Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Question of the Week thread: Out of ideas  (Read 11289 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Question of the Week thread
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2010, 08:28:12 pm »

From what I hear, the petroleum industry need more engineers of all kinds. The pay is good, or so I hear.
Move to Norway, they'll give you more money than you can shake a stick at...I think (?)

Anyhoo, to contribute to this thread:
I'm still in school, just general education for the moment, and I'm just in the first of three years.
Though I'm taking this education, it's mostly for the novelty. If  I don't I won't get into universities and the like, even though I have no use for most of the subjects here, and learn mostly nothing new. Only subject  I think I really need is math.

I'm trying to train myself up to be a concept artist, for games, movies, and other things. Probably an illustrator for various other things too. I'm doing pretty good for the moment, although I don't get much practice due to general mental fatigue....yeah, insomnia and depression is a bitch.

Wanna work on a web comic? I'll be supply the what to draw part.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2010, 08:46:24 pm »

Wanna work on a web comic? I'll be supply the what to draw part.
Uhm, sure ...:D
sent a pm about it to not disturb this thread too much.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 08:56:38 pm »

I'm trying to train myself up to be a concept artist, for games, movies, and other things. Probably an illustrator for various other things too. I'm doing pretty good for the moment, although I don't get much practice due to general mental fatigue....yeah, insomnia and depression is a bitch.
You think that's bad. Try having a bottomless well of ideas, and then have it inexplicably dry up completely. Of course, RL is to blame for most of it. Plus, with the economy as it stands, I have no motivation to repair the well. So, not fatigue in the least.

So to put it, I'm like Professor Farnsworth. I get my ideas in my dreams and when I'm bored, and that's essentially it. At that rate, I'll be a creative genius when I turn senile. Funding be damned.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 09:00:46 pm »

You think that's bad. Try having a bottomless well of ideas, and then have it inexplicably dry up completely. Of course, RL is to blame for most of it. Plus, with the economy as it stands, I have no motivation to repair the well. So, not fatigue in the least.

So to put it, I'm like Professor Farnsworth. I get my ideas in my dreams and when I'm bored, and that's essentially it. At that rate, I'll be a creative genius when I turn senile. Funding be damned.
I find it worse to have more ideas than you can possibly imagine(zing!) and not be able to even try to make them, due to two things:
a) I don't feel like my skill would do it justice.
b) I have no energy to do it.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 09:08:04 pm »

I find it worse to have more ideas than you can possibly imagine(zing!) and not be able to even try to make them, due to two things:
a) I don't feel like my skill would do it justice.
b) I have no energy to do it.
Skill isn't really an issue for me, unless it absolutely matters (job-assigned or personal project). Plus, if I can afford to, I can always take classes on something I lack the necessary skill for, or find myself a book of tutorials on a program to familiarize myself, then apply my methods of furthering my skills.

And as for energy; my case is just laziness.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 10:04:35 pm »

I've discover that its the hard work that makes a good creative idea go from the fluttering moments in your head into something else you can show someone.

For years my partner and I would work on something until the initial ideas were drawn out, but we didnt flesh out to have any substantial to show. We've in the last two have gotten our stuff fleshed out that it can be worth showing to the general public. What we lack is capitol and or artists to get them presentable.

---
I'm unemployed almost 2 years now.

My dream job would be something with game design.  ^_^;;. I know that sounds incredibly vague, however I love all games. I've help make home grown systems for years for table top role playing games. I'm working on my own game universe and system called Irph, a wester sword and sorcery setting. I'm working on a parody of Monopoly called Fundamolpy, poking fun at fundamentalism of religion. Where the player try to monopolize pieces cultural influences. Boardwalk and Parkplace would be Moral and Ethics being the one I remember at the top of my head. Its very tongue in cheek, with most of the chance and community chest cards sending you to hell. Hell being the replacement for jail.

I've dabbled in card games, though I dont have anything of note to mention.

I would love to make a stable living off of my own intellectual properties.

I also have several ideas, that can make good video games for the x box market place, or the Playstation store, any real e market place of small games. The one that I think will garner the best story is about the Edmond Dantes coming back from Hell, being tormented by Jack the Ripper, who has escaped from hell as well. Its an odd combination of Dante Divine Comedy and Alexander Dumass novels with more of a super natural adventure feel for it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:23:38 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
Re: Question of the Week thread: Now with twice the question.
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2010, 06:07:22 pm »

OK, I know I'm really late, and I missed last week, so here's two questions:

The first, very straightforward, what is your favorite color. Mine is green.

The second, What is a hobby of yours? I consider cooking to be my hobby, not to be confused with baking, I don't like baking, there's too much waiting around for a few hours.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 06:10:24 pm »

my favorite color is blue...

as for hobbies, I like to play the piano, read, and I've recently started learning martial arts. Tung Soo Do and Brazilian jiu jitzu for those interested.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Jabberwock

• Bay Watcher
  • International Man of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 06:21:49 pm »

My favorite color is red. To me it stands for so many things.
As for hobbies, I read a lot, and take joy from cooking.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 06:26:24 pm »

I learn for a living! Various different groups pay me to learn including:
1. The government
2. Relatives
3. The University
4. The Masons

I missed your second question batch. I assumed that since your first post had been edited today it would be the most recent question. In that case I don't have a favourite colour. Maybe red as that is the team I always pick on TF2.

Hobbies... I don't really have hobbies, I game I guess.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:29:23 pm by Jreengus »
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 06:29:00 pm »

Hm.  My favorite color is red, too.

As far as hobbies go, I like reading and literary deconstruction, but learning languages is fun, too.  I also like taking long walks, especially in the rain.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 06:29:47 pm »

My favorite color is...
What was it called?

My hobby is finding ways to bend people's perception of happiness and success.
I try to show how you can get what you want with minimal sacrifice.
More realistically, that includes any skill perceived as difficult but which is fairly easy.
A good example would be solving a Rubik's Cube, or playing improv jazz.
I can do both.

A counter example would be martial arts, or any physical skill.
It defeats the purpose of learning something if it isn't worth the sacrifice.

Oh yeah, my favorite color is Orange.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 06:35:17 pm »

Favorite color: Silver
Hobby: I would have to say playing devils advocate with logic. Being able to manipulate someones reasoning until they reach what I consider a fairer viewpoint of something.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 06:39:38 pm »

My favorite color would have to be somewhere between blue and teal. It doesn't aggravate my eyes as much.

My hobbies include...games. Including video games and other, either more text- (such as Mafia) or outdoor-related (such as Ultimate Frisbee) games. I'm reading much less nowadays, but I used to do that all the time. I can appreciate watching a good sport, especially basketball (I love the teamwork going on), but I don't watch 'em as often as a lot of men do.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 07:28:17 pm »

Color: Blue.

Hobbies? Other than videogames, reading, and (right now) learning to program.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8