favourite Book?
2. If I had to pick one... Ah, there's a bunch right on the edge of memory, but I don't know the titles.  I don't want to be trite and just say Halo 2 (because I just don't think it was designed well).  Oh right, I remember.  Hitman.  How the fuck are you even supposed to play that?

Yeah, the first Hitman wasn't very good.  They hadn't gotten the hang of multiple methods of winning yet so you were pretty much stuck with the methods that would get you the highest score in the new games for everything.  Not a good situation, since a lot of those were insane.  I had to go commando and shoot everything that moved to win the mission with the cocaine guy.  That whole sequence of missions was awful, really.
Shoes...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2010, 01:37:04 pm »

Least favorite book? I've mentioned I'm not very well read, so I probably can't comment very well here. I have read some I refused to finish though, but I don't remember any names.

Least favorite game though? This I'm more capable of answering. While there's a lot of games that are just BORING (Gta 4, Most new sonic games, RE5 without a friend) and others that are just unlikable, I have a special game for this entry... World of Warcraft. Why? I haven't played it and can't actually comment on the gameplay but this game actually cost me a friend. When someone decides that they'd rather play something then even talk on the phone with you it's bad... Really bad. Up until he decided it really was more important than me. And he was such a nice guy too... And my only friend at the moment that happened. Good bye social life and hello two years of total loneliness until I joined here...

Movie? I can usually get some enjoyment from nearly any movie as long as I have a friend to help me heckle it viciously. But i'd have to go with Lifetime movies, totally unenjoyable no matter what you try. And honestly often insulting.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8